FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Andre Norton dead at 93

Author Topic: Andre Norton dead at 93
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Science fiction author Andre Norton dies

Science fiction and fantasy author Andre Norton, who wrote the popular "Witch World" series, has died. She was 93.

Her death was announced by friend Jean Rabe, who said Norton died Thursday of congestive heart failure at her home in Murfreesboro, a Nashville suburb.

Norton requested before her death that she not have a funeral service, but instead asked to be cremated along with a copy of her first and last novels.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lord--I assumed that she'd been dead for years!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the exat opposite. I thought she was a younger person...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I never read anything she wrote....
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
And I've never heard of her.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Norton requested before her death that she not have a funeral service, but instead asked to be cremated along with a copy of her first and last novels.
That's pretty cool.
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in fifth grade, I burned through a lot of Norton's books in the school library. There were probably more books of hers on the shelf than any other sci-fi author (didn't know she was a "she" then.) I don't really remember them all that well, since I got frustrated with the fact taht so many of the books were part of a series and the library never had all the books in the series. It wasn't always easy to tell what order the books were in, either.

I guess if I'd bothered to think about it, I'd have known she was at least in her 70s, since I was reading her stuff about 40 years ago and she was an established author then.

Makes me want to go back and recheck some of the stuff that turned me onto this branch of literature, even if individual works didn't stick in my memory much.

[ March 17, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
This is very sad.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, the first time through I read that as you burned a lot of her books in the school library. My brain was whirling through all sorts of scenarios about your former life as a fundamentalist book-burner. [Eek!]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That really sucks...I loved her books, and have read most of them....and own all of the Witch WOrld ones.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Have never burned a book, even one written by a fundamentalist.

I did, however, burn my draft card. [Razz]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
The news really saddened me. The first book of hers I read was "Quag Keep" which was set in the World of Greyhawk (for all of you old school D and D'ers out there).

She's had a long, long career and was really the first female science fiction/fantasy author to really make it. She may not be terribly well-known, but she has her part in history -- one that she worked very hard at.

Last year, a friend of mine who sells used books, sold one of her books to ... Andre Norton herself. It was a mystery novel, one of a very small number she wrote, but that she no longer had in her own library. She (through her assistant) bought the book for her nurse who had never read any of Andre's works. The nurse didn't like fantasy or science fiction, so it took a while for them to find someone with one of Andre's old mysteries.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Her series on time agents is superb. She was a gem.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.