FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So what is it with these Bush nominations...? (Now fortified with more irony!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So what is it with these Bush nominations...? (Now fortified with more irony!)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
After putting up a torture advocate as his new attorney general, he's trying to set up a man who keeps a hand grenade on his desk, who's known for not being particularly diplomatic, and who has said publicly that the United Nations is a useless, figurehead body, as our representative to the U.N.

http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,11965-4176076,00.html

I keep waiting for him to set up Kevorkian as the head of the NIH.

[ March 18, 2005, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The (UN) Secretariat building in New York has 38 stories. If it lost 10 stories, it wouldn't make a bit of difference," Bolton said in a 1994 panel discussion sponsored by the World Federalist Association.

Senator Barbara Boxer, a California Democrat and member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, cited this quote at the 2001 confirmation hearing for Bolton for his current post as evidence that he was outside the US mainstream.

I don't like Bush's choice here-- but I have to grin at Boxer's assertion that Bolton's attitude is outside the US mainstream.

Quite the contrary-- Bolton's antipathy toward the UN is exactly mainstream.

As for the hand grenade-- big deal. It's a model, anyway, and probably a paperweight. I'm more concerned about his attitude of dismissiveness. I wonder if this move signals a penchant for more warmaking.

[ March 08, 2005, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevorkian isn't pro-life
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...who keeps a hand grenade on his desk.
It's a military tradition to put some sort of arm on your desk. As I look around my office I see ammunition from an A-10, a WWII grenade, a set of swords, countless fragments of the Iraqi war machine, a smoke grenade, a flash-bang etc. I could go on and on with what is in my office but I think your point about him having a grenade on his desk is moot. It proves nothing about his character.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

:prods topic:

Of course, it is really worrisome that Bush assigned him to the UN.

Like assigning David Duke to be ambassador to South Africa. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Yes, since the UN is so pro US we should send someone who is pro UN from the US.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I could go on and on with what is in my office but I think your point about him having a grenade on his desk is moot. It proves nothing about his character."

On the contrary. I think it proves quite a bit about his character. That it's not an uncommon character trait just means that he's a mediocre person.

----

Jay, you appear to have missed the point of my Kevorkian comment. [Smile] And, yes, we should send someone who has respect for the UN as an institution to represent us at the UN, and at the very least should not send someone who has publicly disdained it. Need I explain why?

[ March 08, 2005, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
He said, basically, that 25% or so of the U.N. was waste. That is certainly something that the U.S. has the right to comment on, and certainly something the U.S. might feel is important enough to want our ambassador to deal with.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the contrary. I think it proves quite a bit about his character. That it's not an uncommon character trait just means that he's a mediocre person.
So, Tom, why don't you enlighten us on exactly how the possession of a dud hand grenade increases ones mediocrity?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I don't believe that was the point of your original post Tom. I took that as you pointing out an aggresive character trait.

Or maybe, I'm really out there. [Angst]

[ March 08, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Yes, we should send someone who believes that the UN is an inherently valuable ally.

Not a UN apologist, mind you.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"So, Tom, why don't you enlighten us on exactly how the possession of a dud hand grenade increases ones mediocrity?"

It's not even a sentimental souvenir of his time in the service. Displaying this on his desk, he seeks to advertise his military service while fetishizing a rather indiscriminate method of death. Which is of course a lovely trait in a diplomat.

It's one thing to speak softly and carry a big stick. It's another thing to take a foam replica of a big stick and hang it over your fireplace.

[ March 08, 2005, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Scott R
Member # 567

Oh, come on, Tom. If you're going to hang on this particular bit of fluff as a reason to dislike the guy politically. . . well, that's just dumb.

I'm sure much more is revealed by his public statements than by the fact that he's got a novelty paperweight.

Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
*in my best monty python voice*

"It's only a model..."

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"If you're going to hang on this particular bit of fluff as a reason to dislike the guy politically..."

Hey, I'm not saying it's a major reason behind my dislike of the guy. I'm saying that it's indicative, as scottneb has mentioned, of a character trait that I don't particularly like in my diplomats.

