FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Travel Advice Thread: Tips to Make Your Trips Safer and More Enjoyable (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Travel Advice Thread: Tips to Make Your Trips Safer and More Enjoyable
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some shredded duffel bags and softside suitcases come out of baggage claim. I prefer a hardside suitcase. The Polypropylene-sided Samsonite Oyster is supposed to be nearly indestructible and is a good choice for missionaries. I like my Samsonite 700 Series with its inline skate wheels. It makes the long hauls to the car park a lot easier.

Here's something we've had fun with: see how many forms of transportation you can use in a single trip. On a trip to japan we rode a jet, bus, streetcar, ferry, taxi, subway, train, tram, bullet train, motorboat, and bicycle. Have the kids keep a running total of the various forms of transportation used.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

On a trip to New Zealand I wanted a carryon that would double as a backpack. The Columbia Windpass really came in handy. It also has a detachable daypack that can be used for short hikes. If the airline limits you to a single carryon, just zip the daypack and the main pack together.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

We've never been in a travel situation in which there was a chance of being robbed, but the latest issue of National Geographic Adventure magazine suggests distributing your cash in different locations on your person, including keeping some loose cash in a pocket.

I like my waterproof Splash Caddy-Neck Caddy that I purchased from Magellans.com. I don't think that particular item is currently available however. It looks like they have changed it to a waist belt. That's probably a better option for adventure-types anyway, since hanging something around your neck that doesn't break away easily could be dangerous.

My wife likes her security belt.

Another cool thing that I've found is Dockers that have hidden zipper pockets in the seams of the pant legs.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't really a security thing, but Travelsmith carries all sorts of wrinkle-resistant, lightweight clothing specifically designed for travellers.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Did you see that "Men's Quadratic Sweater"? Matches everything in your suitcase. Looks like something Cosby would wear. My wife has gotten some wrinkle-free travel pants from them.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Heh--that does look like a Cosby sweater, doesn't it?

I actually dislike the look of a lot of their clothing, but I appreciate the utility of much of it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

This could be a thread of its own, but what you eat and how you eat can make or break a trip.

Not having kids of our own, we are usually able to avoid the Burger Kings. We like to sample the local fare whenever possible.

Here's a tip for the fella's: while waiting for the ladies to get ready in the morning, go out and forage for breakfast or lunch foods. For breakfast a banana, yogurt, and a bagel or muffin will probably get you by until lunch. For lunch: juice, chips, and a sandwich.

If you are smart you will have scouted out a donut or pastry shop the night before. Sneak out while the blow drier is running, and then reappear with hot apple turnovers when she's applying mascara. She'll be standing in front of the mirror with her mouth gaping open. Break off a piece of turnover and pop it in.

Simple breakfasts and lunches will keep your day moving along. Make the dinners count, with something a little more fancy.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Who the heck puts on mascara while traveling? Much less uses a blow-dryer?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Not me!
skillery
Member # 6209

Oh heck, this lady irons clothes too!

It's a real pain to get going in the morning. I keep myself busy by cleaning and repacking the car, repacking her suitcase, cleaning camera lenses, tending to the battery charging, plotting the day's route on the map or GPS, and doing laundry.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, not me, either. Can't be bothered - it's a waste of time.

Here, you can buy food packets at the side of the road - rice, veggie curries, sambols, and a protein curry (fish, chicken, egg) for 35-120 Rupees ($0.30-1.20 US) - always a good deal, and the portions are far more than I could ever eat, although Fahim has no problem. It's the perfect meal size for him. Sometimes they come in styrofoam type containers, sometimes wrapped in plastic & paper, sometimes in banana leaves. An excellent deal and almost always tastes great!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, I don't normally blow-dry my hair or put on mascara anyway. [Dont Know] I neglected to mention that part. And lord knows the last time I ironed.

quids, those food packets sound wonderful. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
bah, that's not a quadratic sweater! All those straight lines--not a parabola to be found anywhere!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem, I neglected to mention that part, too. I put on makeup for church or other special events, and that's about it. But even at that, if it takes longer than two minutes, I'd rather put my eyes out.

