FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jewish resteraunts... do they exist??

Author Topic: Jewish resteraunts... do they exist??
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Question!
Is there such a thing as Jewish resteraunts that serve traditional jewish meals?

A previous thread was talking about the interesting things to eat and since I don't know any Judeo cooks ... well there we go.

[Smile]

Also.. is there such a thing as kosher alchohol?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. There are Jewish restaurants. [Smile]

There's kosher alcohol here, I don't know if you can find it outside of Israel, though. Probably in major cities.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a Jewish chain that I can look up? Or are they all mom&pop shops?
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Hmmm... good question. I'm not sure.

I usually avoid Jewish restaurants, because if I go out to eat, I generally aim for something that I can't easily get at home. [Razz]

But I'll try to look into that for you!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Thanks!
Raia
Member # 4700

[Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there was a service who dropped off meals for guests in our hotel who needed Kosher food. We had guests who stayed with us who worked at the Milwaukee Institute for Torah Studies (I think I have the name right) who used the service frequently. They also pestered our breakfast person about how the food was prepared [Razz] .
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
There's no chain that I know of. But if you Google for kosher and a city name, you'll probably come up with one or two. Of course, at many deli's, you can get some things that are close to traditional Jewish recipes.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Welcome to Hatrack, Minerva! [Wave]

I love your nick!

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a "deli" in town that's really more like a diner serving greasy Jewish food. Knishes, latkes, blintzes, matzo ball soup, you name it. It's the kind of place where, if you order your food to go, the paper bag is see-through by the time you get home. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say the same thing as Zeugma. Look for a good Jewish deli, as they often serve dishes for taking home.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
How you define traditional Jewish food depends on what part of the world you're from. [Razz]
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Jewish Mother in Virginia Beach. More like a NY Jewish Deli, and definitely not only kosher (I don't even know if they serve kosher meals).

So it's probably not at all what you're looking for, but it's a good restaurant and you made me think of it, so there you go. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, Matzo Ball soup rules, Adam.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"How you define traditional Jewish food depends on what part of the world you're from."

This reminds me of a Friends episode when Ross was going to China.

"Cool, you will get to eat lots of Chinese food"

"Um, I bet in China, they just call it food."

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
adam means Pico Kosher Deli (commonly referred to as PKD).

I see you're in the Detroit area, Telp, yes?
This is a kosher café (which may of may not have much in the way of distinctly "Jewish" food); three other kosher restaurants in the area; places in Detroit calling themselves "delis" -- this one looks particularly likely.

Enjoy! [Big Grin]

[ March 17, 2005, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

I was lucky enough to go to my first Seder with a staunch vegetarian, who warned me away from the gefilte fish. [Evil] I did, however, eat all of the other crazy stuff.
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Gefilte fish is YUMMY! And unlike adam, I rather like Passover food. Some of it -- matzo ball soup, matzo brei, flourless almond cookies, macaroons -- I even eat the rest of the year.

[ March 17, 2005, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

How efficient of you.

This must be why they pay you the big bucks.

Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Come to South Florida for a visit. I've got a Jewish deli on every corner! Yum!
And you can get Kosher wine at Publix!
[Smile]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't wine Kosher by definition? What's in their that might make it non-Kosher?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm.... gefilte...

It's a little slimy but it's sooooo good....

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] I have no idea, I just know it says "Kosher" on it. I think it's blessed by a Rabbi or heavily salted or something. [Wink]
I make a very bad Jew.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Israeli food could also be considered Jewish. Israeli food is pretty similar to other Middle-Eastern food, except that Israeli restaurants don't serve anything dairy.
Um...unless it's a dairy middle-eastern restaurant. [Wink]

And of course, there are also dairy restaurants featuring food of eastern European Jews. [Smile]

Constant Reader, where in South Florida are you? You must be in shootin' distance of where I live.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Israeli food is pretty similar to other Middle-Eastern food, except that Israeli restaurants don't serve anything dairy.
Um, that's not true... Jewish restaurants that keep kosher will be either a meat or a dairy menu. There are, however, several restaurants in Israel that are not kosher, and serve both. Those are usually the same ones that are open on friday nights, because the ones that keep kosher are usually closed on the sabbath.

