FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 19)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am officially finished university (I hope). What a weird feeling. And tomorrow will be my first guilt-free-from-school day in a year and a half! Let the fun begin!!!!

[The Wave]

Edit: Whoa! And I think this is like the 6th page in this thread where I've had the top post. Also weird. (Though I guess there *is* only about 8 of us posting in it...)

[ April 21, 2005, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun you guys!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] [Embarrassed] [Sleep] [Wall Bash]

grrrrr. I just went on a bike ride that was supposed to last an hour. I end up going down to lakeshore (which we were supposed to do), and trying to go back up the Humber River. Somehow, we end up circling grenadier pond, and get all muddy, and just get home. And it's DARK! It was 3 HOURS!!!

But it was my fault... [Embarrassed]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

Edit: I was sick at 5:30am when I wrote this, but now I'm better so I'm still coming. (Don't worry, it's not contagious!) My, but the last 12 hours were more confusing than they should have been!

See you soon.

[ April 22, 2005, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
we have arrived. we are in roon 256
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Smile] they're still out on the town... but Sachi and I are home. We had a great time at the ROM, looking at 1125 million-year old eggs that look like beans. And confusasours. And ElJay in leather pants. (KIDDING!) I had a really great time meeting you guys, and I wish I was here tomorrow and the next day to see you again!

Dinner at the Brownstone was absolutly divine. Yum Yum. Polly had "pizza," Victoria had kebobs, twinky had a greek salad, EL had pasta, Brenton had pizza, and Sachi and I had salad.

[Smile] [Frown] <-- me sad I had to leave, but happy to have met you all.

Pictures are uploading at the moment.

And twinky, you are now officially my idol for being so good-natured through all the jokes that I aimed at you. And plus, you have a cool shirt. I liked Liza's as well.

Being real feels funny. I think I like it.

EDIT: I now have some alts... anyone want to guess? There is the obvious, but there are some others that will come out in due time.

Pics

[ April 22, 2005, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

Well, I'm home now too. Thanks for a fun day, everyone! It was great to meet you all and I'm glad I made it. Hope the rest of the weekend is even more fun. I expect to hear stories!

Oh, and Des, I happened to meet up with and sit next to a philologist-in-training friend of mine on the bus home, and we figured that the Bambi might be related to the Italian bambino (child), so the whole name could mean "child-snatcher" and not be Disney-fied at all.

And yes, I have to agree that twinky *was* pretty good-natured, what with the whole pizza thing and all too... [Razz]

Thanks for getting me back on the bus as well. Now, I'm off to sleep while you're all dancing your hearts out (ie. showing off your new skills, Teshi) or playing cards at the hotel, or whatever you're doing.

Happy rest of the weekend!

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*

*shifty eyes*

I didn't dance, but had a great time [Big Grin] .

...Twinky and ElJay did though [Big Grin] .

Tick, Arthur et al, we're meeting at the Science Centre at Noon tomorrow, although I'm sure Twinky and ElJay will get in contact with you. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

psh... no matter what they say, *I* still say it was named after bambi.

EDIT:: That was FUNNY! the whole pizza thing...

[ April 23, 2005, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Polly's Pizza
Member # 7875

- posted      Profile for Polly's Pizza   Email Polly's Pizza         Edit/Delete Post 
I was funny, wasn't I? I mean, twinky was so embarrassed. It made me laugh. still does, actually. Feel that tingly felling in your stomach, Polly? That's me laughing.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

Oh, is that what that feeling was all night!? And here I thought it was just indigestion. [Big Grin]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has now dispersed. Rei and ElJay left from Terminal 2 and I'm here on a lame internet terminal. I'll head over to Terminal 1 in a bit but I have all kinds of time so it's no big deal.

Aweseome weekend. [Cool]

Des, great pics!

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo, what a great weekend. I am home, and exhausted!

Safe travelling, everyone!

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

EDIT: Actually, nevermind.

[ April 24, 2005, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bambiraptor
Member # 7874

- posted      Profile for Bambiraptor   Email Bambiraptor         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] it's all over... Anyone who has pics, put them up! I'm so excited to see all them.

And if anyone wants to do a little research, and figure out conclusivly if there is a different fork for cesear (I can't spell that!) salad, regular salad, and dinner, I am still curious.

EL, glad you're home okay How was Satuday, and Sunday, everyone? I was at my cottage yesterday and today (and it poured rain. I'm afriad Sachi now hinks that it always rains in Canada)

Posts: 36 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm working on pictures/commentary, which should be up... well, when it's done.

I expect the others are still either in the air or driving [Smile] .

Bambiraptor
Member # 7874

- posted      Profile for Bambiraptor   Email Bambiraptor         Edit/Delete Post 
well, HURRY! [Grumble] I got MINE up quickly.

[ROFL] I'm still giggling about that whole night. You jatraquero/a's are funny. [Kiss]

EDIT: oh, and Teshi, do you have AIM/MSN/Yahoo?

[ April 24, 2005, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Bambiraptor ]

Posts: 36 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I am TeshiEvans on AIM, but I cannot talk right now, or you'll never get the pictures!