Eljay, they are wonderful. We go to a place down the road, the 7+ (Rs.70, or $0.70US), and get their packets for lunch on Sundays and Mondays, Fahim's days off. They consistently have good quality curries. Usually, one sambol (which sort of means salad, but not quite) and usually three veggie curries, and the hunk of chicken that comes with it is pretty sizeable. I'm very happy with their food.

Of course, when we're out and about on Mondays near Bambalapitiya, we get Chicken Buryani from The Banana Leaf, Fahim's uncle's restaurant, and damn, that's good! Oh me oh my! Costs a bit more (Rs.135, or $1.35 US), but it is sooo worth it.

It helps that I love curries anyway. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

I love curry too!

If you're eating curry at your travel destination, you'll probably need rain gear. A rain jacket and rain pants will give you more mobility than an umbrella. Get the breatheable teflon laminate stuff if you're going to be doing any physical activity in the rain (or sea spray). Marmot makes nice rain gear, but it's a bit expensive. I like my Pacific Trail stuff. If you go with more muted colors you'll feel more comfortable wearing your rain jacket to church and to restaurants.

Layering your rain jacket over a fleece jacket will keep you warm in most travel conditions.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Loved the recommendations, skillery. Thanks. The Windpass looks excellent.

Noemon, have you ever heard of Tilley's? It's a Canadian firm that specializes in travel wear, and I really like a lot of their stuff.

When I travel, I aim for 2 carry-on size bags, including my laptop. I'm finding that the most efficient way for me is to pack lots of layers of natural fibers. Raw silk, linen, wool -- easy to dress up or down, and that which does crinkle (linen) is meant to crinkle. Breathable, too.

[ March 14, 2005, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

CT:
quote:
I aim for 2 carry-on size bags
You'll never lose your luggage that way.

Unfortunately, nowadays some things won't pass the scanner. I like to travel with a multi-tool/pocket-knife, and that has to be checked.

If you have to check a bag, it might be a good idea to keep a fresh change of socks, shirt, and underwear with you in your carry-on. Then if your checked bag gets lost you can at least get through the first day at your destination.

I like to take a multi-tool because either something of mine is going to need fixing, or something in the motel room will be broken, and I'm not always feeling feisty enough to ask for another room. A Leatherman tool is a good one to have on hand. I've recently down-sized to the Micra; I like the scissors.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Yeah, I can't bring knitting needles, either, and that is a bummer. There are definitely some drawbacks. On the other hand, all I do is bounce back and forth in the US or between the US and Canada, so there is usually a store with tools available somewhere. I've occasionally bought cheap needles to knit with (< $2) on arrival and left them behind for departure.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely timing. I'm going to japan from april 15th to 25th, mainly to Kyoto. Been fretting over hotels (finally booked a hotel, tentatively. I have until April 5th to cancel without fees). I opted for the cheap two-star hotel, though I guess I could look at ryokans.

Now I have to start fretting over everything else. Looks like it'll be easy to travel from the airport (the new Nagoya airport) to Kyoto which is a relief. I don't think I'm going to end up getting a Rail Pass, because I only intend to go to Kyoto from the airport, and maybe Osaka for a day. I've given up on the crazy day-excursion to Tokyo idea, I think.

I have a fabric luggage bag that's been useful for many a trip, but I'm not sure if it'll be suitable for this trip. I'd like to carry as light as possible (clothes and my nintendo DS are probably the only items) so I can sightsee in Nagoya the day-of-arrival or day-of-departure with my bag. I also would prefer not to check my luggage.

So... this sounds like a fun thread.

- I'll be in Japan to attend the Human Genome Meeting as well as sightsee. The conference is the middle four days of my trip.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

To some guys, pocket knives are preciousssss. Sure you can buy another knife at your destination, but it's just not the same. You may have seen guys carrying basketballs or skateboards loose on the plane...same thing.

By the way, having a familiar item or two with you on your trip really helps to reduce travel-related stress. Your bag could get really heavy if you get too carried away, so be reasonable.

