FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Long Hair Support Group Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Long Hair Support Group Thread
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm entering new territory here. I mean, my hair has been this long before, but it has been a very long while. It's long enough to get pinched in my arm pits when I work out, and long enough to get zipped in my jackets or for my husband to roll over on it in bed.

It keeps getting pulled. I can't really reach the ends in the back to style it. I like it long, and gosh knows Ron does. I like to use hair sticks and do the French Twists and all that mess, but I have questions.

I still want to grow it, but should I have it trimmed? How often, since I do still want it longer (just to see how long I can stand it)?
Should I treat the ends with something to reduce splits and breakage?

I'm getting my first stray grey hairs, does that make me too old for the long hair look? I'm not going to pluck/color them - I earned every one, let me tell you!

Should I do a loose braid at night to keep down the snarles? I don't have a big problem with tangles, but I wonder if it's bad for my hair to sleep with it down. Ron likes it down, but it sometimes ends up under him and being awakened by a hard yank to the hair is not really my idea of fun.

Lovely Ladies of Hatrack, Adivise Me!

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have very long hair, and the only problems I really have are with it clogging up the bathroom drain! [Big Grin]

Do you pull it back and tie it for workouts? I often braid mine at night, especially during the summer, just for coolness -- get it up off my neck makes for less sweat.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oh - and I MUST comment on this:
quote:
I'm getting my first stray grey hairs, does that make me too old for the long hair look?
I'm beginning to get a few white hairs (redheads usually go white instead of grey). So I said to my teenage kids "guess when it all goes white I will have to get it cut into the "old ladies" cut. And my kids had an absolute FIT!
"You will NOT cut your hair mom!
You've always had long hair!
It is okay to have long hair that is white!" etc. etc.

So I guess it must be okay [Wink]

FG

[ March 04, 2005, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually braid it or something, unless I have a breakout and want to hide (gray hair and pimples, I am so lucky).
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll comment more later on the rest (my hair is only 3-4 inches past my shoulders right now, but it's been to my waist before), but I have to say that I love it when gray (and white) haired ladies have long hair. To me, it's a sign of a free spirit. My friend Amy says, "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional."
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I would need some advice too. My hair are long, but for years I did cut the little locks around my face, because, well, I liked it. Then I decided to let them grow and attach them with the other hair whan they are long enough, but it seems to take sooo much time and now they are always annoying me in my face, I wonder if I should cut them again.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Does nose hair count to be included in this thread?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
My eyebrow hairs get really long.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Mine too. [Frown]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] Damn hippies.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes roll over on my own hair and pull it. What I usually do if it's not braided is to grab it and twist it up on top of my head (while laying down, so it's really beside rather than on top) and just leave it there without fastening it. It comes untwisted, but it normally stays out of the way for the rest of the night.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Then I decided to let them grow and attach them with the other hair whan they are long enough, but it seems to take sooo much time and now they are always annoying me in my face, I wonder if I should cut them again.
Be patient Anna. I just went through that stage and it took forever to grow my bangs back out to the length of my other hair so they could be tied back, but after almost two years, it is doable. But it is an annoying process.

I often wear my hair "up" -- meaning pull it back or braid up and then clip it up in a bun. That is great for workouts. Or for windy days.

FG

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had long hair pretty much my entire life, with varying degrees of care for it, so I'll share what I've gotten out of the experiences thus far:

quote:
I still want to grow it, but should I have it trimmed? How often, since I do still want it longer (just to see how long I can stand it)?
Absolutely! This is very nearly a must-do. When hair is that long, 3 or 4 inches (the normal amount to clip to make it look good again) is barely noticeable, and it'll do wonders for styling and the general look. As for how often... I normally go a bit longer between trims, especially since they're more functional than cosmetic. I'll give it anywhere from 3 months to a year, but I'm not always the best at keeping up my hair :blush:

quote:
Should I do a loose braid at night to keep down the snarles?
If your hair is pretty curly, then this wouldn't be a terrible idea. My hair is wavy-curly and I don't braid it, so I sometimes have troubles brushing it in the morning. Maybe I'll try it, but if you don't have problems, don't worry about it.

