FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A mustard appreciation thread

Author Topic: A mustard appreciation thread
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
At my Henna party CT and Vàna gave me a lovely gift bag containing ten varieties of mustard. Also some chocolate, but this is about the mustard. We won’t be opening them all at once, since there wouldn’t be room in the fridge (we’ve already got 7 or 8 other jars open), but I’ll bump this as needed to review them.

Feel free to post your own mustard reviews as well.

Today we tried the Gourmet Florida brand Key Lime Mustard. It’s a little bit grainy and has a texture like thin peanut butter. Alone on a cracker it has a layered taste – nicely sweet and with a distinct lime-y note. Which is great – the only other lime mustard I’ve had was more generically citrus. This one is definitely lime. It complimented a sandwich of provolone cheese and buffalo spiced sliced chicken perfectly.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very impressed with it as well. The smell is like a normal dijon, but it doesn't have any wine in it. The sequence of flavors was just amazing. First you get a kind of weird "bite" as your mouth says "hey, this isn't mustard!" Then, the mustardy flavor comes through and the palate relaxes as if to say "yum" or maybe "yummy." And then there's this lime undercurrent that starts to build. Now the mouth is thinking "I like where you're going with this but don't take it too far, you know?" And just like that...it's over. The mustard is in the tummy, the flavors are just memories, and it's time for the next bite.

Ah...bliss.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that my favorite mustard of all is Grey Poupon. I have tried many, but that one goes straight to my heart.

Try fish or chicken slathered with Grey Poup, sprinkled with your favorite herbs, and baked in the oven in aluminum foil. It's like buttah!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh! No me gusta la mostaza!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Today we tried the Gourmet Florida brand Key Lime Mustard.

Oooo! Zesty!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Grey Poupon as well, but key lime mustard sounds like something I have to try.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Mustard is a mystery to me, like horseradish. Who was the first guy to put it into his mouth and go "hmmm... not bad, not bad."?!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I *might* be allergic to mustartd. It's a theory I have yet to check.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I just love both mustard and horseradish! [Razz]

And then I came to France and all mustards are (almost) alike... Grrr!

Edit: And I know this is gonna get me killed, but I don't like ketchup. There, I said it! [Big Grin]

[ March 01, 2005, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I like cheap yellow mustard. It's the most mustardy.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like ketchup, either, except occasionally on fries. 'Cause fries just kinda need ketchup sometimes. Although they usually prefer mayo. But ketchup is not good for anything else.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like cheap yellow mustard.
Yes, but I love you anyway.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, bunbun! cheap, yellow mustard is the best!

(Edited to add: And I stand in awe of people who are at peace with their tastebuds and can sublimely enjoy a wide variety of new tastes and textures. [Smile] )

[ March 01, 2005, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie darling, one day I'll cook you Indian, and start off the curry by frying mustard seeds in hot oil. Then you can appreciate mustard. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I love strongly flavored, pungent mustards.

Another kind of mustard I love is the real spicy Chinese mustard. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
mustard pretzels!! yeah! [Big Grin]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at a Subway for three and a half weeks (hated it), but every time someone asked for mustard, I had to ask which kind. Regular mustard, dijon mustard, or honey mustard? I was partial to the honey mustard.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. I'm rather disgruntled.
I specifically indicated in the appropriate thread that I was going to buy you mustards for your wedding, and indeed this mustard is one of the mustards I've already purchased.

*kicks Julie and Sara*

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Guess we should have registered for mustards after all. [Big Grin]

It's good -- we'd eat more. Or you could try it yourself.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I might just force-feed it to Sara. Although maybe that's not much of a punishment. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I know this is gonna get me killed, but I don't like ketchup. There, I said it!
Yes, yes it is. *prepares bashing stick*

Personally, I used to dislike mustard, spicy foods, and horseradish. Also wasabi. Now I like them all; my fave mustard, though, is good, old-fashioned Gulden's Spicy Brown. Gourmet mustards don't do too much for me.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you enjoyed it, dkw.

quote:
Hrm. I'm rather disgruntled.
I specifically indicated in the appropriate thread that I was going to buy you mustards for your wedding, and indeed this mustard is one of the mustards I've already purchased.

*kicks Julie and Sara*

This is terrible.

My first recollection of knowing you two were going to go with mustards for the wedding gift was when it came up in conversation with Christy. At that time I noted that I had had the same idea and had already purchased some (Slimm&Nunn horseradish and jalopeno, I think, although I don't think I specified so at the time). I didn't realize you had intended an exclusive gift, although I can certainly see how that would make it much more special.