I think it is a mistake to buy an entire travel wardrobe that you only wear on trips. You should take some old, favorite clothing articles too. I like to take along an old pair of faded jeans.

I've seen people hauling blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals around the airport. That seems too bulky to me, but whatever it takes to get a good night's sleep...

I like to take my scriptures . I use the same compact set both at home and on trips.

My wife likes to take along a familiar food item, specifically: Rice Crispy Treats. She'll vacuum pack a couple of 9x13 slabs of the stuff and throw them in her suitcase. We've had Rice Crispy Treats in Japan, New Zealand, Ireland, and Canada. At least you know you'll never starve.

A few guys here at work take a bottle of Tobasco sauce with them on trips, especially to Japan, where the food starts to get bland after a week.

skillery
Member # 6209

Dabbler:
quote:
nintendo DS...Nagoya
If you're a gadget geek, then you might be interested in the Ameyoko stores in Nagoya's shopping district. There's two of them: Dai Ichi and Dai Ni.

There's another tip. Maybe you have to travel on business to a place that you are dreading or don't like. It helps to ease your pain to do some research ahead of time and find a couple of diversions to which you can look forward. I like to find out if there's a Fry's Electronics in the area before I go (there's none here in Salt Lake). A favorite restaurant at your destination, even if it's just a hot dog joint like Portillo's in Chicago, will make a business trip bearable.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
On travelling tips:

Coin purses
I don't know about Japan, but Europe has the 1 euro coin, which means you will accumulate a pocket of change pretty quickly.

Invest in a little coin purse of some sort as a means of storing your change and still keeping it easily accessible, as opposed to rummaging for coins in your pockets.

Duffels and soft bags
There is a chance they may get shredded, but I have yet to see it happen - which is not to protest Skillery's point about a hardshell, but a soft duffel is easier to carry and can double as a pillow in an emergency.

But on the flip side, it's not well-suited to transporting wrinkle-free attire.

Daybags
I just rolled up an old high school backpack and shoved it in my pack - not as elegant, but it served quite well.

First-aid kids
Unless you want to have the fun of trying to mime "peroxide" to an Italian pharmacist, I recommend either carrying a list of translations for common medical supplies or bring your own.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
ah neato. I'll try to check out that area when I'm in Nagoya. Do you know if it's possible to lock up luggage at a station for a few hours for a reasonable price?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Multi-tools can be useful, but I've never found a need for one.

I do, however, own a Leatherman micra for personal grooming moments and in Europe, I bought a pair of tweezers and the small pen-knife version of the Swiss Army knife for my improvised medkit.

Oh and water bottles - Europe is mad about water bottles. Be prepared to transport one around if you go - either with a portable "water buffalo" type of sling or a day bag that has water bottle carriers.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Yep - most train stations do have day lockers. I checked the bulk of my luggage at a train locker for my day trip around Edinburgh.

Which I realize doesn't help with your specific need for Japan, but there ya go. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

This is more for the "single and roughing it" crowd, but I bought one of the $6 fleece throws from Wal-Mart and kept that in my bag as an emergency blanket.

It can double as a pillow, a blanket and almost anything else you might need. And it's cheap enough to toss if necessary.

-Trevor

skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
fleece throws
My mother in-law made me a fleece blankey that I have taken on a couple of trips. It is fairly compact. At least in Ireland, but I suspect in most places in the EU, they turn off the steam heat to your room during the day when you're supposed to be out and about. In my case I was working a night shift and slept during the day. That blankey really came in handy when the radiator went cold.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Travelling on airplanes with children: Pack your kids' carryons (I usually use smallish backpacks) for them, including a couple of their must-have, can't-live-without toys along with toys they've never seen. With very small children, activity based toys that can be pulled out seperately and one at a time works well for longish airplane rides. Pack an extra set of clothes for the carryon. And if you can't afford the space, you may want to think about packing an extra set for yourself. (My daughter dumped an entire glass of milk on me on one plane. It was an uncomfortable ride the rest of the way.)

