FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » His Life For Auir

Author Topic: His Life For Auir
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
His Life For Auir

As a guy said there:

"The bad thing is, I actually remember all of those quotes. God I'm such a nerd."

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There should be an automatic system for people who spent over a fixed amount of time on Battlenet.

mmph, Cor, euthanasia's a liitle much--how about noise-cancelling headphones.
No, they'd have to be strong-AI controlled--there's no stopping dealing with idiots, though at least they were entertaining idiots. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Cor, euthanasia's a litle much
I couldn't agree more. I mean, what fun would this life be without the usual crazyness?!

The guy who wrote that would probably like to know that in Korea (not sure if it's North or South) they have a TV channel that's transmitting Starcraft games 24h/day. [Razz]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"nuclear launch detected"

One of my best friends is a terran whiz. Those three words will haunt me for the rest of my days. [Eek!]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Psst, Morbo, you may want to call him Corwin... last time I shortened to Cor, both he and Icarus jumped on me! [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
I will in the future, Raia. [Smile]
Morbo

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I recognize all those lines and can think them in my head with voices. I usually play Protoss and sometimes Zerg. Never terran.

Been playing World of Warcraft, though. I have a night elf druid and an undead mage. Mmmm warcrack.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play...Warcraft II, I think. I quote the peasants to this day: "yesh." "yesh mashtah" "righto".
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Long live the Protoss Empire!
Long live Aiur!
Long live the Conclave!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that brings back memories.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
"I am about to dispense some indiscriminate justice!"

It's amazing how those little Protoss things exploded like bugs on a hot day under some well-intended incoming.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I used to play Starcraft way too much. Not only do I remember all those quotes... but I could definately see 7th and 8th grade me and my gamer friends going to steak and shake in the middle of an all night LAN party and doing something like that just for kicks.

I usually go zerg, no one can touch me when I get my 4 lairs up and spitting out 12 hydro's at a time. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ultralisks all the way, man! They're virtually indestructible.

I usually played Zerg, too. Sometimes Protoss or Terran, but mostly Zerg. Starcraft is still my all time favorite strategy game.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

What have I unleashed here?! [Eek!] :runs away:
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*plagues thread*

*burrows*

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

*detects Beren*

*irradiates him*

Ok, I admit! We're still playing Starcraft around here. [Big Grin]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Zog zog ! (/warcraft)

[ March 07, 2005, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my copy of Starcraft and the expansion packs around here somewhere. Damn, I even have Homeworld around here too. Probably in the same place.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ultralisks all the way, man! They're virtually indestructible.
I'll see those ultralisks and raise you a squadron of queens with spawn broodling.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
*steals Yogi's Ultralisks and turns Shig's queens inside out*

*scampers back to shield battery*

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
*takes her daedric dai-katana and kills everyone*
*steals all she can take from their bodies*
*goes away humming Morrowind theme*
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a hyrdolisk guy myself. I loved going all Starship Troopers (the movie).
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

While I am indeed a Terran at heart, there is nothing more depressing than watching a floating wave of the Zerg heavy bombers systematically oblitering your ground installations from a distance.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Zerg heavy bombers? is that from one of the expansion packs? 'Cuz that doesn't ring a bell.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved playing as the Terrans, but I did the best as Protoss. I just don't have the 'throw hundreds of units at them' mentatility. Of course, one of my friends was the guy who never lost at Starcraft. My greatest 'victory' over him was once catching his Battlecruiser staging area before he was ready, taking out most of them with my Carriers. [Cool]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I love about Starcraft is the awesome story...especially about the Protoss.
I find the idea that their entire strategic defense plan rests on the secret location of the Homeworld very interesting. That while they have the highest technology in the known universe they build very slowly and need to teleport equipment and arms from Aiur to the rest of their empire. This of course was the Protoss' downfall when the Zerg evnetually found Aiur, because they could attack the place where all the Protoss manufactories were. It gave a wonderful feeling of doom and fighting a loosing siege.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Zerg heavy bombers - the flying crab-Shadow-looking things that mutate from the Zerg fliers.

Slow as all hell, can only engage ground targets but pack a pretty impressive punch and attack any ground defense system from well outside it's AOE.

I don't recall the technical name for the bloody things, a swarm of them could ruin your day unless you were prepared for an air war.

-Trevor

Edit: Guardians

[ March 07, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
They're called Guardians, and they're best used for that purpose (and razing). Nothing's sadder than a group of scouts mowing down your guardians as they try desperately to get back home.

*sniff* Poor little guys.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

*snicker* By the time I had to deal with Guardians, their air support would carve my ships to pieces.