I can give you the specifics of the other mustards over the phone, but I believe there was only the Key Lime one and 6 or 7 tiny little sample mustards (dill, champagne, honey, etc). The details of how we came to get those are interesting but kind of off-topic, so I'll leave that to a private conversation.

Of course I will refund/purchase any mustards you have bought which are duplicates, and I publically offer an apology. Had I known, I would have returned them and gotten something else. I'll do that with the ones I have for the wedding, and I'll just get something from the registered set of gifts. That should prevent any duplications.

Also in the gift bag of hostess gifts/bridal shower gifts were chocolate bars from Green&Black (white, maya (dark with orange and spices), milk, dark, and milk with almonds). We additionally included 2 Spotted Cows, 4 Fat Squirrels (all from New Glarus Brewery), a bag of Wisconsin Bucky pretzels, a wedge of gouda, and a hunk of cranberry white cheddar cheese. Please let me know if any of these are similarly problematic.

Again, my apologies.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I like my mustard on french fries. Mmmmmm mustardy french fries! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen on the other hand... [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been fond of normal yellow mustard, but two mustards I've recently discovered in my refrigerator are Ingleboffer's Stone Ground mustard and East Shore's Sweet and Tangy Mustard. They both rock my socks way, way off.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseable Nurse
Member # 7162

- posted      Profile for Poseable Nurse           Edit/Delete Post 
CT there is absolutely no problem with duplicating the New Glasrus products, or if there was a problem, I solved it by consuming the Fat Squirrel. It was excellent. Without mustard of course. Thanks vpw
Posts: 21 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...duplication of mustards is NEVER a problem. All will be gratefully consumed. I mean, it's not like you each bought us a toaster.

or is it?

did you get us matching toasters?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

That would be cool. I don't want Bob's crumbs in MY toaster.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Fine! I'll brush myself off before getting in there.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] [No No] You two, there are minors who read these threads... [Wink] [Big Grin]

[ March 02, 2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not even going to comment, I mean aside from the comment I am already making.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw - I was at our local annual Home & Garden show yesterday, and there was one booth with a local woman who made her own brand of several types of mustard.

I almost bought you one to bring as a gift, but then couldn't decide what you would like best. What is you favorite kind of gourmet mustard? Sweet? Tangy? Hot?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, did you eat the Green&Black's Maya Gold yet? That's my favourite chocolate ever! Talking of which, I have an as yet unopened 100g bar in a bag somewhere in my room.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
::sneaks in, cleverly and convincingly disguised as Icarus::

Using Icarus voice:

"I just wanted to say I don't like mustard."

[Razz]

::runs out, tosses disguise into nearby storm drain::

[ March 04, 2005, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky! I didn't know. [Smile]
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this and thought, "How appropriate!"
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*drools*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Not only is it appropriate, it's where I bought all of the mustards for Dana's wedding gift. [Smile]
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
However, you're in luck! It doesn't look like there were any duplications after all! [Smile] So get ready to be thouroughly mustarded!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Oh dear, I missed that I'd been asked a question.

As I am not a huge fan of dark chocolate, I took the Maya bar along to a continuing education event and shared it with my small group. I've found that when people are going to be critiquing your work it is always a good idea to feed them.

The two squares I ate were quite tasty, and several people wrote down information off the label, so I would say it was a hit. The white chocolate with vanilla bean was also very good. I have been saving the milk chocolate for last.

And, as I mentioned in the henna thread, the white cheddar with dried cranberries was absolutely marvelous.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mustard is useful when making dressing for pasta salad, honey-mustard sauce for chicken, and such. Ketchup is helpful when making sweet-and-sour sauce. Horseradish -- including wassabi -- is a decent substitute for smelling salts in a pinch.

Other than that, they are all detestable. *shudder* Mayonnaise is the Supreme Condiment.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Egad, rivka. You're weird.
See, mayo is like the one condiment that I use very sparingly, if at all, and generally consider overused in any dishes that call for it. When I make any dish that references mayonnaise, I find that cutting the mayo portion in half usually improves it in every way.

The same cannot be said of mustard, which is a wonderful, beautiful thing. And horseradish, which is equally beautiful. Horseradish mustard is a thing of exquisite loveliness.

[ March 07, 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Rani Sambol Oelik
Member # 8020

- posted      Profile for Rani Sambol Oelik   Email Rani Sambol Oelik         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, Sambol Oelik is the supreme condiment. Hot enough to blow most people's socks off. [Evil]
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.