And I hate to admit it, but a portable DVD player can be a lifesaver.

Bring plenty of snacks, preferably no sugar or low sugar. Juice or milk boxes are often good choices. I especially like the organic no-refrigeration necessary milk boxes that come in both white and chocolate milk. I've noticed that some airport Starbucks are now carrying them.

While travelling, take advantage of naptime. Try to stay on something of a routine, so that mealtimes and bedtimes are at roughly the same time every day. This is where bedtime routines really come in handy -- if you sing a song, read a book and say prayers at home as part of the routine, plan to do it on the road too. It'll make bedtime a lot easier.

So far, I've noticed that most kids are just as happy to hang out at the hotel and play in the pool. It's okay if you don't see *everything* there is to see at your vacation location.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I hate to admit it, but a portable DVD player can be a lifesaver.

Ketchup princess is not allowed too much tv or DVD watching time, so a portable DVD player and Baby Bach (on the way there) and Baby Beethoven (on the way back) were a treat for her and made the trip to Atlanta and back better for us and for the people around us (and the classical music didn't bother them at all). Since she doesn't fit an infant carrier and her carseat doesn't fit an airplane seat, we also brought Baby B'air (we got ours cheaper on ebay). It worked wonderfully, keeping her safely on my lap when she tried to dive off and even keeping her from falling when we hit unexpected turbulence on the way back. I've heard in France you can't even bring an infant seat past the security check, so it's an invaluable product to have when travelling internationally, as well.

[ March 15, 2005, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

My wife and I like to take along a dice game or card game on trips. Games come in handy if you get socked in by bad weather or have to spend a lot of time in the airport terminal. We like Zilch .
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
How to travel like a college student:
  • Take a trash bag to put over your stuff if it rains.
  • Don't eat the homemade popsicles that poor children sell unless it's really really hot and you can't help it. If you do, and you wanted a weight-loss regimen anyway, there you go!
  • Learn some handy travel phrases, like Spanish for "Get your hands off of me, pervert!"
  • Don't look like an American. If you can't help it (like, you're 2 feet taller and 3 shades lighter than everyone else), claim that you're Canadian. Or Dutch.
  • Local kids are just as handy as professional tour guides and need the money a lot more.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Travel Item:

a cloak. It serves as a blanket, it gives you a unique profile, it makes people less likely to mess with you. It has a hood you can draw over your face if you need to sleep in bright places. You can hide things beneath it. My cloak is a well-worn friend. Why did people ever stop wearing them? So much better than a coat.

Advice:

Bring a water bottle. You will get thirsty. You don't always know when potable water will be nearby.

Have a sense of adventure. Try new things.

Talk to your fellow travellers. You will inevitably hear interesting stories.

Eat everything. You may find a new favorite food. Things I tried - fish 'n chips 'n vinegar, lemon-rice soup, mole chicken, sushi, goat meat, carrot juice, fish tacos, seaweed, cowry shells, rock lobster.

I stick my feet in every fountain/body of water I can. It's refreshing, and you really get in touch with the spirit of a place.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wee ones on airplanes: I heard this from a fellow traveller, and it WORKS. The little cups you get in the airplane bathroom are the coolest toys a toddler has ever seen. Also, walk up and down the aisles until your toes are ready to fall off.

And the single best thing - NURSE your baby on takeoff and landing. It keeps their ears from popping, and then you are not the parent with the screaming child that bothers everyone else.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

About the screaming child on takeoff and landing, I saw a neat trick: the mom would blow in the baby's face. Apparently this causes the baby to swallow, thus balancing the pressure in the ears.
skillery
Member # 6209

Everybody knows by now that the Internet is indispensable for making reservations,
for finding maps, for checking conveyance departure and arrival times,
and for learning about local attractions at your destination. You usually do all these things
before you leave home, but what do you do once you're on the road? How do you stay connected?

Right now I'm sitting in the hotel lobby in Vancouver, WA, connecting via WiFi. They've also
got high speed Internet wired to the rooms, but I forgot my Ethernet patch cable. A lot of
hotels I've been to in the U.S. lately have had some kind of high-speed connection, even if it
was just their community computer in the lobby.

