FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » jello pudding pops

Author Topic: jello pudding pops
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm walking down the ice cream isle , hoping against hope that this time they would be there. For as long as I can remember I have had this moment of hope in the grocery and every time my dreams are dashed against the cold, hard commecial laminate floor.

But... what is this? Stuck in the middle of the PopSicle brand boxes? Could it be? IT IS!!!! They're back! Jello Pudding Pops!!!!! Glorious Happy Days!

Should I be this excited about a frozen treat? Who cares! these things freaking rock!

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Joel
Member # 5357

- posted      Profile for Billy Joel           Edit/Delete Post 
::in a Bill Cosby voice::

"....With the JELLO pudding pops!!!"

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't just make your own? [Confused]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
You can make pudding pops?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, yes. I never knew you could buy them, I've been making them for years. My mom taught me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Here's a recipe that looks like what I do, except I use popsicle molds.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Homemade is not as good!!!! For me there was a certain taste memory that I was always seeking. Vanilla Jello pop. I had tried the imitators and the homemade but it was the authentic Jello brand pudding pop I was after and now that I've found it I am a happy man.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, having never had the store-bought ones, I don't have that problem.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

See... for you the childhood memeroy was of making them with your mom and you can recreate that anytime you want. I had the memory of getting them as special treats from time to time and then Jello up and took them off the selves. I'm just glad they are back and wanted to share my joy.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ah, I see. Well, let me party with you, then. [Party]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a pudding pop? [Confused]

Seriously, *pout* I feel very uncultured. First popovers, now pudding pops... anything else you guys want to bring up that I've never heard of?!

--

But hey, I can make babaganoush. [Big Grin] And cholent, and empanadas! So there!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, next time you're buying food, get one of those instant pudding packages (they're as ubiquitous in Israel as they are here -- in fact, I brought back an industrial-size container [Big Grin] ) and some milk. Follow the directions to mix it up, then pour into little paper cups (popsicle sticks are useful but optional).

Freeze. Remove from cup. (If stickless, stab with a fork.) Yum!

. . . I'm suddenly hungry. And craving instant pudding. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Homemade pudding pops just aren't the same. There's this interesting feel to Jello pudding pops -- particularly, as observed, the vanilla ones -- that made them unique. They're not in our local grocery yet, sadly. [Frown]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what else they don't make anymore? Cream filled popsicles. They still have the orange ones everywhere, but you used to be able to get the box of straight-up colored popsicles, and also the box of colored popsicles with cream filling. The reason this is important is because the green was the best. Now all they make is the stupid orange. [Mad]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

I'm glad you understand Tom. All these people talking about homemade just don't get it.

I'm seriously not joking about the years I've been looking in the freezer section hoping to find them again. I know this is a sad thing to admit but it's the truth. Hopefully this means they will be mass produced again and you will be finding them in your own grocery. They aren't in the white and brown box any more (at least that is the packaging I remember) They are now made by PopSicle Brand. They still are the authentic Jello pops and have the jello brand marked on the box but they are in the yellow box with the red and blue PopSicle brand in the corner. The only complain I have about them is that they now have the standard popsicle shape instead of the flat double wide style. But this is minor as the taste is exactly how I remebered it.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh ...

And there was that thin, infinitesimal but oh so important glaze of ice on the outside of the Jello-pop. You could crack it with your teeth. You had to melt through it with your tongue before the creamy sweetness would release itself to you.

Oh, yeah.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

[Smile] definately a great part of the experience.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I still look for them too, beatnix. [Frown]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I found them last month. My freezer has not been without them since. Now if they would just bring back the Jello pops I would be a happy woman.

[ March 03, 2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, I've never had green ones, but in my grocery stores you can get boxes that have, in addition to orange, red and purple.

I like the red ones best, myself.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
CT,

I too was fascinated with the ice coating that surrounded the pudding goodness. I even used to crunch the outer perimeter of the pudding pop and would try to loosen and lick off an entire sheet of ice.

After countless boxes, I got pretty good, too.

Make no mistake, I am going to stalk my local grocer and if puddin pops are not there, I am going (not postal, mind you) pharmical ...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, with the current "half-popsicle" design you can't slide off a nice big sheet of ice like you could with the wider pops.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Tom, there's no question that the commercial ones have a certain something that the homemade ones do not.

But I figured Raia might at least taste the closest thing she's going to find in Israel, neh?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE PUDDING POPS!!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... Pudding pops.....

(drools)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, rivka! [Smile] For helping uncultured me figure it out...
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Are these at all similar to the Flintstones pudding pops? 'Cause I loved those. I started eating them 'cause they were the least healthy thing I could find in a health food store my mom used to stop at daily. I either got that or one of those smoothies.

And I think this article (warning: some language) pretty much sums up what you guys are talking about.

[ March 03, 2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No, Raia, not cultured! That's frozen yogurt.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, real frozen yogurt. Some frozen "yogurt" is uncultured. *clamps mouth shut to prevent vomiting*
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Is pudding a liquid?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

It has liquid like properties. Being all fluid and what not with the ability to change shape to fill a volume.

By the way I am so pumped that I'm not the only sad lost soul that has been looking for these to hit the shelves again. Being excited about something trivial is so much cooler when other people share the fun.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom started buying them last year. I like the swirl ones.

Edit: I pressed edit by accident.

[ March 03, 2005, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is pudding a liquid?
I'd call it an amorphous solid.

Actually, I think it's a colloid.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

A colloid, specifically a gel.
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sooo happy! I just got some from the store! I haven't had these since high school! Now I just need to decide which flavor to have 1st! [Big Grin]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love pudding.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Vanilla is by far the best.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Y'know, maybe I'm going to have to get some. I've been mulling it over, and this thread is staying up...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.