FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Petroleum industrial accident

Author Topic: Petroleum industrial accident
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this morning the terrible accident in the BP plant in USA. I heard about around 40 victims and lot of disparitions.
I would present my sadness to victims families by this thread. I hope their souls were saved.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was in Houston, Texas. (edit: okay, technically Texas City outside of Houston, but most people have not heard of that town)

It is very sad that people were killed and injured.

Also, this will affect the prices we pay for gasoline, because a lot of refining went on in that plant, and it will be shut down for awhile.

Farmgirl

[ March 24, 2005, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
14 dead, one injured. Wow.

I swear I'm going to be terrified when I finally get my professional engineer's certification and have to officially sign off on something, because if I design something wrong and it breaks, things like this happen.

[Angst]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I drove by that town all the time during my last four years of school. It looked so scary, I used to shudder and practically hold my breath while driving by. I used to hear scary stories about that town and the plants there but I don't know if they were real or rumors.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those who died were contractors for J.E. Merit Constructors Inc., a field services provider and subsidiary of Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. in Pasadena, Calif., Parus said. Merit's Houston office referred calls to Jacobs, whose phone lines were busy or not answered early Thursday.
Since those killed were contractors, does that maybe mean they were doing some type of construction in this building? Or does that just mean they were general workers, but working under contract instead of regular employment?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Since those killed were contractors, does that maybe mean they were doing some type of construction in this building? Or does that just mean they were general workers, but working under contract instead of regular employment?
There are many different kinds of contractors working in chemical plants -- construction, waste disposal, cleanup... but no, they wouldn't be regular workers.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize it was near Houston, I have family in Kingwood (technically part of Houston, but in reality it's on the outskirts). I hope there are no ill effects for those around the explosion, and I hope the families of those affected by it are doing alright (Well, relatively alright).
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr, I went to high school in Kingwood, and some friends including the Jensens still live there. What's the name of your family?
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Twinky, to correct the number of deads. I misunderstand when i heard that at the radio. You know, i am Engineer too. And i am touched by your fear. I just want to say you something. During my Engineer studies, a professionnal of risk went in my school. And he said about big catastrophes that 90% are due to a financial reduction, or a decreasing of budget, or somebody who wanted to make savings.

So try to be your best and all will become well.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Thank you, Choobak. I appreciate that. [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The Daleidens. My aunt actually teaches at Kingwood high, the smaller high school that houses the ninth graders, and two of my cousins still go there. If you already graduated, I guess you might still know Anne Daleiden, she's the oldest.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.