FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "The Office" Being Ported To NBC (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "The Office" Being Ported To NBC
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got done watching seasons 1 & 2 of The Office on DVD. It was both amusing and painful to watch, but all in all I liked it. I just saw an ad on Salon.com for an American version of the show, and I have to say I'm pretty skeptical. They're going to do one of two things--be slavishly faithful to the original, as the US version of Coupling was, somehow managing to drain the humor from the show even though the episodes are, shot for shot, identical to one another, or sit-com it up, pretty much automatically making it suck in a different way. I'm morbidly curious to see which way they go, and unless I forget will probably watch the first episode, but I'll be very, very surprised if it doesn't suck pretty badly.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I was skeptical as well, and had planned on not watching the first episode on the assumption it would suck.

Then I saw that Steve Carrel is in it, and I really like him, so I decided to give it a shot.

Last night I saw the commercials for it....they were less than funny. So I am once again not hopeful.

Sigh, at least there's still the british version to watch.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I like him too, but he has the unfortunate distinction of frequently being the only bright spot in otherwise forgettable shows. I expect him to be funny, but not funny enough to carry the show.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm skeptical, too, but it is set in Scranton, PA, so I have to watch at least the first episode. And "amusing and painful" is the best description of the original show.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen the original, but I just read an interview with on of the actors, who seemed from the descrption to be a main actor. (The interview was about his new children's book that's coming out soon.) Anyway, he said he has seen the first couple episodes of the American version, and he thinks they did a great job of capturing the same attitude. He also said that he wasn't involved with it at all, so hopefully that means he really means it and isn't just plugging it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
That's Ricky Gervais. He starred and co-wrote the series. I would like to believe he was being sincere, but I guess we'll see.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
In an unrelated note, I am looking forward to seeing Steve Carrell play Maxwell Smart in the Get Smart movie. I can definately see him in that role.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
That character is so about Ricky Gervais, I have a hard time seeing Steve Carrell pulling it off, as much as I love Carrell. I'd rather they found someone who could do Gervais's character, even if they lacked a recognizable face.

Daily Show alums have a serious problem getting good work in other places, partly because they succeed by cultivating insincerity. Did anyone see Stephen Colbert on Law & Order: Criminal Intent last year? He was awful — you couldn't believe a word he said.

Casting Steve Carrell in a faux documentary is a terrible idea — he can't pull off the naive, sincere vulnerability of David Brent. His persona is a lot more like the boss in Office Space — an unmitigated jerk.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
American sitcoms are generally very, very dependent on obviousness and consequently cater to the audience as much as possible. Just for example I was watching SNL this weekend and, in the "Weekend Update" segment Chris Parnell does a rap routine. As this episode was hosted by Ashton Kutcher, his girlfriend Demi Moore makes a special appearance. In any case, Parnell appears on "Weekend Update" and announces that he will rap a song he wrote for Demi, since he idolized her in the 80s like all other teenagers. As soon as he begins rapping it becomes apparent that, while he started to sing about Demi, he is really more obsessed with Asthon Kutcher. Haha. Quite an amusing bit--but here's how it relates to the obviousness of American sitcoms--just as he is singing, he interrupts the song and announces "Now, I'm a straight male, but..." okay, the clearly obvious "joke" has to be explained to the audience!

A few rare shows manage to shine despite this clear and utter disrespect for audience intelligence, but the brunt of American sitcoms will hit you over the head with their jokes. It is impossible not to get them.

BBC's "The Office," is the sort of show that doesn't play down to you. If you miss the joke the show will not pause for you to catch up. It completely goes against the typical comedic lineup of NBC.

Even if the American version is faithful to the original--judging from the spots I've seen on NBC --a reason it may fail is because the actors will not appear sincere. This new David Brent doesn't look like a real person you feel embarrassed for--he looks simply like a wild an unrealistic character. Again, judging solely from a few spots, it appeared that the new David Brent is pushing the role more towards the satirical than realistic. I know it's silly to judge all this simply from a few spots for it...but I don't honestly expect much, though I hope for the best.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a nit, but SNL is not a sitcom.

edit: But that doesn't really change or invalidate your post.

