FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There's a Mouse in my House (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There's a Mouse in my House
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
My roommates have just discovered that there is a mouse somewhere in this apartment. It has been spotted twice over the last couple days. Although it was funny to watch them open cabinets and doors while holding a broom and a flyswatter, I am guessing this is not the most effective way to get rid of this varmint.

But my girlfriend wants to be a vet, and it goes without saying that she has a certain affinity for animals. She says that if I kill the mouse she will be very very very angry.

So I need a humane way to dispose of this creature. I watched Tom and Jerry as a kid, but I'm not real sure a box held up by a stick with a string and some cheese is the way to go either.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a way to humanely capture and rid myself of this varmint?

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy humane traps at a hardware store. What are you going to do with it once you catch it?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Chase the mouse that's in your house
with a fox into a box!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You could get yourself a cat.
That would make that mouse go scat!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
As my daughter would say:

Shame. Shame.
Shame on you
For what you do!

Everything revolves around "A Fly Went By" right now. Dr. Seuss has been replaced.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Be very careful if you decide to capture it live. House mice carry all sorts of diseases, including Hanta virus.

It would really be better to use a standard mouse trap - they kill the mouse almost instantaneously by breaking its neck.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Use a standard trap, dispose of the body before your girlfriend finds out and coordinate the stories with your roomies.

If she asks, lie. Lie a lot.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Annie, they don't always. If the bar hits them too far down their back it'll just break their spine and paralyze them without killing them.

I've typically resorted to sticky traps, myself. They're terrifying for the mice, unfortunately, but as long as you find them and free them quickly enough they aren't fatal. To free a mouse from a sticky trap, all you need is a bottle of vegetable oil--pour it over the trap and the glue looses its stickiness. It works its way under the mouse fairly quickly, and he's free before you know it.

Of course, the mouse is likely to be exhausted, and in a state of shock both from having been caught and having been menaced by a giant, so chances are good that what you're actually doing is providing an owl or a snake with an easy meal, but what can you do? At least that way another creature is profiting from the mouse's death.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If the standard trap hits perfectly it kills the mouse instantly by breaking it's neck. If it doesn't, they thrash and squeal piteously for quite some time. If you're me, the mice decide to come out and get trapped about ten minutes after you decide to go to bed, so you're treated to the loud snap and squealing right as you were drifting off to sleep.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

*grumble*

Or you can buy a "live capture" trap that drops steel bars on either side of the entrance, but a normal mouse is so light, those are pretty iffy.

A mouse can sneak in, steal the bait and run off without ever engaging the trigger.

-Trevor

Edit: For typo. Normal as in "not a rat".

[ March 15, 2005, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Im telling you, get a trash can and provide a sturdy ramp propped up on the side of it. Then place food up the ramp and inside the trash can. The mouse is likely to jump in if you do it right and not be able to jump out because of the slick sides (though you need to make sure the trashcan is tall enough). Then all you have to do is get up the next morning and find a full but stuck mouse to take outside.

I know this can work because this is how we used to catch our hamsters when they got out.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

RR: I told you before, I do not have a ramp. We have a bucket, but no way for the mouse to get inside. I suppose we could break the ping pong table and use it, but that seems like wonton and pointless destruction in the name of a varmint. Personally, I like the suggestions where I kill it and lie to you. [Evil]

Everyone else, thanks for the (sometimes) helpful suggestions. And thanks for the ones that made me laugh as well. I will keep you updated.

Thus far, I have not seen the mouse...

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I use regular, disposable, crush-em style traps. No tears from me over a dead rodent, and my family kept a microtus pennsylvanicus (meadow vole) as a pet for little over a year. Given the large populations of these rodents, crushing a few in my dwelling won't dent their numbers. I might feel differently if I was contributing to the destruction of their habitat. There WAS a mouse somewhere in my apartment, I know because I saw the "evidence," but he disappeared before I found out. Hmm...you guys are giving me another argument for acquiring a pet cat, aren't you? *suspicious look*
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a $3 humane trap -- usually a clear plastic tube/ramp thingy -- and put some peanut butter on a cracker. Unless you have a roommate who likes peanut butter beyond all comprehension, this works just fine.

And it's considerably better than killing harmless mice.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

It works fine if the mice fall for it Tom. In my expereince, though, they either figure out that the trap is just that, a trap, and avoid it, or are able to raid the trap without getting caught. Maybe I just attract unusually wiley mice.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"My roommates have just discovered that there is a mouse somewhere in this apartment."

A mouse?
Hee hee.
They tend to hang out in groups of about a thousand, I'm afraid.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo, did you name it?
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Off topic moment:

(Myr, the 70's floor tile is being covered by a lovely stick-on tile today-do you want me to save you a patch as a memory? hee he)

end off topic moment

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"It works fine if the mice fall for it Tom. In my expereince, though, they either figure out that the trap is just that, a trap, and avoid it, or are able to raid the trap without getting caught."

Hm. In the event that you are infested by Super-Mice, yes, your typical transparent tube trap won't help you. You'll need Lex Luthor.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take the rats of NIMH over Lex any day.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no!!! I'll miss the 70s floor [Frown] !

I wish I could save the whole thing and pave my dorm room in it [Evil]

RIP cool 70s floor.

[/offtopic]

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

But what if you mess up and get a *red* kryptonite cat by mistake? Then you'd be in all sorts of trouble.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I thought the title said Moose...
I guess you could just lay a glue trap and when it gets caught, then you could just get rid of the glue and leave the mouse 5o miles away from your home. Or you could also toss it in your ex's backyard.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

That's why all of our super mouse traps haven't worked...nobody's been in a black trench coat, fedora and taunting the mouse with a bad Russian accent.

