FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Disgust (A Quiz)

Author Topic: Disgust (A Quiz)
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Admittedly, I've already posted this, but it was at the tail end of the Brain Sex Quiz, and I doubt that many people saw it.

The Disgust Quiz

I'm curious to hear how people ranked their responses in the toothbrush question. My continuum from most to least disgusting didn't match that of the general public.

[EDIT--Just assume that if you read below this point without having first taken the test, you may be influenced by what other people say. Someone complained about this in the last quiz I posted, so I thought I'd post a warning this time]

[EDIT the Second--Megan thinks it would be wise to point out that there is one picture in this quiz that is really freaking disgusting--disgusting enough that it made her feel physically ill.]

[ March 17, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
You know...at least one of those pictures actually made me physically sick.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
ew, the boss!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel right in with most of the predictions. One or two I ranked lower than they expected, and a couple I ranked higher. (Caterpillars are BUGS! I will not touch bugs!)

Very interesting. Part way through, with the blue towel, I commented to my mother that it's not as gross because we don't think of blue as dangerous. Presto. I always enjoy trying to figure out the premise of these psych questionnaires.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Megan, one of them was markedly more repulsive to me than all of the others combined.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Was anybody disgusted by the subway car full of people? That didn't squick me out in the least.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I piccked the postman.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Absolutely. This is where I need the vomiting smiley.

Maybe it should be obvious in something titled "Disgust Quiz," but I think you should include a warning that at least one of the photos is what I would call extremely graphically repulsive.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
There was only one I rated a 5. Someone on the train would have had to be using a hanky to bother me. Then again, they if they were using a hanky...

No one has ever gotten sick from a dirty ball? I guess they didn't hear about the kid with peanut allergy who was killed by peanut molecules from another players fingers.

Also, I have a chemical contamination thing so all the liquids bothered me.

[ March 17, 2005, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Noemon: [Kiss]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, I wasn't grossed out by any of the pictures of the guy. I also ranked lower on most of the gloopy stuff pictures than the predictions. But I ranked higher on some of the creepy crawlies than predicted. I think it may be because my mom's a nurse, my dad's a doctor, and I saw pictures of all kinds of gross wounds and stuff as a kid. However, I'm allergic to many insect bites.

The maggoty gums did almost make me throw up, though.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Warning posted.

Yeah Alt, I picked the mail carrier as the most disgusting also. In order from least to most disgusting, I rank them like this:

Partner
Friend
Sibling
Boss
Weather person
Mail carrier

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored right with the average results, except for the yellow slime dish. It looked so much like the soup I had for supper last night that it didn't disgust me at all.

Then I read that it was supposed to look like pus. Ooops.

The green one too -- on my computer it was almost neon, so it looked more like paint than snot. If had been a more "natural" looking color, I'd have been much more "disgusted."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The maggoty gums were by far the worst, but I ranked the horribly infected wound only slightly lower. The guy didn't really disgust me, but if I saw someone who looked like he did in the picture where he's wet and has a skin condition, I know that I'd give him a pretty wide berth.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked the weatherman/weather girl since I can't picture what they look like since I don't watch TV news much. I figured an unknown quantity was much more of a risk than a known one.

However, my postman is a hottie. [Big Grin]

That said, if I had to use anyone's toothbrush other than my own I'd just clean it really well with soap and water or alcohol (if available) so it would probably be cleaner than my own.

[ March 17, 2005, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Even your partner's? The prospect of doing that doesn't squick me out at all.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I was grossed out by the wasp. But the nasty sting that just sorta sucks for some people is actually dangerous to me.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Jake. This time I took the test instead of reading everyone's comments first.

I didn't find anything that squicked me out hardly at all! I don't think I ranked anything 4 or 5 - 3 was my lowest.

Perhaps a lot of this comes from my years working on the ambulance. Very little grosses me out. Especially not medical wounds - I find them fascinating. I ranked the guys face exactly the same (1) all three times - there was nothing disgusting about it. (and it doesn't mention if he SMELLS...) ha

I also picked postman - although it didn't really bother me to think of any of them. But then again, I know my postman pretty well - his wife and I are good friends...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm sure that working in a field like that would kind of inure you to the sort of things they had pictures of in this thread. I expect that being the parent of a baby would do so too, at least for the bodily fluid type pictures.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know how to answer on the wasp. Is freaked out the same as disgust?

The gums were absolutely repulsive, and I like to consider myself someone who is not easily grossed out. I didn't know they were maggots, though. After reading that at the end, I almost lost my lunch.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I didn't recognize them as maggots either. Slimy-but-somewhat-bud-like-looking-things-in-clusters tend to gross me out somehow, though, so really that image was practically tailor made to disgust me.
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your vivid descriptions. I know now that I don't want to follow that link....

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored lower on the disgust-o-meter than most of the predictions. But the maggot gums and infected wound I would have given a 10 if I could! *shudder* ugh
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
I won't look at that link because I am about to eat. On the other hand, I am on a diet...

My sister told me about the most disgusting medical condition imaginable. She knew a lady and her husband who had lots of health problems (and no reticence in sharing them [Angst] ). The lady's husband had gangrenous hemorroids.

Sorry, no pics. [Evil Laugh]

[ March 17, 2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Mormo ]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I went through that test while eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
With maggoty gums, no less.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who is horrified to know that maggots can grow inside the mouth of a living human being?

<insert this here>

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that grossed me out about the wasp is that it seemed to be on some kind of membranous nesty thing. But I still only scored it a 2, since I decided I was thinking too hard about it.

But you know, watching a doctor stitch through the nail on my baby's amputated finger was pretty lunch-churning. You may have noticed that I stopped posting for about five hours.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
That was disgusting.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The maggoty gums were by far the worst
Oh yes. I know I'm sick, which must have influenced my reaction, but I really felt my stomach being all weird by watching that one.

[ March 18, 2005, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Mothertree, what happened?
KarlEd
Member # 571

Seconds Noemon's question! [Eek!]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
The maggoty gums or the infected arms were the worst. The spotty faced guy didn't bother me much at all in any of his 3 incarnations. I chose the weatherman as having the worst toothbrush, then the postman, etc. (I just followed their continuum, basically).

[ March 18, 2005, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked boss. Why? Because I don't have one!
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wounds and body fluids disgust me. Insects? No problem. I love them. I rescued a wasp from my house the other day by allowing it to crawl on my arm. The intestinal worms were pretty icky. The empty train creeped me out more than the full one, for some inexplicable reason.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Maybe you felt like everyone else knew something you didn't, and that was why they were avoiding that car?

I was surprised that the caterpillars squicked me out a bit. Insects generally don't bug me at all. I think it must have had to do with the fact that in the picture there was a whole mass of them.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I get pretty squicked out by burns, wounds, and other stuff realted to wounds (even the slimes that looked like puss and ooze were pretty dang nasty).

quote:
I didn't know they were maggots, though. After reading that at the end, I almost lost my lunch.
I didn't know they were, either. I thought they were beans or something that looked slightly like worms. It's really gross now that I know what it is.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Iā€™m not very visually oriented, so none of the pictures really affected me all that much. In fact, when I read about people thinking one was significantly grosser than the rest I had to think about which one you might mean. (And I guessed wrong at first.) But then my brain started to work on it and I started to imagine it with all the other senses that are MUCH stronger for me than visual. Then knew exactly which one was the grossest, and I almost threw up.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm with you on that one dkw. Nothing in the quiz squicked me out nearly as much as mothertree's description of her kid's finger incident. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.