[Wink] [Big Grin]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
We are home. [Smile] Thomas and Mommy slept most of the way and are zonked out now also. Lots of fun had, pictures and more details tomorrow (later tonight maybe for the pictures, we've got a few fun ones).
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm home!

A huge mega-thanks again to EL for getting me to the airport... it turned out my flight was cancelled, but they got me on the 5:30 one instead that they were holding back because of the 7:30 cancellation. They stopped switching tickets for it while I was still standing at the counter getting my boarding pass printed, so that was incredible timing. Otherwise I would have been at the airport for another 4 or 5 hours. [Smile]

I'll post more later... just wanted to let y'all know I made it. And had SUCH a wonderful time! So glad to meet all of you! You're fabulous!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I just got home. I'll change the thread title in a minute, but I think a more substantive (and coherent) post will have to wait until tomorrow.

[Sleep]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Oh, and

quote:
Bambiraptor
[ROFL]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

So awesome.

Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm glad people are getting home safely, despite hiccups [Smile] .

I swear I'm working on the pictures!

*battles with html*

TheTick
Member # 2883

I'll have mine up in a few minutes. If anyone needs hosting, I've got an album set up for pictures.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Can't wait to see more pictures! [Smile] Des, your's are fun!

[ April 25, 2005, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

A few minutes! Gosh, I guess I'll just have to stay up then. [Big Grin]
Astaril
Member # 7440

Well, what convenient timing to get home and check Hatrack. Hi everybody! How was the rest of the weekend?
TheTick
Member # 2883

Pictures!

Others can fill in some of the other events, but it's a start. [Smile]

twinky
Member # 693

This one is just too cool for words. [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

I must be really tired because I posted this in the wrong thread!

Anyway: Pictures. It's crude, but it works, except for the "next picture" option, and the video links. Eh.

Any complaints about spelling and grammar, muddled details, missed details, unintentional insults, terrible photography (it was terrible, no idea why!) and other such things will be dealt with in the morning.

Sorry about any html glitches etc. it's NOT my strong point!

TheTick
Member # 2883

I'm glad you got pictures of the stuff we missed. [Smile] I'm heading to bed, as soon as I put more clothes in to wash. [Smile]
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
yay for pictures! I'll try to get mine up early this week when I get my head in one place for the most part. But thanks to everyone, it was a spectacular weekend! [Smile]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notheory/sets/266613/

You made this thread hard enough to find Twink [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Yeah, you'd think I like being difficult or something. [Razz] Great pics, everyone! [Smile]

[ April 25, 2005, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Great pics, everyone! Teshi, I love your commentary, too! Worth the wait. [Wink]

twinky
Member # 693

Pod, I thought you took way more pics than that. Are the others redundant? Did they not turn out well? I don't imagine it's a hosting issue because you were saying that you've got massive amounts of bandwidth and storage, but on the off chance it is I have plenty of space at the moment and I never go near my site's bandwidth limits.

Miriya, I'm sorry we missed you. [Frown] There just wasn't much time between when I realized you lived in Toronto (on the map thread) and when I left for the gathering (and thus went incommunicado). Next time we will give you more notice. [Smile]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Nice pictures, everyone! Teshi, your commentary is great. I had actually almost forgotten about the bird attack... So I guess I'm the only one who has to wait until they finish their film, and get it developed in the old-fashioned way, eh? I'll try to find someone with a scanner afterwards so I can post them. I only took a few anyway.

Glad the rest of the weekend was fun! True to my word, I thought about you all several times while sitting in the lab Saturday and Sunday and wondering what antics you were up to just then. Next time I'll come for the whole thing if I'm still around!

Teshi
Member # 5024

[Smile]

Yay! Pictures!

My favourite of yours, Pod, is the stairwell one [Big Grin] .

Bambiraptor
Member # 7874

[Smile] Glad everyone's home safely. [Smile]

I wish that I got more pictures...

Teshi, I look very odd in the one picture you have of me... Feel free to take any of my photos to add them to your album.

Hopefully this is an annual event! Excited for next year already! Eljay, you may want to book plane tickets now...

And, for the record, I got a few stares, as I randomly started laughing in class thinking about that whole night... I laugh just thinking about you guys. [Smile]

I think I like Hatrackers. Thay're funny.

[ April 25, 2005, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Bambiraptor ]

twinky
Member # 693

[Smile]

For people who weren't there, here is a synposis of what happened on Friday:

ElJay and I set out from the Crowne Plaza to meet Teshi and Astaril downtown. After some confusion over which way was which, we got ourselves onto a bus going the wrong way, which took us to the wrong subway station. From the wrong subway station we were able to make our way to the right subway station. Unfortunately, from the right subway station I boldly led us off in the wrong direction. The net result was that we were 20 minutes late and arrived to find Astaril attempting to teach Teshi how to juggle. We found some food (at the most inept Tim Horton's ever), went through Union station, walked by the CN tower, and came back along the waterfront. We paused at a small stage on the waterfront to teach Teshi basic jive/swing dancing technique. She caught on to ElJay's lessons very quickly. [Smile] Then we made our way to the appointed meeting place, with a quick detour into a Chapters. We saw two people looking like they were looking for people, and as it turned out they were Rei and EL. Very convenient. Then we stood around and chatted while waiting for Desdemona and Sachi to arrive -- this was when Teshi was nearly dive-pooped by an aggressive bird. We were a clump of six by this stage, so Des and Sachi spotted us easily when they emerged from the nearby subway station. After introductions, we set off to have dinner at the restaurant Teshi had kindly scoped out for us in advance (cf. restaurant discussion on page 11). The place was pretty neat -- simple, but fun décor.

