FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OK, country music fans, sell me on it (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OK, country music fans, sell me on it
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What kind of music did you expect me to like, Primal Curve - gangster rap? Jazz fusion? German techno? I don't dress like country singers (mostly), I just like their music. Although, a lot of couture lines have been inspired by country style.

I would have figured American Idol-style balladeering and Lawrence Welk. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
To add to the list of genre-crossing acts, my favorite band is the Indigo Girls. They are generally classified as alternative, but they have very strong roots in country, bluegrass, and punk (if you can believe that blend!).

If you aren't already familiar with them, or if all you know about are the two or three widely-known songs, you should look into them. They are a very eclectic pair!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
REBA!!!!!

She is a goddess.

Its amazing how much women's rights and strengths can best be seen in Country Music, and is missing in so much of the rest of music. Much of that is due to the strong part women have played in country music since the diva Patsy Kline. We have gone from "Stand By Your Man" to "Girls Lie Too."

But, um, some other great songs of humorous vein...

"What was I thinking?" Every man will understand.

"I'm here for the party." Every man will dream of finding this woman. Well, many men will.

"Indian Outlaw" has some of the best word play this side of rap.

Oh, and I was mentally singing "Some Beach" when I went to the dentist last week.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I would have figured American Idol-style balladeering and Lawrence Welk."

Ah, but American Idol has the consummate rocker this year, Bo Byce, who just might win.

Chris, central Florida, eh? Even better for my music proseltyzing ways.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus- you are getting ticked off at Tim McGraw for the wrong reasons. It is John Michael Montgomery that sings the song about the evil drug-using non-christian parents. Tim McGraw is too gritty for that kind of thing.

Chris- Tim McGraw has a lot of really good stuff. Alan Jackson also has a lot of fun songs.

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would have figured American Idol-style balladeering and Lawrence Welk.
If only there was a fist-shaking emoticon. [Taunt]

Some folk singers have done gorgeous versions of some of my favorites. I prefer the Joan Baez versions of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down and East Virginia to all others.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Started journalling my musical journey - http://cabridges.livejournal.com .

It can only get stranger from here.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The latest "New Country" funny song, for some reason Steve likes it. I have no idea what group, but they've got an interesting music video.

"Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy."

AJ

(Big & Rich is the band, I just looked it up.)

The music video is here: http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/big_rich/artist.jhtml (along with the music.) I wish they showed more of the drum major. *drool*

[ March 14, 2005, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've rated Alison Krauss and Brooks & Dunn in horribly shortsighted, kneejerk ways. This is fun!
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, I'll second that vote for the Indigo Girls. My sister introduced me, and now theirs is my favorite driving CD. Some really great guitar work there and some great non-sappy lyrics.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Another two that I find interesting are Lucero and The Drive-By Truckers. They would both be more classified as alt-country.

Another good source of humor in country music is Hayseed Dixie. They do A Hillbilly Tribute to AC/DC, A Hillbilly Tribute to Kiss, and A Hillbilly Tribute to Mountain Love.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll double check, Jacare, but since I actually have Tim McGraw's greatest hits album (I know--Can you believe it?!) I would be surprised if I were wrong on this one.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Just posted thoughts on the Dixie Chicks.

At this rate I'll be through the entire history of C&W by the summer. Then I can start on rap!

Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Maybe you can combine the two genres. Country + Rap= Crap.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered (saw the video), Loretta Lynn did an amazing duet with Jack White (yes, of the White Stripes) - Portland, Oregon.

Also, Kenny Rogers did a new version of The Gambler with Wyclef Jean. It's actually called Kenny Rogers - Pharoahe Monch Dub Plate.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe you can combine the two genres. Country + Rap= Crap.
Hopefully you have no idea how right you are - I was watching CMT for the first time in a long while and they kept playing "I Play Chicken With the Train" by Cowboy Troy. I have no idea who decided to combine Country and Rap, but whoever it is should be shot (or forced to listen to Cowboy Troy until they go mad - should only take a couple songs).

Admittedly though, I do like "Over and Over" by Nelly and Tim McGraw.

[ March 31, 2005, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Risuena ]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Cowboy Troy works with Big and Rich and their CD "Horse of a Different Color" combines the two genres pretty well... especially "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy"

I recommend a listen to decide, but there's agood chance you may like it as I did.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I actually love the rap style in other genres. Sometimes, it comes off as sort of a slam poetry thing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.