FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like it's a day-trip for me or none at all. So I can come Friday for the ROM and just get the Greyhound back here that evening.

But I would *so* have been in for swing-dancing! (Matter of fact, I'll be doing just that in KW tonight.) [Big Grin]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Astaril! I just hope it's not none-at-all, I want to meet you!

How about we find a place that we can go swing dancing just one night, Friday or Saturday? I also don't want to miss Con activities to do the full lessons/dance thing if not everybody wants to do it. Plus that's lower commitment for those who are a wee bit nervous about the whole dancing thing.

As far as touristy stuff, I am primarily coming to see Hatrackers. I think one big to-do for each day is enough, or things start to get over-scheduled and stressy. Downtime at the hotel playing games and laughing is one of the best parts of Hatrack gatherings. So if we do the ROM Friday and the Science Center Saturday I think that's good. Wandering around the "lil" towns sounds fun, too. Maybe Sunday? How much time are we likely to spend at the Science Center Saturday?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The list of attendees is something like this, I think:

me
Teshi
Astaril
ElJay
TheTick's family
Jaiden
Pod
ReikoDemosthenes
Eaquae Legit
Desdemona, possibly with friend(s)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Edited 'cause I knew the answer to this, I just forgot.]

[ April 04, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with ElJay's suggestion of the one-thing-a-day [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I actually really enjoy just roaming around Toronto. Of course, I can do that whenever.

So ROM, Science Centre, and the rest we'll just do by the proverbial seat of our pants. Sounds good to me. Next step is to pick a hotel, I guess, but it seems like hardly anyone needs one. *goes back to look at Jaids' list*

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

And I'm all in favour of roaming, too. I do a lot of that. [Blushing] [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Okay, I think the Crowne Plaza wins based on Arthur's boss' review and its proximity to the Science Centre, but first I have to check how close it is to the nearest subway station.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably will only be able to come Saturday or Sunday, with my Japanese exchange student. She has never been to Canada before, and is really excited. She really wants to have lunch up the CN tower, so could that be a possible activity? If it's a group and we reserve tickets in advance, it should be easier to get in.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

If people want to scale the tower, I'd tag along. I haven't been up there since I was very young.

I guess the reason I haven't been to the Science Centre since that band trip oh so many years ago is that it isn't near the subway. Those of us without cars (everyone but Tick's family, I guess) should maybe consider staying somewhere a little closer to a subway stop. Though there's always the bus, too, I suppose.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the 100 and the 34 go by the hotel (they go by the OSC on Eglinton) so you could take either of those to the Eglinton subway line. The 100 might not go out far enough, don't know for sure.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

That's true, but if we're going to be roaming in Toronto a lot then I think it would make more sense to be staying close to the subway line; that way we'd only have to take the bus to and from the centre and the rest of the time we could stick to the subway. I'll investigate hotel options near subway stops a little more closely...
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can be in Toronto about 9PM on Friday-If we pick the Tick at work and don't run into much traffic - so don't count on us for anything on Fri.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Okay. You guys want to take Ticklet to the Science Centre, right? We'll make sure to do that on Saturday. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

What's this tower thing everyone keeps talking about?
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
CN Tower
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun thing to do in the CN Tower:

Up at the top there're some thick glass tiles you look down through, and even stand on (and, say, jump up and down on).

Lay down on your back on the tiles, then roll over like you're rolling out of bed onto the floor, looking over your shoulder as you come around. It's freaky and fun, all at the same time.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
The restaurant on the top is decent... it slowly rotates. But it's a bit expensive (you do get to wander around the top for free though)

[ April 04, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Lay down on your back on the tiles, then roll over like you're rolling out of bed onto the floor, looking over your shoulder as you come around. It's freaky and fun, all at the same time.
Awesome. [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

More scary, however, is lying outside on the grate. I have definately done that. I must be mad. I'm not sure if you're allowed anymore, but no one stopped me then.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey, neat! So do we actually get to climb the steps, or are they just open for the charity events?

Added: Lying on the grate sounds like fun, too!

[ April 04, 2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

twinky
Member # 693

It sounds like the stairs are closed most of the time. [Frown]

quote:
More scary, however, is lying outside on the grate. I have definately done that. I must be mad. I'm not sure if you're allowed anymore, but no one stopped me then.
Even awesomer.

Edit: This is so the longest thread I've ever started.

[ April 04, 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that tower in some movie with John Candy about the Canadians attacking America (a comedy spoof)?????

[ April 04, 2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Canadian Bacon, and I don't remember if it is in the movie or not. Been a while.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yes it is in the movie "Canadian Bacon", at the end. They run up the stairs.

EDIT: Beaten by The Tick.

