FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For Those Who Need A "Mooselet's Health" Fix

Author Topic: For Those Who Need A "Mooselet's Health" Fix
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
"Because you ARE interested in my Son's Feet-- :-)" *

So*, we saw the orthopedist this week. I'll skip over the stuff about waiting for an hour and having to change Superstation's diaper on a cold linoleum floor because they don't have changing tables and all that.

Point #1: The feet. Mooselet's feet look great. The talus and calcaneus (or remus and romulus or something) bones are lined up as they should be in both feet. No more braces for Mooselet, even at night. Unless we untrained layparents notice something really wrong, we don't see the doc for another six months, when we'd like him to say "10 bucks for a co-pay, and I'll see you in another year."

But we don't really expect that, and not just because the co-pay is gone long before we see the doc.

Because there's point #2: The legs. The legs turn in a bit at the hip, and a bit more at the knee. Neither by itself would definitely necessitate correction, but together they may be a problem. The legs just don't set quite right. They pivot a little unevenly -- about 30 degrees out and 50 degrees in, as I recall (or I guess it's 50 out and 30 in -- not sure how they define which is which, since he was on his tummy when they did it). Anyway, uneven.

Now this can be dealt with at a later time, since at this point, according to the doc, it's kinda more aesthetic than functional. It wasn't clear to us whether it would remain that way, or if later in life when he might, say, want to play sports or something, it could be a problem. It kinda looks like it could be. But as long as it's before he starts school, we're probably ok.

The reason for before school -- wheelchair. I thought he called the surgery a "tibial osteotomy," but when we looked that up it didn't sound like what he described. But the phrase also sounds like just about anything that involves cutting the tibia. Anyway, the theory is basically that he would cut through the tibia, twist the bottom part, then reconnect the bone. Mooselet would be in a wheelchair for about a month, then in casts for another 4-6 weeks afterward (though he has proven in the past that walking with casts on both legs is really not a problem).

So yeah, there's a little fear and concern mingled in with our happiness about his feet, but such things have become par for our course it seems. Right now, we're focusing on the good -- his feet.

--Pop

*Appropriate credit for phrases where due

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the fix. And hurray for no more braces.

You should get Superstation a wheelchair too and they could have races.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the update. It's [Cool] that he doesn't have to wear the braces anymore.

[ March 23, 2005, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really happy for you all, and especially Mooselet re: the braces. I have to ask, does the doc hold out the hope that this next procedure (1 month + 6-8 weeks) will be "it" for Mooselet? If so, it's not bad at all. Mooselet has gone through a lot more time and trouble than that and he's come through it as about the best kid in the Universe as far as I could tell.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for feet! [Smile]

The surgery sounds kinda scary, but at least the recovery doesn't sound much worse than a regular broken bone.

I have a kid-sized walker, and it's yours if/when you want/need it.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, good for him. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That is great news.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh, Mooselet health fix.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Mooselet is amazingly fast and agile even with the braces. I can't imagine what he'll be like without them. Dad, have you invested in a good pair of running shoes?

As long as we're on health, has he had anymore UTI problems or is this on the happy shelf of history too?

Please give hugs to Carl and TBS for me.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My right leg turns out about 30 degrees, Papa. It's not too inconvenient, but I've found over the course of my life that there are two big downsides:

1) Uneven wear on shoes. This is more annoying than it sounds, especially if you buy cheap shoes. If only one half of your heel wears down, it's like standing on a ramp.

2) Increased injuries. I've sprained, twisted, and broken my right ankle several times.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.