My hair currently reaches to my low back, as a point of reference. At its longest, it was slightly past my bum, but I chopped a bunch off and donated it to Locks of Love.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm growing mine out again, it's just barely past my shoulders now. I know that long isn't really the best style for thin, fine hair, which mine is, but I can't think of anything else to do with it. A few years ago I had a buzz-cut with spiky bangs, which looked really good with my face, but alas, I fear I'm too old for that now. And I got tired of the near-constant maintenance of keeping it that short. Now I just trim my bangs (Vulcan bangs! yay!) every couple weeks, which is manageable. I guess there's one good thing about it being so thin; even once it gets long again, I'll still be able to stuff it all under my swimming cap [Razz]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would definately braid the hair at night; I did all the time when mine was long. (It's still past shoulder length, just not halfway down my back like I kept it before baby.) And as for greys, I think there is nothing cooler than a grey-haired lady with a full, long head of hair. You used to see it all the time, but the ladies who are currently "old" are the ones who grew up in the 30s and early 40s when short hair was in. So feel free to keep your hair long; you're a different generation, you know.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

By the way, what are French Twists ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a hairstyle I could never do with my wonky curly hair. [Grumble]

[ March 04, 2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
A French Twist is a hairstyle like this , this, or this .
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Thanks ! That's classy. I don't think I could do that with my hair though, they are too thin and look weird if I try to attach them too tighly.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I put my hair into two braids most nights. I hate rolling over on to it, and it tickles me when I wear it down.

During the day, my hair usually looks like the link Ketch posted. I do it with little clips, and my hair is wavy enough that I can put it up wet and it looks fine. It takes me about 30 seconds. Yay!

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmph. *is jealous of Katie* I agree on hating to roll over onto braided hair, though. I usually braided it and then clipped it on top of my head to avoid that problem. Now that it's shorter (and before when I was really, really tired) I just put it up on top of my head in a bun or something similar with a scrunchie, to keep it out of the way.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to cut my hair for the production of Harvey--where is the support group for me? [Cry]

My hair was well past my shoulder blades. I cut it back to shoulder length hoping that would be enough, but it wasn't, so now it's barely neck length.

When it was really long I would mostly get it caught by chairbacks when I was sitting down. It didn't really cause any issues while sleeping. I also was starting to find it hard to reach the ends when brushing. While I was growing it, the period waiting for the bangs to get long enough to stay back out of my face was the worst thing, but I think men look pretty stupid with short bangs and long hair, so there wasn't really a choice.

*sigh*

♪Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!♫

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Carrie said - trimming it is neccessary, but you don't have to do it too often. I trim mine every 6 months, and I just have my sister do it - she cuts it straight along the bottom, and I save myself 20 bucks. (hairstylists hate it when you show up with long hair and want it dried anyway.)

If your hair's naturally curly, long hair is all kinds of fun. I wash mine and either braid it or twist it and secure it with bobby pins. Then, I wear down it that night or the next day without combing or brushing it at all - you just let it do its thing. Sometimes, I wash it at night and sleep on it and wake up the next morning and go. Ever since the long, wavy, free look got cool I haven't touched a blow dryer or a brush in years. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Suckers! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, have long hair and usually it does not pose much of a problem. It has been this way for close to 20 years though, so maybe I'm just used to dealing with it. For sleeping, usually I do as described by dkw above, twist it a little and throw it up behind my head and it doesn't seem to get in the way. If I try to sleep with a braid, even a loose one, I usually wake up with a headache.

As far as growing it out from bangs, hang in there. I've found that once you hit one of those weird times where it drives you crazy and all you want to do is cut it, if you can hold out for about a week, the urge will go away and all will be good again... until the next one, of course. I say this because, even now, sometimes it will make me crazy and I'll get a thought to cut it, but if I can make it a few days, it will go away.

