FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Caffeine In Everything (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Caffeine In Everything
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely eat/drink anything with large amounts of caffeine. I've decided that there's no point in getting addicted to it until at least college.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago someone here posted a link to a caffeinated soap. I was working 12 hour days at the time and seriously considered it. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I make a wondeful caffe mocha soap.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
And this is a problem.... why?

*works for Starbucks*
*sips coffee*
*twitch*
[Razz]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up soda/pop - whatever you call it where you're at - several years ago. I'll sometimes sip from my husband's glass.

I do drink a ridiculous about of Ice Tea. A blend of green tea, white tea, rooibus, and hearbal teas - the exact mix varies from day to day. Hey, loaded with antioxidants and keeps the weight down naturally.
Michelle

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The only form of caffeine I consume on a regular basis is chocolate, but I'm not consuming even that right now. I'm off sugar for at least the next month, and chocolate along with it.

I'm super sensitive to caffeine. One can of coke at 1pm will keep me awake until 3-5am. That sucks.

But then, melatonin doesn't work on me properly, either. I tried taking it, followed the directions, and promptly fell asleep. At 1pm the following afternoon. [Grumble]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I say give up Food and drink altogether! Whos with me? [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I can survive indefinitely with water and Luna bars (or as I like to call them, chocolately lembas bread).
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thoroughly caffeinated nearly 100% of the time.

I am immune to mosquito bites, they call me the "Skeeterkiller" and avoid me. My blood accelerates their tiny hearts until they explode.

I am superhuman!

If I go a day without caffeine, the stores in my body keep me from collapsing.

On a sad note, a part of my exquisite and complicated Cuisinart Grind and Brew coffeemaker (DGB-500R) broke off, and D*mned Hubby took the 'reserve coffeemaker' to work, so I will have to figure out how to make coffee the old-fashioned way. *le sigh*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Though the article states "half", working the numbers shows that there is a 60%reduction in risk of liver cancer in coffee drinkers when compared to those who don't drink coffee.
However, green tea also has caffeine and shows no such effect: so caffeine may not have anything to do with the risk reduction. Or caffeine may: there could be relevant synergistic interactions between other chemicals found in coffee (but not in tea) and caffeine.

Then one should also remember that proof of correlation is not proof of causation. The correlation could arise from nothing more than those who choose coffee as their main beverage also choose not to drink as much alcohol.

This was recent news, and so easier to find. I'll be back later when I find others.

[ February 25, 2005, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. That's interesting about the Green Tea.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Tea has more theophylline than caffeine IIRC. I do not count chocolate, but on the other hand I rarely eat it. Use lightly or eat three pounds so the anandamide kicks in. Edit: I recalled incorrectly. Tea still contains mostly caffeine, although it does have a noticeable theophylline content.

Minor, non-daily consumption will not result in phsyical dependency, as long as you are reasonably aware of the caffeine (and theobromine and theophylline) content of everything you eat. If you want to avoid aspartame, there are caffeine pills, caffeinated mints, and caffeinated water.

[ February 25, 2005, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
On the flip side... one of the benefits of caffiene addiction is tolerance.

I notice a lot of people saying that consuming a small ammount of caffiene will keep them up at night. That's because they have no caffiene tolerance. If you drink a ton of it all day... umm... like I do... then it doesn't keep you up becuase your body is used to it. You no longer fear accidental ingestion.

What you DO fear is missing your fix and ending up with splitting headaches =(

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have that problem. I practically never consume caffeine, except for chocolate, and chocolate caffeine never seems to cause me problems.

[ February 25, 2005, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting caffeine tolerance is exactly why I don't drink it a lot. It makes it all the more effective when I need it for a migraine.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
"Care to elaborate space opera?"

dpr and Farmgirl, I have no idea what you may be implying....

Ok, here's the truth. I've joined a religious cult bent on world domination. Caffeine is prohibited for the first year because it makes one too shaky around the weapons. [Evil Laugh]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what I was thinking, SO.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like it how only dark pop is allowed to have caffine here. It makes it much easier to know which ones to avoid if you don't feel like having something loaded in caffine.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I am a complete caffeineaholic I drink like two cokes a day and have somewhere between one too five cups of coffee. I am currently waiting to drop dead of it somehow. Also by the way Space Opera if you are already a caffeine addict then you wont get shaky right? So can I join your cult and still drink caffeine? Please...
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
RD, is Mountain Dew dark?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Getting caffeine tolerance is exactly why I don't drink it a lot. It makes it all the more effective when I need it for a migraine.
Me too, except with asthma. (high five)

I didn't even know Green Tea had caffiene for a while... I can drink it without many of the effects, but I still like it decaffienated better. (which is unnatural, but eh.)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My Mom, a very devout Mormon lady, for some reason continues to think that green tea is OK. It makes me giggle.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

RD, is Mountain Dew dark?

Mountain Dew doesn't have caffine...not here it doesn't, because it isn't dark
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Mountain Dew in Canada doesn't have caffeine, but Mountain Dew that I've had in the US does.

On another note. My father drinks something 36 cups of coffee a day. Nope, not kidding. Has done for the last 45 or so years. He's had brain aneurisms, strokes, and heart attacks. Related? [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
MD has more caffeine in it than dark sodas here in the US....more than Jolt does, even.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
RD, where do you live?
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

I'm in BC, about an hour from Vancouver and four minutes from the border
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.