FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Favorite Coffee Mug

Author Topic: My Favorite Coffee Mug
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
My beautiful wonderful "Moose Drool" thick heavy glass large capacity (but not ridiculous 44 ounce travel version) coffee mug cracked this morning. I had just finished a cup o' joe, and went for a refill. I set the cup down, turned off the coffee pot, and poured the all the coffee that fit into the carafe to keep it warm without using electricity, leaving maybe a quarter cup in the pot.

Now I don't drink my coffee all that hot. I like to take swallows rather than sips, so I use a tiny amount of creamer and a larger amount of milk, then add the coffee. And I often need to let the coffee cool for a while before I take my first gulp. My point is that by the time I finish a cup of coffee, the coffee is slightly warmer than lukewarm, but far from hot.

Well, after filling the carafe, I opened the fridge to get the milk. With the small amount of coffee left (I was saving the rest for when I got home from the gym), I wasn't even going to use creamer. Just a tiny splash of milk. So I poured the milk -- maybe a tablespoon -- into the mug.

CRACK!

A wonderful sliver running the diameter of the base, slightly over halfway up one side, and about three quarters of the way up the other. Sadly, the placement of the crack decapitates the moose portrayed on the mug.

So what's the deal? It's not like I poured ice into a crystal bowl punch bowl here. This is a coffee mug, for Pete's sake!

So I'm a little annoyed, but mostly sad. I'm gonna miss my mug.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Pop)))

My condolences for your loss.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you, Papa Moose. An ideal coffee mug makes the coffee taste that much better.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I dropped my favorite coffee mug ever...

It was the perfect coffee mug for my job in IT... It had a cute little sock puppet saying "QUIT YER BITCHIN'" in big letters.

I was sitting on a work bench at a meeting and as I got up hamfistedly reached for it... knocking it on to the not-very-soft carpet. I miss my QUIT YER BITCHIN' mug... : [Cry] :

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I guess moose drool is powerful stuff O_o

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the loss is still raw, but you could always replace it.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I could send you a half-dozen or so. They might not be as cool as yours, but hey, think of the volume.

( [Grumble] Everybody thinks a coffee mug is such a freaking clever gift to give a teacher. [Grumble] )

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Before the body's even cold? Jeez, give the man some time to mourn!
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a lovely matched set of 18 Sears mugs, in addition to tons of other coffee cups, but thanks anyway, Icky. No, this one was special. And if I decide to replace it, apparently it's a party glass, not a mug. But it just isn't quite the same....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* You were using a glass -- not Pyrex, but regular glass -- mug for hot coffee?

Uh . . . most likely, this crack has been gradually forming for a long time. The slight shock of the cold milk today was merely the finishing blow.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa, I'm surprised it didn't shatter the first time you poured coffee into it - how long have you been using it?
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

About four years, maybe.

And now I feel like I'm being talked out of a replacement. *snif* I miss my mug. We had good times....

mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using the same glass party mug for about 7 years now... go ahead and get the replacement (a few), if they all last 4 yrs, it is still a reasonable investment given your propensity for moose drool.
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely, you're being talked out of a new one (at least by me). Seriously, I'm having visions of you taking a sip of coffee and the mug shattering and cutting your face off.

Sorry about the graphic image, but I'm Southern and Jewish, so I'm genetically predisposed to leap to the most outlandishly horrible and virtually impossible (but my mother's friend once knew someone that had that very thing happen to her son) situation.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Papa Moose. my father has been drinking coffee from his Amogerone Fire Department mug for thirty years. Naysay the naysayers I say!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Have you considered calling the manufacturer and seeing what they think about hot beverages in one of their mugs?

I would be less concerned than Mrs.M; however, it is not unlikely that the next one would last considerably less time. Or potentially longer -- the tiny, invisible variances in the glass can make a big difference when it comes to heat expansion.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

That sounds suspiciously like effort, rivka. Not sure I can do that. *yawn*
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh*

Because dealing with bits of shattered glass is so much less work?

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

But it didn't shatter. The mug is still in one piece, in fact -- just has a very long crack in it.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Papa Moose, how about this for a compromise.

Since all coffee mugs should be heated before coffee is poured into them anyway, just run hot water into it before the coffee is poured, to prime the pump as it were.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Pops, hot coffee in a glass mug sounds very dangerous. You can't use the one that is cracked - it's blood and tears waiting to happen.

How about one of these?

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

But the problem happened when I added the cold milk to the cup. Running the cup under hot water would then increase rather than decrease the likelihood of a problem again, wouldn't it?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Cold milk poured into hot coffee! Are you mad!!

It happpened not because the cup was cold, the coffee hot, and the milk poured in, but because the coffee itself was outraged! Would you want a buckt of cold water poured on you when you step out of the shpwer???