[ March 22, 2005, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Has the British series ended? Because if it hasn't, why does there need to be an American version? If Americans appreciate the British version and think it's funny (and painful), surely it would be cheaper to just show the same series in both countries?

If it has, and there's still a market, how come the show isn't merely continue from where it left off in England?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

My impression was that the British series was over, with just two seasons and a 2 hour special under its belt. I could be wrong though. I'd like to be.
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
The Office ran two short seasons (or series) in England, and then had a holiday special.

[ March 22, 2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, what do you expect? That American audiences actually endure a show with an entirely British cast? With British things being mentioned? Parish the thought!
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
My impression was that the British series was over, with just two seasons and a 2 hour special under its belt. I could be wrong though. I'd like to be.
The aim of most shows over here is to get at least a hundred episodes so that they can be syndicated. I remember reading in Newsweek a long time ago that that is where most of the profit lies for a network. "Seinfeld" has undoubtedly made more money being syndicated on many networks than it did when it aired on NBC. In the UK they don't quite work the same way and television shows have a much shorter life span.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, I guess on the upside of the british shows, you just get enough shows and they don't drag on past their sell-by date unless they're extremely popular or totally endless. More quality, less quantity? Or just less?

On the downside, it means less of a good thing.

One hundred shows is a lot! is that a law or something?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

Well most shows that last more than three years get around a hundred episodes. The tendency in our television is to either seemingly go on forever, or prematurely get cancelled. There isn't that much of an incentive to make mini-serieses and such, which is why they're so rare. Not enough profit in the long run. I think that "The Office" is all the more sweet for being short lived--imagine the jokes running on forever, like Niles' crush on Daphne in Frasier.

[ March 22, 2005, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: the_Somalian ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the British Sit Com--Coupling. It had the tightest storylines and scripts I've seen in a long while.

They ported it to NBC and it sunk.

People loved the Game Show "Weakest Link" in British version. The US Version could not live up to its hype.

Fox tried to do Dr. Who and it stunk.

However, since "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" made billions for a US company when it ported over, they will continue to try and try again.

Just thank God that they aren't trying it with Monty Python.

Could you imagine an American Version of Monty Python. Chevy Chase in the John Cleese parts. Sinbad doing the Terry Gillian bits. Ashton Kutcher as Micheal Palin and David Schwimmer doing the Terry Jones routines.

It is nauseatingly scarey.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I guess some things only work in Britland with British people.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky Gervais did a guest spot on Alias (and was brilliant, btw) last year and said that The Office was finished. He's writing and producing a new series and will be in Mission: Impossible 3, directed by Alias creator J.J. Abrams.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I expect that I'll feel the same way about the producers of this American version that I felt about David Brent. Shoot them and put them out of their misery.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Carrell is hilarious. I don't think it's fair to prejudge the show based on the fact that previous British to American do overs haven't done as well.

If he wasn't in it I probably wouldn't give it a second look, just doesn't look like my kind of show, but I loved him on The Daily Show, and I almost died laughing during some of his parts in Bruce Almighty. So I'll give it a chance.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm skeptical, too, but it is set in Scranton, PA, so I have to watch at least the first episode.
So?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
NPR pointed out that All In The Family and Sanford & Son were two shows also copied from the British. There is hope.

Consider this, American Idol, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Constantine (Comic is set originally in Britain--Movie is set in LA), Survivor, Who's Line Is It Anyway, the Host of home surprise makeover shows, and other lesser known shows from Robot Wars to Junkyard Wars to other have all originated in Britian.

Are the Brits the Blacks of the 21st Century? (as in, we are stealing their shows as we stole African American music and claimed it as our own Rock N Roll?)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Dan, we're Americans. This is what we do.

We see something someone else has "ooo look, pretty!" and then we take it and make it our own. "Pretty Thing Made in America!"

