FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reading memories

Author Topic: Reading memories
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a thread for posting memorable moments from reading OSC's books. Since I have two of them, I figured I can't be the only person to have any.

This is my first story:
I finished Ender's Game and was on to Speaker for the Dead, only the second OSC book I read. I brought Speaker with me to an over-night retreat at a church. I was getting ready to go to sleep (in the church's library) and I decided to read a little bit first. One girl came in and casually asked what I was reading. I told her, and I think I tried to describe it a little to her. As soon as she left, this guy came bounding in the room and yelled, "I MET HIM!" He was clearly very excited, which caught me off-guard. He also said I just had to read the Alvin Maker series. He was right. [Smile]

My second story:
Art classes at this college are three hours long, twice a week. They are long classes, so the teachers give us a short break sometime in the middle. And what do I do? I usually read a book. One day in my photography class, we were on one such break. There were a couple people sitting at the table, and some people milling around, chatting. I sat there reading Ender's Shadow. I got to a part that surprised me so much, I actually gasped out loud. Then I remembered where I was and looked up. The girl next to me said, "Good book?" My answer of, "Yeah," didn't even begin to describe it.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Um.... I used to check out OSC books to hit on geek boys.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
mm, this is a good topic. I've got to think about it, but one I remember right off the top of my head is when I was reading Earthborn. When I got to the end, when we get a peek into what Akma went through after he had been 'struck down,' I had such a personal experience with it. Some of his descriptions of feelings and realizations really hit home and I remember sniffling my way through it. I remember thinking "This must have been the book that OSC really wanted to write...the other four were just for background purposes."

[Big Grin] That was a great experience.

There are more, I'll have to sleep on it and get back to you.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
When I finished reading Ender's Game for the first time, I had actually forgotten about gravity. I walked around funny for the rest of the day, and had to hold on to stuff. [Blushing]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The first OSC book/series I read was the Homecoming Series. I loved it.

A few years later I'm back in the Science Fiction section of my library (ahem, I never actually really entirely left it...), and since I'm not very observent, I don't notice that the book I've just picked up, although it looks interesting, is by the same author as my beloved Homecoming series. This is the first Alvin book. I forget what it's called [Blushing] . I love this one too.

More years pass. Finally, I go for Ender's Game. I still do not notice the author. I love the book. I am totally blown away. I write a review on Amazon that is rediculously glowing...

I return to the library to find Speaker for the Dead and POOF! I discover that three of my favourite serieses belong to the same author.

*sigh*

(Sidenote: Ender's game, when I first read it, read a lot like one of my own stories; A young boy, extremely bright, space, a moral conundrum... I was annoyed. Who was this Card person to steal my idea!? I haven't written that story since, although it is quite different from Ender's Game.)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother gave me Ender's Game when I was about 12. I tore through it and Speaker for the Dead. When it came time for Xenocide, I happened to have a long layover in the Pittsburgh airport while traveling by myself. I managed to find a copy in the airport bookstore, but my pile of change wasn't quite big enough. The clerk made up the difference for me, and I got to spend the next several hours in my own little world reading instead of cowering from weirdos.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
When I travel I often pack a copy of an OSC book with me to reread on the plane. On one particular flight from Pittsburgh to Seattle (a nice 5-6 hour flight), I had brought Ender's Shadow. I was sitting next to a relatively young businessman and he was reading Ender's Game. Naturally he noticed my book, and I let him read the back cover, and we discussed Card for a while, and I convinced him to get Ender's Shadow and Speaker for the Dead after he'd finished Ender's Game. It was the first and only time I've talked to a stranger on a plane. Otherwise I agree with fiazko, strangers are wierd.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I finished reading Ender's Game for the first time, I had actually forgotten about gravity. I walked around funny for the rest of the day, and had to hold on to stuff.
[ROFL]
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I read Ender's Shadow, I finished it just in time to leave for work. I was so touched by the end of the book, that I was still crying when I got to work. My boss was amazed that a BOOK could make me cry. He was more of a TV guy himself. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had to borrow Ender's Shadow from my English teacher and promised to return it at the end of the day. I wound up skipping my last two classes, hid in the library, and finished the book. Turned it in at the last minute.

After that, I thought of the world from a cold, calculating, inhumane point of view.

Kinda like after I read Batman comics.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.