It's true that Israeli food is similar to other Middle Eastern food, though, except for if it's kosher. But I've gone to kosher restaurants countless times, and ordered dairy dishes, like Greek salads. Just ask rivka, I had one both times we went to restaurants together. [Smile]

(edit: Blast you, Ela!)

[ March 17, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

quote:
For a wine to be kosher, strict regulations must be followed. It really all begins in the fields. Grapes from new vines may not be used for making wine, until after the fourth year. Every seventh year the fields must be left fallow and there is a prohibition on growing other fruits and vegetables between the vines.

All the equipment, tools and winemaking storage facilities must be kosher. During the harvest, only Sabbath observant male Jews are allowed to work on the production of the wines. Since most of the experienced winemakers in Israel are not observant, this means that they can’t touch the wine or the equipment, during the winemaking process.

During the production of kosher wine, no animal products may be used. Gelatin or egg whites are sometimes used by non-kosher wine makers, to clarify the wine, while kosher wine makers use a clay material, called bentonite, which pulls suspended particles to the bottom of the barrel.

For wine to be kosher one percent of the wine must be discarded, a symbolic remnant of the 10% tithe, paid to the Temple in Jerusalem in days gone by. Additionally, barrels must be cleaned three times.

There are really two levels of kosher wine. The first includes the restrictions outlined above, while the second, known as “mevushal” utilizes an additional process. This is important since Kashrut law stipulates that in order for a wine to retain its ‘kosherness’ once opened and poured by a non-Jew, (such as a waiter, for instance) the wine must be "mevushal."

Bringing the liquid to a boiling point makes this type of wine, causing air bubbles to be brought to the surface and the loss of some wine, due to evaporation. A wine that is produced in this manner retains its religious purity, regardless of who opens or pours it. A study at the University of California at Davis, has proven that it is not possible to consistently taste the difference between non- mevushal and mevushal wine.

To ensure wine’s purity, the codification of koshering wine began in the days of Maimonides. Today, a quick glance at the bottle’s label will clearly indicate whether the wine is kosher or not. Some truly wonderful kosher wine is being produced in Israel.

http://www.gemsinisrael.com/e_article000033155.htm

Neat! I had no idea it was so complicated!

[ March 17, 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Zeugma ]

Ela
Member # 1365

There used to be dairy restaurants on the Lower East Side that were there for generations.

Unfortunately, they are all gone now, as far as I know. [Frown]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

Ela-
I'm in Sunrise. (near Ft. Lauderdale)
Where are you?

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
What metropolitan area are you in? I can ask around for recommendations.
Detroit. [Smile]
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to Hatrack, Minerva!
Raia, take another look at her member number... [Razz]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Heh... oops...

That's quite a lurker we have there! [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

*gloats in L.A. superiority*

WE have many kosher dairy restaurants -- really good ones! Milky Way (owned and managed by Steven Spielberg's mom), Milk 'n' Honey, Pat's (well, it was, it switched to meat a few years back, but it was dairy for over 10 years), Bibi's (only about 3 years old), Café Blue (best French onion soup ever! -- this one has been 2 years under that name, and was Maison Gourmet for 5 years), a couple bagel places, several fish places (including a great place I have gone with Hatrackers, that has a (parve) sushi kitchen and a (dairy) pasta kitchen) . . .

The benefit of lots of kosher-granola types. [Wink] It's a lot easier to get vegetarian stuff (especially if you're not vegan, but even if you are) at a dairy restaurant than a meat one.

*gloats some more, and enjoys her Greek salad* [Big Grin]

Raia
Member # 4700

HOORAY for Greek salad! [Big Grin]
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a good kosher dairy restaurant in South Florida: My Favorite Cafe, in Hollywood.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Is a Hatracker who has gone to that restaurant with rivka.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Constant Reader:

I am in Miami Beach.

And I know where Sunrise is. [Smile]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
adam means Pico Kosher Deli (commonly referred to as PKD).

I see you're in the Detroit area, Telp, yes?
This is a kosher café (which may of may not have much in the way of distinctly "Jewish" food); three other kosher restaurants in the area; places in Detroit calling themselves "delis" -- this one looks particularly likely.

Enjoy!

Thanks darlin!
rivka
Member # 4859

Anytime. [Smile]

Let me know which one(s) you try, and how they are.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.