Then we pretend that ours is the best, and that no one else made it first, it was our idea all along.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Their website has video and other bits. You can judge for yourself.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Man, I thought I'd clicked on the dinosaur thread, so I was expecting this to be a pretty funny joke link of souped up T. Rexes and Raptors.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

It wasn't bad.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I'm watching it right now. I'm pretty underwhelmed.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I thought it was okay, but overall a little bit of a letdown
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Somalian, I wish I could take offense at what you posted, but I can't. :-\

Then again, if this is supposed to be "funny and painful" (as in, humiliating?) I won't be able to stand it. I hate that kind of comedy.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I thought the ads for it were funnier than the actual show.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

Icarus, I didn't intend to offend. Anyway, I pretty much agree with the critic who said that, even if the new "Office" is a pale imitation of the original, it's still better than shows like "My Wife & Kids" and "According To Jim" [Big Grin]
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor, poor ABC! [Frown]

[Big Grin]

(In case it wasn't clear, I was not offended. I agree with you.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Then again, if this is supposed to be "funny and painful" (as in, humiliating?) I won't be able to stand it. I hate that kind of comedy.
Icarus, me too.
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
You definitely won't like The Office then. If they stay true to the British version, and it seems they will since the first episode was almost an exact copy, then the humiliation will just get worse with every episode. As for the show, it was decent, but I'd rather just watch the dvds of the Brit version. It's much better. The British actors made those characters.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it tonight. Wasn't too impressed. There were good moments, but most of it was rather sleep-inspiring.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Here's another show that is set in Scranton, which is even more painful and humiliating, but not necessarily as funny.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Teshi, Icarus, I doubt you could stand this program (well, the British version anyway). It is incredibly funny, but there is a pathetic quality to almost every character that was hard to watch. There's just this well of despair and loneliness that underlies the entire show.

[Edited because I'm apparently finding spelling a bit of a challenge today.]

[ March 31, 2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd seen bits and snatches of the British version, but never sat down and really watched it. Earlier this week I watched the first episode of the American version. It was ok, but nothing that I thought particularly great. I then watched the British version (of that same first episode, and yes, right after watching the American one). I don't know quite how to describe it, but the British version seemed more real. The American version just seemed like a strange TV show. I think I'll probably stick to the British version.

[ March 31, 2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Yeah Teshi, Icarus, I doubt you could stand this program (well, the British version anyway). It is incredibly funny, but there is a pathetic quality to almost every character that was hard to watch. There's just this well of despair and loneliness that underlies the entire show.
I see this as tragedy, so essentially for me its like watching the saddest show in the world, written by the cruelest people. I have issues with Mr. Bean so you can see how pathetic I am. I cannot laugh at other people's distress.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I sometimes had a hard time watching Frasier for exactly this reason. I hate cringing for characters. For me The Office was worth it, and I'll probably be renting it again in the next month or two, but I definitely don't think that you'd enjoy it.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I dled the first episode of this show...
It seemed to, well... suck...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it again last night because nothing was on and the husband was gone late.

A little better than the first one, but sheesh, I hope they don't get another season of this.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

They probably will. Because there is no justice.

(See what I've become since I watched Firefly?!)

Dobbie
Member # 3881

That's it. I want to go to Scranton, just to see if it's as wonderful as it seems on TV.
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's so glamourous.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I rather like the show. I've not seen the original, so the problem may there lie. But its my kind of humor. Kind of.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jin977
Member # 8752

- posted      Profile for jin977   Email jin977         Edit/Delete Post 
The American version is a bit over-the-top, and does not come close, if you're comparing it to the BBC's The Office.

For instance, I forget the names of the characters who play the roles of Tim and Gerath in the US version, but (Tim) hides (Gerath's) entire desk setup in the bathroom. Then there's the big reveal, with (Gerath) answering his phone. I know the UK version had Tim doing something similar, but we didn't get the slapstick, "TA-DAH", here's-the-gag punchline that the US version did.

If you haven't seen the UK original, and started with the US series, I could see why it would be appealing. It is shot and presented like no other sitcom on the air, but that's about as far as it goes for me. Had it not been for the original, I wouldn't have tuned in again after the first few attempts.

But it's unfair to compare the BBC's version to the U.S., since I thought the original was brilliant!

David Brent (R. Gervais) was a little annoying at times, but that was a good thing. It wasn't because of the acting, but the fact that David Brent was a believeably annoying man you'd meet in a bar, or...the office.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the episode that was on last night. I found about 60 seconds funny . . . the first 60. The rest was just painful.

I kept hoping it would go somewhere funny again, but it never did.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.