One would think that procuring and consuming food, when one is seated in a restaurant, ought to be a relatively simple task. However, two factors conspired against me (everyone else had no problems): first, certain appetizers were half price if you also ordered a drink from the bar. The second factor was Astaril's veganness. She expressed an interest in having cheeseless, meatless pizza (that is to say, crust and tomato sauce), and in order to save her from paying full price, it was suggested that since I was already sipping my pint of tasty beer I could order this strange un-pizza on her behalf. I obliged, with the end result that 1) the waitress thought I was a very special boy, 2) the Greek salad that I ordered for myself did not appear, 3) everyone else thought this was uproariously funny, and 4) Astaril got her un-pizza, which she claims was quite tasty.

Thankfully, once the waitress realized her mistake, my salad arrived promptly. Rei was nice enough to offer me a slice of his very real, cheese-and-meat-laden pizza since he was unable to consume the entire dish. That was awfully nice of him and the pizza was very good. [Smile] After dinner we made our way back to the Royal Ontario Museum to take in the flying dinosaur exhibit as planned. The exhibit was neat but sadly brief. Since general admission is free on Friday nights, though, we went upstairs to look at the normal Middle Eastern and ancient Egyptian exhibits. Des and Sachi had to leave shortly thereafter, so we said our goodbyes and the remaining six (Rei, EL, ElJay, Teshi, Astaril, me) escorted Astaril back to the bus terminal so she could catch the bus back to Kitchener-Waterloo. Further goodbyes ensued. Then, after some brief discussion, we headed for the Reservoir Lounge, a small venue I heard about on another forum. Sadly there was a cover, but everything else about the place was (IMO, at least) wonderful. We scored a great booth, too, as pictured in Teshi's photography. Shortly after we arrived, a live band got started up. The singer had a great gravelly growly voice and milked it for all it was worth. They didn't play anything really danceable, at least not initially, so we sat about talking and laughing and having tasty drinks while enjoying the band. After their break, they came back on stage and started into a few more danceable songs. ElJay challenged me to a dance and I assented. My memory of the jive figures I once knew has faded, but it was still a lot of fun. Apparently once we started with the spinning everyone else got off the dance floor (which was admittedly a little small to be doing those sorts of figures, but we didn't really care). ElJay is a good dancer, as Teshi had established in the afternoon. [Smile]

By this point it was getting a bit late. Rei and EL needed to get to Union station to catch the GO train back to Burlington, so we left as a group. Then Teshi, ElJay and I went into the subway area of the station and caught trains going in opposite directions.

Somewhere in there we arranged to meet at the Science Centre at noon the next morning. I don't quite remember where… oh, right. The initial plan was to meet there at eleven, but by the time we got to Union station it was clear nobody would be interested in getting up that early, so we revised the plan.

And that was Friday. [Smile]

Bambiraptor
Member # 7874

I'm so sorry that we were late... [Blushing]
twinky
Member # 693

You were late? No, EL and Rei were early. We'd said between 5 and 5:30 PM, right? You and Sachi arrived before 5:30. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of this picture.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bambiraptor
Member # 7874

really? I thought it was 5, and tried so hard to get there on time, but the subway only goes so fast...

[Smile] I'm glad we werent late

[ April 25, 2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Bambiraptor ]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good summary, Raja, but you forgot to include the weeping, gnashing of teeth, and general flesh-rending that occured once it became clear that I was not giong to be there. Don't ruin this for me.

Sorry I didn't show, sounds like there was a good time had by all.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
I'm a big fan of this picture.
I know! It's such a shame that I didn't pause for a bit to get a proper picture, but then ElJay wasn't exactly happy about having it taken [Razz] [Wink] so there wasn't very much time.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And that is a very cool shirt twink is wearing in some of the shots (the black T Shirt).

The whole gathering sounds like it was a lot of fun. One of these days I'm going to have to make it to a con.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

It's hard to tell, but the shirt (with the zilla on the front) is actually navy blue. I only mention it to avoid confusion, since later on in the con I did in fact wear a black t-shirt.

BtL, you'll just have to come to the next one. You were certainly asked after.

ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
ElJay challenged me to a dance and I assented.
I wouldn't say I exactly challenged you. When I suggested we wheelchair race on Saturday, now that was a challenge.

BtL, I was indeed quite distraught that you did not show. [Frown] Hopefully next time. [Smile]

Noemon: [Razz] <- Please note tongue is no longer blue.

[ April 25, 2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! It looks like you had a fantabulous time.

Also; I find it slightly disturbing that Teshi looks exactly as I'd pictured her.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.