FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Ms. Hatriquette (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dear Ms. Hatriquette
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You vibrate the sheet at some magic frequency and the end result is that most if not all of the bolts "stand up straight"
Maybe the metal sheet was also magnetized.

A lot of that assembly line stuff is top secret, and we are required to sign an NDA before they let us into the plant. And there is definitely no picture taking allowed. The personal computer manufacturer has assembly line secrets that allow him to build and ship computers faster than his competitors; a snack chip manufacturer has a secret method for getting the flavored coating to stay on the chip, etc..

I'm not really involved at the assembly level. Usually by the time it gets to me, it's all boxed up and ready to ship.

Once saw an interesting trick one plant uses for getting whole chicken breasts to flow through a pipe.

And while many of your Fallow posts were over my head, it was fun trying to figure them out. It made me feel smart if I managed to decipher even the first layer. And many of your posts had multiple layers...like ogres.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
perception's a bitch ain't it?

but seriously, have you ever seen that technique employed in the factories you've visited?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I must have you. Let me buy you a drink.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

telpy,

thanks for the offer, mind if I give it some thought?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

That part about bolts "standing up straight" seems to have awakened our tree friend.

I haven't observed the technique myself, but I've heard that it works with wood as well.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

Skil,

I had to rewrite that bastard of a paragraph 3 times over to minimize ulterior-symbolism-attachments and it still came across as confusing. This is not an insult. This is a base confusion in the language written (or transcribed). I wonder if it flew over TD's head, too?

skillery
Member # 6209

Do you think the optimum vibration frequency to get the bolts to stand up is determined by the length of the bolt, or is it the mass of the bolt?
alluvion
Member # 7462

yes.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I wonder if being an Antiluvian would also mean being an Anti-fallow... hmmmm...

[ March 17, 2005, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I wonder if it flew over TD's head, too?"

No. [Smile] But I must say that I'm rather surprised to discover that my humor apparently flies over your head, Mike. I've always assumed, for all your own tendency towards obfuscation, that you were a pretty perceptive guy.

[ March 17, 2005, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, mine is so much bigger than both of yours. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*cautiously backs out of the boys' only thread*

[Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.