Also, the best thing I have ever found for holding my hair up (and one of my jobs is in a bakery - I don't want to eat my hair and I'm certain no one else does either) is a three pronged hair stick that I got at the Renaissance Festival a few years ago. I use it all the time and it is fantastic. In fact, I need to make it to this year's faire so that I can buy several more to have backups in case I lose or break this one.

Lastly, to Farmgirl - [Big Grin] cheers!! for fellow readheads!!

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

We need an updated REDHEAD count on this board!

Redheads! Stand up and be counted:

Me (Farmgirl)
Arevoj
Raia
Hobbes (yes, guys too)
Psychotriad
mack
quidscribis
maui babe?
Pixie

who else? REAL natural redheads - not those who dye..

FG

[ March 04, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm strawberry blonde. It's almost a redhead. My hair will turn white too!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I love real red hair. I dyed my hair red for about three years in college. Does that count. *hopeful*
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'll count you, mack, because in the sunlight yours definately looks red.

No dying [No No]

As Carrottop once said - the carpet has to match the drapes.... [Wink]

mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]
arevoj
Member # 7347

I suppose my hair would also be considered more strawberry blonde, but most people just say red - except my brother who calls me "neon head".

[ March 04, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: arevoj ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

[Eek!]

I can't think of anything I would be less inclined to discuss in public.

arevoj
Member # 7347

[Blushing] No, no, no... complete misunderstanding - you see I should read the immediate previous posts first even though I think I am quick to respond!!!! Not what I was talking about at all...
AntiCool
Member # 7386

*plays the tune Red-Haired Boy on the guitar*

[ March 04, 2005, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

arevoj
Member # 7347

Ick...
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Ick? It's a fun tune!

[ March 04, 2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
What?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Apparently, you are now a red-head.
arevoj
Member # 7347

Not the song. *still blushing*
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also growing my hair out again. Since I only get it cut, like, twice a year, hopefully it won't take too long. I never get split ends anymore, and a few ideas as to why: I almost never brush my hair. (I do blow dry it, but not completely dry.) It's curly, so I use a pick, but for straight hair a comb would probably do. In order to do this without pain, I condition every time I wash my hair, which is at least every day. The only time I have issues untangling it is when I go to bed with it wet (rarely). I always sleep with it loose because I had a bad experience after having it in a bun for several days straight (I still washed it every day, but it never had a chance to dry fully which led to a mildew smell. Yucky.).

Um, I am too young to accept my gray hairs, so I dye regularly. Pomegranate is my color of choice.

For curly hair, long or not-so-long, this stuff is fantastic. Walmart or Target has it for $4, but this was the first link that worked.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have long, fake red hair. But in the right light, even when left natural, it looks red. My dad's whole family has red hair, so right now i sort of blend in but not usually.

I don't know how to braid my own though, which is sometimes a problem, like I can braid other people's, just can't do it backwards. [Cry]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I personally look forward to baldness or grey hair, whichever comes first.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
But in the right light, even when left natural, it looks red.
Would that be red light? [Razz]
mackillian
Member # 586

My sister has told me I am never allowed to grow my hair out. As she is the cosmetologist, I don't get to decide what happens to my hair. My sister also informed Nathan of this before we got married, that upon marrying into the family, he surrendered all rights to his hair to her.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ketchup Princess has a reddish tint to her hair. When asked the color, we always say "red-brown-blondish". Does that count? [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'll let you know in May, kq! [Big Grin] Besides, Princess (your daughter, right?) - does she actually have a screen name on Hatrack now?

FG

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few red highlights, but otherwise, I'm as brunette as brunette can be.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Have you ever had long hair, mack? I'll be real interested to see how much different you look with long hair.

FG

mackillian
Member # 586

The longest I've ever had my hair was shoulder length. I discussed growing it out with my sister, and she said it wouldn't frame my face correctly. That somehow, I have the right face for ubershort hair. I could scan a pic of me with shoulder length hair if you want to see.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Besides, Princess (your daughter, right?) - does she actually have a screen name on Hatrack now?
Nah, she's a little too young to type (although she does have her own e-mail address). When she does register, though, she'll be real already. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.