Starbucks.

Dialup is still the only way to connect in most out-of-the-way places. So bring a modem and your
calling card. If you're traveling outside the U.S. try to buy a calling card with an Internet dialup number at your destination.

The young adventure-touring crowd has their own system for staying connected, which usually
consists of pay-as-you-go Internet computers located at backpacker's camps, hostels, bike shops, and outdoor outfitters.

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
CT, I've gotten large-sized knitting needles and plastic knitting needles on planes just fine. Several times.

Skillery, I took poptarts with me to Italy. They came in very handy.

[ March 20, 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ah, cool. I haven't tried recently (not since 2002, just post-9/11). I have had my hair chopsticks taken away recently, but that was at an immigrations facility in Milwaukee. I'll give the needles a shot (*pause for two beats [Smile] ) when I fly to Ottawa this week.

Thanks!

Theca
Member # 1629

CT, I used to use pencils to hold up my hair all the time when I was studying hard in medschool. I had forgotten all about it till someone mentioned your hair chopsticks last week. *looks for a pencil*
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you know about electrical outlet adapters? I'm tentatively planning on bringing a laptop, and I want to buy an adapter before I leave. I still don't know what the outlet voltage is where I'm going, but I'll find out. Will an adapter affect my laptop's performance though? I don't think so; just wanna make sure, if anyone knows.

edit: And how does this apply to other electronics? like the charger for my mp3 player?

[ March 20, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: esl ]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

Y'know, I did all my research looking for adaptors. I asked for help at the store to make sure. We both agreed I had the right one, it really wasn't hard at all to look it up and pick it out. The adaptor I took to Italy STILL didn't work at all. [Grumble] I still don't know what was wrong.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to talking to the other travellers, I recommend talking to the locals.

Some of my favorite memories are of being invited into the homes of strangers. For instance, in Italy, we were invited into someone's home because they wanted to find a map for us. It was lovely and amazing to be told that marble is as common a building material in Italy as wood is here. It was also enlightening to see all the windowbox gardens.

In England, we would stop the day's travel early so that we could explore a particularly cute city, find a bed and breakfast and hang out at a pub that looked like it served a tasty menu. Most evenings we spent talking and laughing with a group of locals.

Using the information desk at your hotel is a great way to find good eats, shopping, points of interest, etc.

We spent a week in Kauai. It's a tiny island so it was easy to visit the same places on consecutive days. Through a recommendation from the hotel clerk, we stopped at a little stand at the side of the road for Huli Huli Chicken It was delicious and much better than what was offered at any of the restaurants on the island. Another great find was an ice-cream stand. We stopped there at the same time everyday, the time when the old men came to play chess/checkers. We got to see pictures of grandkids, hear stories about how the island has changed and drink-up the flavor of what it might be like to live there.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have suggestions for essential items to take to Ireland in May? I'm planning on finding a long rain slicker instead of the raincoat and pants I've been wearing at the barn, but I dunno what else to bring.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

I've been getting my plug adapters from magellans.com

Magellan's used to have any easy lookup table of countries and the plugs they use, but I can't find it.

I guess I just got lucky, but all my AC adaptors for charging my laptop, camera, and music player accept 100 to 240 VAC, 50 or 60 Hz. Otherwise I'd need a step-up transformer for everything. That's something to think of when purchasing electronics; get the equipment with universal AC adapters.

I just remembered something about using a modem in your hotel room: if the hotel phone system is digital instead of analog, it will fry your modem. Ask at the front desk before trying to connect.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Ireland wasn't particularly cold when I was there in late October, so the only real requirements I'd suggest are a raincoat of some sort and a hat to keep the rain out of your eyes. Particularly if you wear glasses.

Other than that, Ireland uses the Euro, so bring a change purse to keep your sanity.

-Trevor

skillery
Member # 6209

Knights Who Say Ni:

I've been to Shannon three times in the last two years, twice in winter and once in summer. It's pretty much like the U.S. except for driving on the left and spending euros.

