FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I guess there really was a Dread Pirate Roberts...

Author Topic: I guess there really was a Dread Pirate Roberts...
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Bartholomew Roberts (ca. 1682-1721)

When Bartholomew Roberts was a young man working board a British merchant galley, it was attacked by two pirate ships and he was taken prisoner and subsequently forced to work aboard the pirate's ship. Six weeks later, when the pirate ship's captain was killed, the crew elected Roberts captain. Roberts became the most successful pirate of the following era (c. 1690-1725), plundering more than 400 ships from the coasts of West Africa, Brazil, the Caribbean, and as far north as New­foundland. His reign of terror finally came to an end when he was fatally shot during a battle with a British warship.

There's a longer biography here .
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the names in The Princess Bride, including the Cliffs of Insanity, are real.

But I know, the ROUS'es don't exist.

[pounce]Aaaaahhhhhhh [/pounce]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
cool

and dan [ROFL]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Bartholemew Roberts 'Black Bart' was born in a really pretty, very tiny little Welsh village called Casnewydd-Bach (Little Newcastle), where I've spent some wonderful summer vacations. They have a memorial to him on the village green. They're really proud of him.

I'm really freaked to find a reference to him on Hatrack. Coincidence is a weird thing.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that! He was really clever, too, a most excellent pirate. Eventually, when he died and his ship was taken, his men were sentenced to death and the sentence said:

quote:
Ye and each of ye are adjudged and sentenced to be carried back to the place from whence you came, from thence to the place of execution without the doors of this castle, and there within the flood marks to be hanged by the neck till you are dead, dead, dead. And the Lord have mercy upon your souls.
Oh, yes. It's true. Dead, dead, dead.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Wort, wort, wort!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know it was the real Dread Pirate Roberts that was killed by the British? I thought the original had retired.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad he changed his first name to "Dread Pirate" because "Bartholomew" doesn't sound very manacing.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
See? I knew Hatrack was educational.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrrr, me hearties!

Methinks we have a theme for next year's WenchCon!

Long John Silver's and rum (for those of you inclined and old enough to indulge) [Big Grin]

And the puns will shiver the timbers themselves. [Evil]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm glad he changed his first name to "Dread Pirate" because "Bartholomew" doesn't sound very manacing.
He didn't. The guy who wrote Princess Bride, however, did take some liberty. As mentioned earlier, Bartholomew Roberts was known better as Black Bart.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! That is all. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Bartholomew is a very impressive Pirate name. I remember reading about the pirate Bartholomew, or Bart for short, who pillaged the high seas and was a terror to the Royal Govenor Charles Montgomery Burns, and his loyal toady Smithers.

No matter what Admiral Skinner would do, Pirate Bart always managed to get away. Although it is believed that Ensign Maggie was the one that finally sunk pirate Bart, it was really Bart's father, and one time navigator, Homer, who in a drunken fit accidently mistook the helm for a donut and ate it in the midst of battle.

Mmmmmm Donut.

Um. Maybe I better check my sources one more time before I post more.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Boris, I was kidding! [Smile]
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.