FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another newbie

Author Topic: Another newbie
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure if the newbies around here were allowed/appreciated/required to make an introductory post, but Gambusi did it, so I will too.

I'm a college student in Ohio majoring in Art and Technology. For most of the Art and Technology students here, that means computer animation. I originally enrolled in the program for that, but after trying it out for three and a half years, I've decided computer animation is just not the thing for me. So I'm now on my last semester and my wonderful teacher has allowed me to work on anything I want, which is making movies.

I'm very much looking forward to graduation in May. I don't have any solid plans of what I'll be doing, but I love the possibilities of leaving it wide open. There is a summer camp that I've worked at for the past two summers, and I'll probably be there again this summer, but come August, I don't know. It's a very exciting time.

I play the piano, I love to read, and I love going to the library. In the past year, I've become involved in the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is an international group that recreates the Middle Ages. I hate winter and being cold. I want to live somewhere warm. I watch a lot of movies. The worst thing about college is the lack of sleep. Chocolate peanut butter pancakes are the most delicious breakfast in the world.

That last paragraph was quite a hodge-podge, but it's not easy to be coherant when I'm talking about myself.

It's nice to meet you all!

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack! [Wave]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack! I agree--lack of sleep definitely is the worst thing about college.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Welcome to Hatrack! I'm glad you decided to introduce yourself. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
A thousand welcomes!

(which school do you go to? I'm looking into applying to Wooster...)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
SCA - such fun to watch - tell us more about your persona . . .

and welcome!

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Hester! [Wave]

I'm Raia. I hope we'll be friends! [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, welcome to Hatrack! [Smile]
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The worst thing about college is the lack of sleep.
Wow, this is the total opposite from my experience [Sleep] [Wink] .

Welcome!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Welcome!! It sounds like you'll love it here.

There's another poster around here who went to college for computer animation and then change to Film and Television.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Hope you enjoy it here!

quote:
Chocolate peanut butter pancakes are the most delicious breakfast in the world.
Sounds like something I could get into....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
fun fun fun
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thank you for all the big welcomes! I feel special. [Smile]

quote:
(which school do you go to? I'm looking into applying to Wooster...)
I go to Youngstown State University, but my hometown is actually only about 30 minutes from Wooster. I've heard that the College of Wooster is a very good school, and accordingly, very expensive. They're famous for the bagpipes and Irish dancers in their marching band. And they all wear kilts too.

quote:
SCA - such fun to watch - tell us more about your persona . . .

Well, it took me seven months to even decide on a name, so the whole persona development will take me a long time. I'm gravitating toward 12th century Anglo-Saxon, but that's all I have so far. My name is Emeline of Rivenvale, until I can find a suitable last name. Do you participate in the SCA, Shan, or do you just watch?

quote:
Wow, this is the total opposite from my experience
Teshi, what would you consider the worst part about college? Or do you just mean that you actually got a lot of sleep?
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Welcome to the 'Rack!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- was in the SCA for 13 years. [Smile] Don't play anymore though, not for years.

Welcome to Hatrack, Hester! Did you choose your name from the Anne of Green Gables series? Every time I see it, I think of 'little Hester Gray', as Anne called her. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Jeni: So THAT'S why her name looks familiar! I couldn't quite place it!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The worst thing about college is the lack of sleep.
I didn't have a lack of sleep in college. I replaced it with a lack of classroom attendance [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Gutentag! Hola! Hello! Konichewa!
[Wave] [Wave] [Wave] [Wave]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Nice to have you around. [Wave]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I can dig art, peanut butter and SCA.

I like you already [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] HesterGray. Hope you stick around. [Smile]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Hester...

quote:
allowed/appreciated
is the right way of putting it. There is very little that is required to post here, other than what is listed in the user agreement.

Kwea

[ March 01, 2005, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! An Anne of Green Gables fan!! [Smile] Welcome!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

Yes, Hester Gray is from Anne of Green Gables. I wondered if anyone was going to notice. [Smile]

In case anyone wants to know, my real name is Laura.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

I like your older brother Dorian.

Welcome to Hatrack.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read the title of this thread I thought it said "Heather Newbie" (a girl I know)

oh yeah, welcome

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Anne of Green Gables is awesome - that's it! We need a PAc NW get-together marathon of Anne of Green Gables and goodies!

I have heretofore only watched SCA stuff - unless you count being Princess #12 in "Once Upon A Mattress" musical . . . [Big Grin] I envy those that actually dive in! Good for you!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*is happy she got Bob's Oscar Wilde reference* [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I got Bob's reference too! [Smile]

And Mr. Gumby... you know a girl named Heather Newbie?

Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
... and there I was thinking it was a reference to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*is happy she got Bob's Oscar Wilde reference*
*is happy she got Narnia's reference to Bob's Oscar Wilde reference* [Wink]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I'd be way up for an Anne of Green Gable marathon. My family isn't as in love with the series as I am.

We're thinking about moving closer to Seattle this summer, btw. Marysville/Everett/Lynnwood/Bothell area. Where are you?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.