FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Halle Berry accepts her Razzie in Person

Author Topic: Halle Berry accepts her Razzie in Person
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I like her. This is cool.
quote:
Now in its 25th year, the Golden Raspberry ceremony is typically held the day before the Oscars to recognize the year's worst film work, so it's no surprise that the winners almost never show up to collect their trophies. Which is why the audience at Saturday's ceremony, held at Hollywood's Ivar Theater, were stunned to see recent Oscar winner Halle Berry appear in person to collect her Razzie for Worst Actress for Catwoman, a movie that also won Worst Picture, Worst Director (single-monikered Frenchman Pitof) and Worst Screenplay.

''Thank you so much. I never in my life thought I would be up here,'' Berry said, according to People. ''It's not like I ever aspired to be here,'' she said, parodying her emotional speech from three years ago when she won a Best Actress Academy Award for Monster's Ball. Clutching her trophy, she told the cheering Razzie crowd, ''And no, I don't have to give this back. It has my name on it.'' She continued, ''I have so many people to thank, because you don't win a Razzie without a lot of help from others." Those included ''Warner Bros., for putting me in a godawful piece of s--- movie''; Pitof, whose instructions she said she couldn't understand; her manager, whom she dragged onto the Razzie stage, saying, ''Next time, read the script''; and her costars, because ''in order to give a really rotten performance like I did, you have to have a lot of terrible actors around you.''

Explaining her good-sport appearance, Berry said, ''When I was a kid, my mother told me that if you can't be a good loser, you can't be a good winner. If you can't take the criticism, then you don't deserve the praise.'' She recalled trying to be gracious when, as a young woman, she lost a beauty pageant to another woman, ''but all I wanted to do was f---ing beat the s--- out of her.'' She called her Razzie victory ''a lesson learned, and I hope to God I never have to see these people again.''

*laugh* Good for her. [Smile]
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] That is cool. To be fair, when she's not drunk or drugging, she has shown signs of humor before. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha. That's awesome.

Though I don't support her saying that Benjamin Bratt's a terrible actor. He's very good at playing policemen. Also, being hot.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for her!

[ROFL]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's pretty gutsy.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that took some brass. And a good sense of humor to boot. Kudos to her!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I am skeptical that this really happened. Links?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
She is a hoot. I've always respected her for setting her sights on David Justice and getting him. Even if the couple didn't work out, I like the fact that she went right after what she wanted.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
http://ichounslow.icnetwork.co.uk/showbiz/tm_objectid=15241226&method=full&siteid=50101&headline=halle--tearfully--accepts-razzie-name_page.html

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Entertainment/2005/02/28/944962-sun.html

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2005/02/28/berry_shows_she_can_play_a_good_loser_at_razzie_awards/

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=70715

[Smile]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/movies/mmx-0502280168feb28,0,106519.story?coll=mmx-movies_heds
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of respect for a person that can take her lumps as well as her praises. Good for her!! [Smile]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to have been proven wrong.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
A Hollywood celeb that can laugh at their foibles? What's this world coming to? [Eek!] [Eek!]

Next I suppose you'll tell me that actors can be elected governor. [Eek!] [Eek!] Oh wait, that did happen.

*hides under bed*

Somebody tell me when the apocalypse is over. [Angst]

[Wink]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only governor, they can become president.

[ February 28, 2005, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: urbanX ]

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I hereby forgive Halle Berry for stating in her Oscar acceptance speech "Thank you for making me the vessel."

I might still cringe slightly when I hear that, but then I will force myself to remember that she had the guts and the sense of humor to attend the Razzies and pick up her award in person.

I'm not so sure how the verbal inclusion of others in her "triumph" makes me feel. I hope they had a chance to discuss it with her ahead of time, or, better yet, attended the awards along with her. But it sounds like she might've gotten up on stage and "shared the blame" for that turkey with folks who weren't present and might not have had much of a sense of humor.

Too bad for them, but it still wasn't a nice speech if that's the case.

Still, good for her for attending and accepting the award.

I hope she displays it next to her Oscar.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
tinyURL.

Learn it.
Live it.
Love it.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
My gosh, now that takes some guts. I think I just may like her even more than ever.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
non-dobie: Halle Berry accepts her Razzie in Prison.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, I never actually saw the movie (the previews told me enough) but it is good to see someone can recognize when they have been in a crappy movie...and laugh about it.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, it could be that she shared the blame as a parody of all the thank-yous that Oscar recipients have in their speeches.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.