It wouldn't technically matter if Alberto Gonzalez displayed a photo of an electric chair on his wall, or hung a collector's edition noose -- perhaps the one used on a famous bandit -- from a hook in his office, but it would again suggest a character trait that I wouldn't find appealing in an Attorney General. (Note: I am not suggesting that Alberto Gonzalez would do this; I'm just using his name and position to make an analogy.)

[ March 08, 2005, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Scott R
Member # 567

The problem with Bolton is that he doesn't seem to understand diplomacy.

Calling North Korea a hellhole, dominated by an oppressive lunatic may be true-- but you don't say so in public, whilst in the middle of talks with North Korea.

Honesty is a good thing, heaven knows more of our politicians need it. But diplomacy means being honest-- nicely.

Scott R
Member # 567

On that note, how important is this post, anyway?
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to give Tom credit here - it's not exactly a novelty that would be a wise choice for a diplomat, given the international attitudes regarding the American penchant for "warmongering."

It's like wearing leather shoes to a PETA meeting.

And while I don't suggest we send someone pro-UN/anti-US as a diplomat to the UN, I do think we could find someone who hasn't been publicly noted as having critical and somewhat harsh opinions regarding the organization he's about to start attending as our representative.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have pens scattered all over my desk.

And pens are mightier than a sword (or hand grenade) any day.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
*throws a hand grenade into the thread and runs away screaming "Mightier than the sword??? <insert maniacal laugher>*
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Both from Tom:

quote:
quote:
Displaying this on his desk, he seeks to advertise his military service while fetishizing a rather indiscriminate method of death.
So, to Tom, it's not uncommon to have people running around fetishizing about indiscriminate methods of death. I don't want to live in your world Tom. [Razz]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"So, to Tom, it's not uncommon to have people running around fetishizing about indiscriminate methods of death. I don't want to live in your world Tom."

I wouldn't, either. It's one of the reasons I keep advocating completely disbanding the U.S. military.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*throws a hand grenade into the thread and runs away screaming "Mightier than the sword??? <insert maniacal laugher>*
*writes scathing reviews of Boris from Limbo*

*looks smug*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

But, that would put me out of a job!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yeah, I guess it would. I could tear up at this point, but I suppose the alternative would be to make some speech about buggy whip manufacturers. [Smile]
scottneb
Member # 676

Na, go ahead and promote the end of the Military. I'm out in...<looks at watch> two months.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Oh, God! Oh, no! You can't say that aloud, scottneb! Haven't you ever watched any movie, anywhere?

Take it back! Take it back! Say you're going to re-enlist or something!

Nothing will kill you faster than being a few weeks away from the end of your tour.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you're a L.A. cop who's due to retire in two weeks.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I'm not completely separating, I'm going into the Gaurd. So I'm safe.

...I think. [Angst]

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that whole "disbanding the US Military" thing ... was that a joke? Do you mean it? If the latter, can you explain that position? I'm not sure I'm getting it, whether it was a joke or not ...
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

You're joking, right Scott?

The Guard is getting shafted harder than standard grunts.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Tom, I didn’t miss the point of your Kevorkian comment in the least. Just wanted to point out why Bush wouldn’t associate with him.
And yes, I would like you to explain why we should let someone who would continue the UN’s path of uselessness be our representative there.

Oh, and Tom, I too have a dummy hand grenade. It’s just cool. Doesn’t mean anything in the least. A piece of trivial decoration that can be a conversation starter.

Completely disbanding the U.S. military?!?!?! That’s madness. What kind of freedom and for how long do you think it would last?

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I'm also pretty interested to hear your thoughts about the total disbandonment of the US military.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Hitler and the Nazis!

Just proving a law slightly earlier on then it was going to be.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Oh, and Tom, I too have a dummy hand grenade. It’s just cool."

I rest my case.

"Tom, that whole 'disbanding the US Military' thing ... was that a joke? Do you mean it?"

Yeah, I mean it. I also recognize that it's impractical. However, I think America is in no serious danger of foreign invasion, has no real need to project military power anywhere, and incurs substantial negatives as a consequence of military service -- not the least of which is the continuation of military subculture -- that are highly regrettable costs.