-Trevor

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
We were cleaning my grandma's house after she had been gone for over a year -- there was mouse sign all over her bathroom.

But that's not the worst of it. There were two long-dead mice in the bowl of the toilet.

It was the nastiest experience I've ever encountered in my life, cleaning up the poo and nibbled soap and mouse carcasses.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
x.X
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

UPDATE:

I just saw the mouse. It bounded out from behind my tv and under the door to the living room. So we know for certain now that it is real, and it is here. I will immediately set forth to set up some kind of trap involving all of the suggestions here. It will most likely kill me in the middle of the night when i fall for my own trap.

TMedina
Member # 6649

That is the major drawback to lethal traps - do NOT leave them where you might accidentally step on one.

If you have any pets or if kids are present at any point, don't use them at all.

Other than that - happy hunting. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Posted:
Mouse hunting season is on!

EDIT: I suggest grabbing a shotgun and shooting at it like when Ash tries to "kill" his own hand in Evil Dead 2....

[ March 16, 2005, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

As much as I laughed at my roommates yesterday, I am just as big a fool. Upon sighting the mouse, I grabbed a broom and proceeded to poke everything in the house to see if it came out. Apparently I was going to sweep it away? Yes.

Phase 2: I wonder if my parents still have the old game mousetrap at home...Maybe they could send it to me and that will work.

--ApostleRadio

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Better mice than rats!

<remembers killing rats the size of housecats that were into the dog food>

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The first mouse I saw in my house my parents were over, and Dad grabbed my corn broom and very efficiently killed the mouse. I didn't want to do that, but the next one I saw, I happened to have the broom and have the mouse cornered. I stood there, trying to make myself kill the stupid thing, until it ran past me and under the stove.

These were not the chocolate thievin' mice from this year, this was about 6 years ago when I first moved in. I seem to have gotten mice every third year in the house, now that I think about it. Hmmmm.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

[Laugh]

Oh my god, that's funny.

That mouse wasn't being hungry, he was getting personal.

-Trevor

prolixshore
Member # 4496

Ok, I went to walmart to buy traps for this mouse. They didn't even HAVE lethal traps! What is this? The Wal-mart I know and love is all about stomping out and killing the little guys, whether it be mom and pop stores or mice in my apartment. I'm not sure if I like this new touchy feely wal-mart.

So my girlfriend gets her wish. We now have non-lethal traps set around the apartment. These traps include the Mice Cube (I'm sure the bad rhyme is intended, though it makes me shudder at the marketing geniuses who thought it up) and some sticky traps. These are all baited with snickers bars, because once my sister had a mouse in her apartment, and she finally caught it using snickers bars.

As a semi-amusing sidenote: I felt really bad about buying candy for a mouse and nothing for myself. So I bought myself a Caramello bar because they are better than Snickers and I am at the top of the food chain, dangit!

To be continued...

--ApostleRadio

RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I win! yay! I love winning [Big Grin]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
A good mouser is the best way to dispose of mice. All the evidence is eaten.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The combination of a good mouser and a wiley mouse is a good way to get cat pee sprayed down your stove's burners.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"All the evidence is eaten."

Not all, Jenny.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Noemon, that happened to us! It was probably the most disgusting household moment in our history!
TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* I have to admit, watching a mouse try to scamper by an old mouser sitting on a ledge napping in the sun was an educational experience.

Without so much as batting an ear or opening an eye, this wiley old cat rolled off the carport wall and landed squarely on the scurrying little rodent.

The improvised lesson in rodent physiology was fascinating.

-Trevor

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

That mouse getting to the Quaker bars was so funny and cute!!!!!
[Laugh] adam613

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

We had a mouse jump into our washing machine for a while. I went in to get the clothes, and there was movement.
If there had been a chair, I would have jumped up on it, just like in the movies.
We captured him, put him outside, and "he" returned. Turned out we wer majorly infested. Our cat had gotten old at that point. Now, we have the Death Squad, a mother-daughter team. I haven't seen a mouse, or a mouse turd, in a couple of years.
(and the cat pee in stove incident was a couple of years ago, perhaps in the first stage of mouse annihilation.)

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The combination of a good mouser and a wiley mouse is a good way to get cat pee sprayed down your stove's burners.
Ah, the classic Spite Piss.

quote:
Without so much as batting an ear or opening an eye, this wiley old cat rolled off the carport wall and landed squarely on the scurrying little rodent.
Nice to see a real professional at work, eh?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

[Razz]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

CT, has the stove pee happened to you, too?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

No, butIreadaboutitonHatrack. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, the time it happened I was absolutely horrified. I told someone, and they said it had happened to them! But I never knew why.

The things you find out. When we were playing a game in science class, we learned that squirrels eat baby birds. i was horrified, thinking they were gentle herbivores. Upon further research, we found out that squirrels get addicted to nicotine from eating ciagarette butts. One of my students said, "Oh my! One day we were sitting on the porch, and my aunt was smoking a cigarette. This squirrel kept jumping at her. Now I know why!"

And we all thought smooking was dangerous simply due to cancer?

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
And we all thought smooking was dangerous simply due to cancer?
Smooking is one of the most dangerous pastimes in human history. Much more dangerous than smoking.

Edit--you wouldn't think so, with a name like that, would you? It's the innocent sounding name that drawns them in, lulls them into a false sense of security, and then VHWOOM! there goes their future.

[ March 17, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I used to smook, back in my wild and carefree days. Now I just have flashbacks.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Smooking is kissing a smoker, right?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.