OK, heat cup. Heat milk. Pour coffee in.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Not cold milk poured into hot coffee. Cold milk poured into empty cup. Hot coffee poured into cold milk. If anybody's got a right to be upset here, it's the milk.

And after a hot shower, I run cold water for a few minutes. Otherwise I'm sweating profusely by the time I get dressed. I suppose I'd be pretty adverse to the use of a bucket, though.

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
That explains it. The cold milk made the cup even colder and more prone to break when confronted with the hot coffee.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Papa Moose, the coffee is still the victim here. I know there is the Polar Bear Club and all that nonsense, but the poor coffee has to jump into cold milk.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ela, really, this is not a matter of physics. It is more of a moral question, as I see it. Marriage of hot coffee and cold milk product is a sin. Period.

[ March 16, 2005, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Ela
Member # 1365

Liz, you are a riot.

Do you have AIM? If not you should get it. I want to be able to chat with you. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

The cup broke before there was coffee in it. It broke when cold was introduced, not heat.

Liz, it's not like polar-bearing into a freezing lake. Considering the ratio of coffee to milk, it's more like stomping and splashing in a puddle. The coffee should have been having a wonderful time -- it's probably just too snooty to admit it.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I generally put a metal spoon into the glass first. The link discusses the physics of it.

I may have learned this from Alton Brown -- don't quite remember. Definitely a chef-like person.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ela, I do not have AIM, because my husband repeatedly deletes it, saying it is Spyware, etc. I did have Yahoo Messenger, though.

Forget AIM, just come and visit your daughter again!

As for you, Papa Moose, there is nothing I can really say, as you are obviously entrenched in denial, and therefore in a pattern of behavior that is beyond modification.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooohh....this fabulous, safe, ceramic moose mug is the best so far. [Smile]

[ March 16, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Well, phooey on your husband, Liz. [Razz]

I'd like to come back and visit again. [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I hope you do visit soon!

As for Aim, maybe I will sneak it on again.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Wonders what a coffee-purist like Elizabeth would think if she found out it was flavored coffee....>
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Papa Moose, I happen to have Dunkin Donuts French vanilla with two creams at least a few times a week. (had kids in my class do a math problem for me to figure out how much I spend a week-yikes!)

For me, it is not so much that I am a coffee purist as a hot coffeeist. Or a hottest. (no, definitely not that) I have a huge problem with most coffee makers, because they do not make coffee that burns my lips off upon sipping.

I have a GAT, but it makes nasty coffe now. Something happened to it. This is what it looks like:
http://www.espressozone.com/bialetti-7857.html

We have limey water so it might be that, though I cleaned it with vinegar. Might be time for a new one.

[ March 16, 2005, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I tripped last week and dropped (and broke) my second favorite coffee mug. Wasn't even made of glass or anything. It was just made of less durable material than the floor was, apparently. It's the one Bob_Scopatz used when he stayed here (it had a Texas theme [probably why it was so big], and Bob still lived in Texas back then).

I'm now using my "Moose Munch" cup -- slightly larger than the Texas cup but smaller than the Moose Drool one. But it feels much more fragile, and it has to be hand washed, and the inside isn't a smooth surface, so getting it clean is kind of a pain.

<Still refuses to believe that "Someone" is trying to tell him "something." Thus far.>

--Pop

rivka
Member # 4859

I think the message is, "Look where you're going already!"
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The obvious reason is that you've been hanging out with too many Mormons, and your coffee mugs are starting to get mad. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And yet mine seem happy and contented.

Perhaps this is because they are made of plastic and metal, not glass or ceramicware? *whistles*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. An interesting theory. Do they express their displeasure in other ways? Have you been having more spills lately?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nope. And I recently got quite a bit of the coffees I like on sale, as well as some new flavors, and I found a bunch of tea latte powders at Big Lots.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, then you haven't been hanging out with enough Mormons. We need to get together.

I have to give you back L&C, anyway. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* Sounds good. Not tonight, though. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Not this week, period. Maybe next week or the week after. We'll have to see. [Smile]
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. Brian always makes his latte in a "Working Glass", and keeps blaoming me for their breaking. Hmmmm. I use ceramic and have had the same mug for years. (It has a big chip, needs replacing).

Papa, Starbucks makes some very thick, big mugs.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Your broken moose drool mug made me sad so I searched on ebay for you a new one. I could only find moose drool beer stuff, so maybe that is the answer to your problem. Stop drinking so much coffee and switch to beer.

http://search-desc.ebay.com/Moose-Drool_W0QQfromZR41QQftsZ2QQsatitleZQ22MooseQ20DroolQ22

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my! That's so sad. I'd be devastated if my moose mug broke, it's my favorite mug ever!

Edit: Not poking fun, I really do have a moose mug and I love it.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread deserves a little more polemic tone...
Starbucks coffees taste like mud compared to Gloria Jean's !
*runs and hides*

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is making me want coffee.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.