FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Am I Stupid or What?

Author Topic: Am I Stupid or What?
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
By this time tomorrow morning, my little family will be in the sky above America on our way to Denver, CO. We're going to be spending the next week skiing in Winter Park.

Part of the family is an 18-month old toddler.

What began as nervousness about taking him on the plane has become mild fear. We keep hearing horror stories about taking small children on planes. Please tell me this is not always the case. Only stories about perfect little angels calmly staying in their seat will be allowed in this thread.

We are, of course, taking precautions. We'll make sure he is eating or drinking something during ascent and descent. We have scheduled our flight to have a 2+ hour layover on the way to give him a chance to stretch his legs and wear him out some. We even have benedryl to knock him out as a last resort (w/ doctor's approval of course). We've gathered some new toys for the trip that he's never seen before, but not ones that make a lot of noise.

Any other ideas?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Mail him, and meet him there.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were going skiing in Colorado.... I'd probably find a babysitter/granny/nanny to leave an 18 month old at home with so my skiing could be worry-free!

But.... no, unfortunately I have never been flying with a toddler, so I have no tips.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister's husband works for southwest, so her kids have been on a plane many many times. They behave beautifully for the most part. Looks like you have the right idea.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Farmgirl, we've chosen a place that it family friendly and has great daycare facilities. We're also meeting K's sister and her family there, so we'll be able to take turns skiing and spending time with the kids.

Icarus, I should have asked a week ago. I'm not sure he'll get there before we leave.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Do you think the other passengers will mind if they show Barney as the inflight movie?
Icarus
Member # 3162

Actually, do you have a laptop and headphones?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas is a veteran flyer. We just tried to have toys or animals to play with, and keep him drinking during take off and landing. He loved to look out the window, too. His daddy, on the other hand, is getting mildly ill just thinking about it. [Wink] I'm sure he'll do fine.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some kids do really well on planes; some do really poorly (and kids of one type can, with no notice, morph into the other).

Two adults -- and thus the ability to tag team -- puts you ahead. Good luck!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Most kids need to be entertained- so make sure you've got a lot of things for him to do. A lot.

Best case scenario: He falls asleep.

You might want to encourage this if it's a long flight. After the excitement of take-off, and after the plane starts to seem boring sort him out some way of sleeping and encourage him to lie down and doze, if not sleep.

My little sister flew aged one year and this is the way my mother encouraged her to be.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
My son flew a lot when he was little and he was always wonderful.

I'm not looking forward to flying with his sister next month, though. Every kid is different. If Ryan is not prone to making you crazy most of the time on the ground, he's not any more likely to make you crazier in the air.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep is the best, if you can swing it. T's first trip was very much about sleep, except when he was trying to read my magazine. The next few he was more awake, and really trying to get to the people in front of us. Good thing everybody was understanding. There was that whole barfing thing too, but that was my fault, not his. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Ryan is very good in his car seat unless we make him sit there for too long. That's one of the reasons we didn't get a direct flight.

As far as sleep goes, unfortunately our first flight starts right after he would normally wake up. The layover occurs just about the time he would be taking a nap with the flight taking off about the time he would wake up. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks everyone. I feel better now.

The best thing is that we're flying first class. All those years of shelling out money for the "priviledge" of having an AMEX Delta SkyMiles card are finally going to pay off.

fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend just took her...20 month old on his first trip by air, and he did fine. Honestly I'm more curious about how they make skis that small...

Have a good trip [Smile]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I got here too late, and you already got all the good advice you need. Don't worry too much, you and the little one will probably be fine.

We flew to California with JaneX when she 14 months - she was a bit restless, at one point, so we took her for a walk up the aisle of the plane and back. I always packed lots of toys to entertain small children while traveling, and developed a regular collection of them. [Smile] And lots of snacks, and some drinks, too.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
and some drinks, too.
Are those for Ryan or his parents?
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'll ask again . . . do you have a laptop that can show DVDs?
zgator
Member # 3833

Sorry Joe. No, I don't have a laptop.

What, you think I'm a teacher or something that I could afford something like that? [Razz]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently about 40 miles from Winter Park, I love the vacations I take up there; aside from the plane plight, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I guess you'll be back at school next week, Hobbes?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Hey, Zan... for you and K: start hydrating. I don't know if you're big water drinkers, but when I go to Denver, one of my "survival" techniques is to start drinking lots and lots of water a couple of days before, and keeping it up through the end of the first day there. You and I are both from humid climates, so the same idea may work well for you. My job is in Denver, so I have to go there fairly frequently, and if I *don't* do some serious hydrating before I leave, I'm usually the worse for it for the first several days I'm there. Headaches and general not-feeling-very-good-ness. The change in climate and altitude really makes a difference for me and being really well hydrated seems to help a *lot*.

Just a thought.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchup princess and I went on a plane twice last weekend, and she was absolutely fine. I used a Baby B'air to restrain her, and it worked wonderfully, and we brought a portable DVD player with Baby Bach and Baby Beethoven, books (okay, technically Baby Bug magazine, but she doesn't know the difference), and some toys, as well as a sippy cup of juice and some cookies to snack on. It was just fine, really. The Baby B'air was a much better choice than a car seat because, first of all, a rear-facing convertible seat would not have fit in Delta's coach section, secondly, it allowed her to feel much freer and less restrained while allowing me peace of mind, and thirdly, it was ever so much cheaper. It was a wonderful trip, really, and even the plane rides didn't spoil it. (Ketchup princess is 11 1/2 months old.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
What's with the discussion about having them drinking something while taking off and landing? (I have never flown with little kids) Is this for the benefit of the ears? (popping while changing elevations?) or what?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Swallowing helps clear the ears. And it's a nice distraction from any fears or discomfort the child may have on descent. I don't think during ascent it's nearly as necessary.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Zan, how long will you be gone for? Maybe I could lend you mine.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Oldest flew at 9 months and was fine. I think the boy was a bit older when he flew. I can't really remember, though. He was a little tougher because it was a red-eye on Jet Blue, and he wouldn't go to sleep because of the little TVs.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Joe, we'll be gone for a week. I appreciate the offer, but I don't think there's anyway I could get it anyway. We leave at 7 am tomorrow and I'm still at work trying to get things done.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.