[ April 04, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

I've checked out the site, and you can make reservations for lunch. It may be expensive, but I'm up for it, seeing as I think it really would be cool, and Sachi wants to do it as well. You can make reservations online, here. You can also purchase tickets online, and skip the line-up. I'm not sure if we are big enough to qualify as a group, however. They have a professional photographer on the glass floor, who takes pictures of one or more people lying on it. I have one from 3 years ago, when my friend Carey and I were there, and it looks really cool. The skypod is also really cool (highest observation deck in the world on a manmade structure or something.), and I love the elevator ride.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

If we have to take the elevator, do we at least get to jump as it starts back down?
Teshi
Member # 5024

Hm, although it's an expensive restaurant you do get free admission with the purchase of a main dish and the view and I'm sure it's a lovely place to eat, so I'm okay with it, if the consensus is we want to go [Smile] .

Or I'm happy just to go up, which is what I normally do).

EDIT: And of course we get to jump, ElJay!

[ April 04, 2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Goodie. [Smile]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

For those who wanted to climb the stairs, guess what charity event is happening on the 23rd?
Teshi
Member # 5024

Hey that's a great coincidence! How would that work with the dinner?
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Well, the climb ends at 11:00 am, so we could hang out on the top for a little while, and reserve lunch for maybe 12:00?
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmm. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to climb it with huge crowds of people there for an event. Not very laid back. And we'd be a lot less likely to be able to get into the restaurant. Perhaps we should do it Sunday instead?

[ April 04, 2005, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

twinky
Member # 693

That is in keeping with the one-event-per-day scheduling. Sounds good to me.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
All sounding very good to me. Friday's even a PA Day in the region, so I get all Friday off! Woo! I'm a bit nervous about the dancing - I suck. I probably wouldn't go unless everyone else did.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Practically everyone sucks at dancing. The trick is to not care that you suck. Then it's lots of fun. [Smile]

Arthur mentioned the zoo a couple of pages ago. If people are interested in the zoo then I guess we'd need to decide between the CN tower and the zoo or something.

We also need to finalize a hotel selection, because the closer we get to the date the higher the rates will be.

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still up for dancing, even though I'm in the boat that most of us seem to be in...and if it comes down to the CN Tower versus the zoo, I'll take the zoo
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Well, we can always just go out dancing somewhere after the ROM on Friday night. Or Saturday. I'm sure there are plenty of places to dance in Toronto. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey, couple of questions for y'all!

How's the weather likely to be?

Have we figured out a hotel? Who all will be staying in said hotel? I know the Tick family and twink & I will be, Teshi and Astaril probably not... what about the rest of ya? That'll help in making a decision.

And, on a scale of milk to dark, what are each of your chocolate preferences?

twinky
Member # 693

I'd expect there to be at least one rainy day. If it's sunny, though, it should be a nice temperature (in the 20s, or for you, high 60s/low 70s).

There is as yet no hotel consensus but I think we need to come to one pretty quickly. The most important factor is the hotel's kid-friendliness, for the sake of Ticklet. I'm happy to stay at the Crowne Plaza (I have a soft spot for nice swimming pools), which is why I haven't exactly been busting my butt hotel-hunting.

I love all kinds of chocolate, but my favourite is fairly dark (70% cacao). But not too bitter.

ElJay
Member # 6358

So what's the drawback to the Crowne? Just distance to the subway line?

And thanks for translating the temp for me. [Razz]

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be crashing at EL's, so I won't be staying at a hotel. Regarding chocolate, I have no preference in colour.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

*looks at list*

That leaves Jaiden and Pod, then.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I don't think we'd have any qualms with looking at other hotels, we just don't know anything about the others. [Smile] My main concern is having a rec area or pool or something like that where we can go with Thomas if he gets restless at the hotel.
Arthur
Member # 4026

It doesn't look like 360 is very toddler friendly. We could split up on Sunday and do both the zoo and the CN tower.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

How long are you guys going to be able to stick around Sunday?

If it's between the zoo and the tower, I'd lean towards the zoo, I think.

Arthur
Member # 4026

It should take us approx 2 - 2 1/2 hours to get home so as long as we left by 9 PM that would be ok
twinky
Member # 693

Unless Jaiden and Pod have huge objections to the Crowne, then, we may as well stay there since we know it's nice, kid-friendly, and pool-enabled.

As to the zoo/tower thing... I've never been to the zoo, but I'm game for either or even neither. Whatever everyone else decides on that score is fine with me. [Smile]

So when, how, and where should the whole group (except Clan Tick) meet on Friday? Maybe somewhere like Queen's Park, which is just south of the ROM and therefore close to the subway...

ElJay
Member # 6358

pssssst. Change the thread title, to indicate we're planning and everyone should stop in. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

Good point.
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.