FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Writing Buddies

Author Topic: Writing Buddies
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been writing a short story for fun and I came across several books that OSC had written about how to write Sci-Fi and how to draw characters. Has anyone read these? Can you tell me if they opened up your writing, or if they pigeonholed you into a Card-esq writing style. I'd love to have all the help I can get with my writing but I'm afraid if I read those books I might just end up sounding like Card. Also, I'd love to hear what you Hatrackers are doing creatively, do you paint, write, dance, what? I'd love to have people to bounce ideas off of and would love to do the same for you.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Join one of the groups at the Writer's Group site within this site.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

I'm more interested inthe question about those two books.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read either. I do write though.....
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read them either, but I write frequently, and am in a Hatrack writing group.

I also play the saxaphone and write music.

[ March 17, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

This is awesome info, I used to play the drums but I gave it up when I went to college, the only creative pastime I've kept up doing is writing. but I guess we are all writers technically if we post here. Keep 'em commin.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read both of those and I don't think you would get pigeon-holed by reading them and taking their advice. They do give some excellent advice about writing, but what I like best about them is that he gives a lot of advice useful for coming up with ideas to write about, and he peppers his discussions of technique with names of authors and books that he admires. I discovered Octavia Butler through one of those two books, and read a few others he mentions as well.

In short, I'd recommend those books as good reads for anyone, writer or not, who loves language or reading, or simply wants an inside look at the craft of writing.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The books are pretty good. Like all advice about writing, remember that he's offering you tools to put in your toolkit-- don't expect for him to provide you a home already built.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
I skimmed How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy by Card a few months ago, and liked it. I especially liked the chapter where he discussed how writers' groups can help or hinder you, I found that very informative.

I plan to go back and read the whole book if I ever try to finish up one of my screenplays. Or if I start the novelization of Olivetta's Operetta. [Wink]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I play the bongos on the skulls of my vanquished enemies, forgot about the sub-theme.
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read at least one of his books on writing, and found it to be quite useful. And yes, I'm a writer. If you're interested in writing, though, I'd seriously consider joining the writer's workshops forums and/or joining other writers groups.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read either one of those (I think it sounds like I should check them out!), and I don't write that often, but I do on occasion. Mainly because it's fun.

I also sing. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.