FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » games at the-underdogs.org (or Ben unveils his true nerd self)

Author Topic: games at the-underdogs.org (or Ben unveils his true nerd self)
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at work and one of my associates just emailed me this link to a website that has archived a bunch of games/clones that have become public domain. Alot of the games from my early PC Gaming years are there to download for free. This makes me very happy. www.the-underdogs.org

That is all...

[ March 15, 2005, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Been there, done that, got the "Legacy of the Ancients" and "Seven Cities of Gold" downloads. [Smile]

It is a cool site for the retro-geek.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Return to Zork is on there...I feel OLD! [Cry]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. People think Return to Zork is old.

Now _I_ feel old [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
They need more old-tymey MECC games... Dr. Livingston I presume, yo!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw man, they have Dig-dug, space invaders, and wheel of fortune. I used to play those on the old Tandy. *reminisces*
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nerd!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
(This is Tom, posting from Christy's laptop.)

I'm afraid that I've got a DVD or two full of games taken from Underdogs. I feel rather guilty about a few of them, since "abandonware" exists in an ethical grey area -- but since I owned all the originals of the versions I've downloaded, I've been able to cope.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, hey! I ran across this site about six months ago and downloaded XOR Football. I used to love that game. Now I love it again! [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I really need to stay away from that site... [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
syipress
Member # 7569

- posted      Profile for syipress   Email syipress         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this site is great. There are all kinds of cool oldies on there. Some of these games I haven't seen for years [Smile]
MUST GET HOME TO DOWNLOAD!! *twitches*

Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its important to point out that these works are not in the public domain, and that the site does not claim they are. Furthermore, most things being distributed on the site are being illegally distributed (as they also state), though they might possibly keep it in the realm of a civil violation because they make efforts to contact the copyright holders for permission and do not distribute anything still being sold new anywhere, or that has been for a while.

Oh, and downloading from them is, in most cases, illegal as well, though nobody'd ever go after you for it, and even if they did the most they might get is an agreement from you not to do it again (in tiny cases like that the courts have frowned on copyright holders pursuing very minor violators beyond agreements not to do it again).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

duly noted.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an ethical problem with "stealing" stuff like this. I never illegally download songs. I buy the CD or buy them on iTunes. BUT, the stuff here is not available for sale, and, at least in the case of XOR, it probably never will be. If the legal copyright owners (who went our of business btw . . . what happens to copyright in that case?) would sell it to me, I would gladly pay it. So I rationalize this one to myself because there isn't a way to pay for it, there's nobody to collect money anyway, and I'm not costing them sales they would otherwise have.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

i feel the same way.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it is not, in any way stealing. Stealing is a separate phenomenon. This is copyright infringement.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

If it's old games, that I used to have, and that I can't find anywhere, I don't have a problem downloading it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.