I'd love to do away with the military, and quite specifically the concept of an American military; I would, for example, turn a stripped-down force over in a heartbeat to an organization like Card's "FPE," or even our United Nations. That my tax dollars go to prop up the U.S. Armed Forces is only a smidgen less odious to me than the thought that they might prop up abortion clinics. But you are of course free to disagree with me. [Smile]

[ March 08, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

scottneb
Member # 676

quote:
The Guard is getting shafted harder than standard grunts.
This just isn't the case whatsoever. I'm sure if you look at the number of Active Duty Personnel deployed in support of current operations you'd see that they greatly outnumber the number of Gaurd/Reserve/Ready Reserve Forces. [EDIT: Due to my comments in another thread, I need to prove this, huh?] The only difference is that the Gaurd and Reserve pull people straight from the community and so, gets more media coverage. It's an inherent part of the Active Duty job description to deploy.

Even if what you say was true, it wouldn't matter. I'd still do it (Separation Pay, Hostile Fire Pay, Tax Exempt Status, free travel, free food, free lodging, etc.).

[ March 08, 2005, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Jay
Member # 5786

quote:
I rest my case.

I didn't think you had one so how can you rest it?
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nothing will kill you faster than being a few weeks away from the end of your tour.
You forget "A walk in the clouds". You might get dumped by your illiterate actress wife and nail a rich wine country heiress. After burning down their vineyard, of course.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

However, there have been several cases where Guardsmen complained about receiving inferior equipment and substandard medical care.

While I cannot personally attest to these cases, I have a general apprehension regarding military units under the command of non-military leaders being deployed in active military zones.

But I'm sure I'm only getting half the story, so take my reservations with a grain of salt...and a slice of lime.

-Trevor

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, I think America is in no serious danger of foreign invasion,
Well, no we aren't....but without a military how long would that last?

You're arguing for the disbanding of the military and using for your argument one of the effects of having a strong military.

quote:
has no real need to project military power anywhere,
I'd like to see some elaboration on this - what exactly in your view would constitute a need to project military power, other than self defense?

quote:
and incurs substantial negatives as a consequence of military service -- not the least of which is the continuation of military subculture -- that are highly regrettable costs.

I'm a product of that culture, my father is still serving and my grandfather served in WWII, and I find that more than a bit offensive that you describe it as regrettable. There is a long history of great men who fought for this country and owed a great deal of their character to their military service.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'm curious to know what subculture Tom is referring to - some elaboration would be nice.

-Trevor

scottneb
Member # 676

There is a huge military subculture.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I really don't think it would be. This is one of those "agree to disagree" areas that, IMO, it's better not to poke into too deeply, because it's almost impossible to do so without insulting other posters.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Is he referring to the family traditions like Belle mentions or is he talking about the fanboy wannabes that spend their time bragging about being Navy SEALs when the closest they came was visiting a zoo.

-Trevor

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so take my reservations with a grain of salt...and a slice of lime.

Gah, now I'm craving Lime Tostitos, I HATE YOU!!!
[Razz]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Feh - you think the various terrorist factions wouldn't leap at a chance to utterly destroy the US?

Sure, it would dramatically re-shape the world economy as we know it, but for fanatics that would be a small price to pay.

I wouldn't object to a more narrowly defined application of our military, but that's a different rant altogether.

-Trevor

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I don't think a conventional military will do much if anything to legitimately affect the success of terrorist factions capable of destroying our country.
TMedina
Member # 6649

You deleted the post I replied to - I'd be happy to delete my response.

-Trevor

TomDavidson
Member # 124

*nod* I realized it might start a whole conversation on the nature of pacifism. [Smile] And since we've had one of those recently, I didn't want to get back into it. No need to delete your post, though; it actually makes a fair bit of sense where it is.

[ March 08, 2005, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really gonna have to laugh if the "model grenade" that the article refers to is one of those novelty things I've seen around...the ones with the grenade mounted on a piece of wood under a sign that says "Complaint Department--Please take a number" with a little tag that says "#1" attached to the pin of the grenade.

It would be just like the media not to mention that.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.