I like to take cash, which I exchange for euros here in the States. You're pretty safe carrying cash in Ireland. I figure that when my trip is costing me about $20 per hour, who wants to waste precious time hunting for cash machines? On the other hand, some folks make a good case for travelling without cash. We could have a good debate.

When it comes to driving on the left and negotiating roundabouts, the only advice I can offer is to follow a local driver until you get the hang of it (be sure you're not following another visitor).

A couple of other things about travelling in Ireland: your room will come with a bath towel but no washcloth; bring your own. Most cars don't have AC; plan on driving with the windows down when it gets warm.

If you're flying into Shannon, I recommend that you visit Bunratty Castle. They've got a nice gift shop there too.

The town of Ennis has tons of quaint little shops. Try the train ride from Ennis to Limerick.

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the other hand, some folks make a good case for travelling without cash. We could have a good debate.
You have to have at least a bit of cash for small restaurants, taxis and other sundry items, but whenever possible, I would use your credit cards. I buy Euro all the time in $10G - $30G amounts, yet Visa, MC and American Express always get a better exchange rate than I do.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever gotten an Amtrak rail pass and travelled around the US for a month?

I'm doing that soon -- I'll be stopping off for BobNDana Con as part of my trip.

Doing a big train trip is something I've wanted to do for a long time -- looks to be a great way to get around and see folks I haven't seen in years, and I'll get to see some great scenery.

I once got a Greyhound pass for a month, and did a lot of travelling along the East Coast, but that was a pretty miserable experience. With Amtrak I'll get to get up and wander around the train and not be all cramped and stuck in my seat like I usually am on Greyhound...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Travelling via Amtrak was wicked cool, compared to the plane. I used it when I went to Kamacon. My only wish was for more music on my laptop, to drown out the obnoxious teenagers sitting across from me.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, I can't bring knitting needles, either, and that is a bummer.
Plastic or wooden needles should usually be just fine -- see the TSA page on knitting and other crafts items at http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1252.xml.

I've personally never had any problem with metal needles, but then again, I also forget to take my pocket knife out of my purse a lot, and security has never caught that either. So that may be more neglect than policy.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Greyhound advice (from one who has taken WAY too many Greyhound trips):

Buses usually only stop at fast food places (starch and sugar), so bring along veggie snacks -- carrots, a veggie sub, etc. And bring a water bottle, too!

Oranges are a great snack -- when you peel one, you get this wonderful orange aroma aura around you for a while that helps blot out that indefiniable je-ne-sais-quoi bus aroma of stale air, smokers' breath, and antiseptic bathroom smell.

Wear layers -- Greyhound buses tend to be overheated, you'll probably want to peel off layers as needs be.

Buses are most crowded on weekends, try to travel on weekdays. Try to get express buses, and not get the local buses that stop every half hour.

Sleeping on buses is awful. If you can, try to avoid overnight trips -- break up your trip by stopping off at a friend's if that works out.

But if you've GOT to do an overnight trip, tips for sleeping: bring earplugs and a sleeping mask. I've never actually tried a sleeping pill, but sometimes I've taken valerian (herbal extract) to better help me sleep. Bring a travel pillow (in case you need to sleep sitting up). If you're lucky and the bus isn't crowded, you can sprawl out into the seat next to you; bring a pillow, or at least a nice bulky coat, for padding.

Try to get a seat near the front -- not right behind the driver, in case he's talking to someone and his conversation keeps you up -- maybe around row 3 or so. The closer to the front you are, the less you'll get disturbed by other passengers getting up to walk back to the bathroom. Sometimes you can stretch your legs into the aisle (or, for tall folks, across the aisle onto the opposite seats) and get better sleep that way.

Only bring really fun stuff to read. Audiobooks are great, especially for when you're too uncomfortable to sleep but not awake enough to read a book.

Bring a deck of cards if you feel like playing cards with someone, and bring along a cribbage board in case you're lucky enough to run into a fellow cribbage player! [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.