-Trevor

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe..I know kids like those two. I'm more of a "yell counter-strike radio commands at people" kind of guy.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Nothing can stand in the way of my fleet of nine or ten Protoss Carriers! All you need to hold off the Zerg bombers is ground support... as your carriers advance build shield rechargers and tons of photon cannons to cover the carriers.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I've found my Terran ground support tends to be cut down rather quickly long before they can get close enough to present a meaningful threat to the Guardians.

However, if I can keep your carriers at bay, my Siege tanks will seriously impact your efforts to build supporting ground units. But that's a big "if" since Protoss ground units are just plain nasty in close quarters.

-Trevor

AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
Nothing can stand in the way of my fleet of nine or ten Protoss Carriers!
Except for the fact that I'll never let you get those Protoss Carriers. [Big Grin]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Just try and get through my ring defense! [Razz] [Big Grin]
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Guardians will take out ground support. They have incredibly powerful attacks that, when concentrated, can decimate any ground stuff you throw at them. Air, on the other hand, can carve up a Guardian fleet because the Guardian is exclusively a bomber. It can't attack air. Thus, they are easily wiped out by a couple of scourges and mutalisks. Of course, if you are Protoss fighting Zerg...

REAVERS RULE!

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

That's my point - and I have yet to see anyone field a Guardian without a 3 to 1 ratio of mutalisk support units.

Which will serious chew up most air assaults unless you've been prepping for an air war from the beginning.

-Trevor

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

Carriers are great against ground units, but ten of 'em can be taken out by a selection of (much cheaper)Scouts if they're fully upgraded. Catch a Carrier or Battlecruiser flying solo, and they won't get a shot off.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I love my Battlecruisers, but only for their wave motion guns.

Otherwise, they tend to serve little purpose other than floating targets.

-Trevor

Edit: To make more sense.

[ March 07, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

JamGodJeff
Member # 7457

- posted      Profile for JamGodJeff   Email JamGodJeff         Edit/Delete Post 
pfft... StarCraft ain't got nothin' on WarCraft III.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamGodJeff
Member # 7457

- posted      Profile for JamGodJeff   Email JamGodJeff         Edit/Delete Post 
though, I DO miss nukes
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
You see, I always used hydralisk support for my Guardians. I would keep about twelve to eighteen hydralisks (which are much cheaper than Mutalisks) right BEHIND my wonderful twelve Guardians. Then, if the enemy sent a ground force after me, my Hydras wouldn't even have to get involved. If they sent air, I would fly my guardians back over my hydras and watch the enemy fall out of the sky. That was much cheaper than the Mutalisk support. Naturally, I wouldn't bring the Hydras into the enemy base until all defensive structures were dealt with.

I was also quite a fan of large groups of zerglings. In Brood War, a single fully upgraded zergling could single handedly kill a single marine. Multiply it by about 36, and you have an excellent wave of destruction.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
We should play Starcraft sometime.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

We used to get games going on BattleNet, but I think I was the only one who wanted to play 2V6 Comps, or a similar unequal forces game. 150 Marines versus 80 Dragoons isn't my idea of fun.
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

quote:
You see, I always used hydralisk support for my Guardians. I would keep about twelve to eighteen hydralisks (which are much cheaper than Mutalisks) right BEHIND my wonderful twelve Guardians. Then, if the enemy sent a ground force after me, my Hydras wouldn't even have to get involved. If they sent air, I would fly my guardians back over my hydras and watch the enemy fall out of the sky. That was much cheaper than the Mutalisk support. Naturally, I wouldn't bring the Hydras into the enemy base until all defensive structures were dealt with.

I'd use a similar strategy except that instead of guardians I used ultralisks. There ain't no ground unit in the entire game that can touch a fully upgraded ultralisk [Big Grin]

quote:

I was also quite a fan of large groups of zerglings. In Brood War, a single fully upgraded zergling could single handedly kill a single marine. Multiply it by about 36, and you have an excellent wave of destruction.

Actually, if I recall correctly, even if it wasn't upgraded, a single zergling could kill a single marine. I used to have a lot of fun playing around with the map editor setting up experiments like that.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Heh, I remember reading pages dedicated to that kind of talk - analysis of firing rate/attacks per second and damage per attack for various units, broken down by upgrades. You guys are taking me back to my youth. [Wink]

[ March 07, 2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
A misspent one, obviously [Wink]
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

No...it would be misspent if I was the one who came up with those numbers. [Wink]
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

quote:
Heh, I remember reading pages dedicated to that kind of talk - analysis of firing rate/attacks per second and damager per attach for various units, broken down by upgrades.
Yeah, that's me. *hangs head in shame*

[Big Grin]

It's been too long since I played this game. And Warcraft 3 doesn't even come close to the awesomeness that is Starcraft.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.