FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Well Done!" thread (a game) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The "Well Done!" thread (a game)
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it, Megan, when you know how to choose the right words for the right compliment, in perfect harmony with practical lack of verboseness. Also, I like the way your pseudonym metonymises the Renault Megane, as a sort of unintentional propaganda in favour of an underrated French brand.

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I am awed by your supreme self-effacement. Ignore those who churlishly say that it is a symptom of arrogance to use your own prose as the standard of judgment, because the fact that you couldn't have said it better yourself suggests that you are the record-holder to be beaten. No, I say! It is purest modesty, and you have it, in all its purity.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate that you seem to understand that true modesty is acknowledging that you are good, then deferring to others.

[ April 03, 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, I admire how you phrased your grasp of the concept of true modesty--succint, and yet profound.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that this thread is still around makes me smile. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
I am amazed at your ability to combine text and graphics perfecly an order to show everyone the greatness of the thread.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I'm impressed with your creative respelling of the word "perfectly." I'd consider adopting it for full-time use, but I wouldn't want to mar the unique presentation of the spelling as it appears in thisi thread.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it's great that you brought humor into the thread by good-naturedly mocking cel for bad spelling, and then proceeding to talk about "thisi thread" so that he will know that it's all in fun.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan, I love the way your tongue-in-cheek post playfully shows thisi newbie what spelling nazis we are here, and also how you kindly "forgot" to correct your own typo, allowing chel to laugh behind his or her hand.

edit: Great minds, etc. I should reload more often.

[ April 04, 2005, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, I always love to see when one can admit their mistakes, as you did in your previous post. Also, I would like to compliment you on your great mind, as you provided me with much needed advice several days ago.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
Kaioshin00: That was a very beautifully worded compliment.

Morbo and Anticool: I am a girl for future reference.

Edit: By the way: Thanks for your subtle defence of the newbie(I really am a bad spaeller so forgiv me in the futrue) and Megan, thank you for making your own spelling error and making me feel better. [Smile]

[ April 04, 2005, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: chel ]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Chel, your succinctness is exceeded only by your perspicacity.
And good to know. [Smile]
Kaioshin, what advice? Glad to help, but I cannot recall. [Dont Know]

edit:oh, yeah...

[ April 04, 2005, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, you're so cute when you shrug like that. [Kiss]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really am a bad spaeller so forgiv me in the futrue
This sentence made me literally laugh out loud, and not in a mean way.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Mr. Morbo: You gave me advice in the "elf thread." Ferrous wheels and such, if that rings any bells.

Anticool, knowing that I made someone else sincerely laugh is a feeling I always enjoy. I hope its safe to assume that Chel feels the same away about your post.

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
I cant take it anymore!!!! Too...much..niceness... must...kill...
You all SUCK!!!!! And... your moms are all ugly!

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Foundling, you made a really good critique of this thread. You rightly pointed out a lack of sincerity in the nice things being said. We all should work on that more.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ashley, you managed to find something nice in foundling's post which made me laugh out loud. Way to go! [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Aw, golly, Narnia, I'll never be as nice as you. All I can do is make funny comments and hope for the best.

[ April 04, 2005, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew this would happen, yet i started the thread anyway...
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
for a newbie, you are getting into the Hatrack community quite well.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
How friendly of you to make the newbie feel welcome. It can be awkward coming into a new community, and it's nice to let the newbies know they're appreciated. [Smile]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

It's people like you, Verily, who do the most good works on hatrack by encouraging pro-newbie behavior.

[ April 04, 2005, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
It's wonderful that you use such an inclusive compliment.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I want to congratulate you all for having constructed the nicest thread ever to exist anywhere on the net. I say that, not in a boastful way, but out of gratitude, for I did not know such a thread as this could exist.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
A wonderful encouragement!
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

That was such a nice thing to say, I wish I had thought to praise this whole thread before. You have a way of making people feel like they've really accomplished something.
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
You have a way that make people believe they have actually deserved your praise (not ironic at all).
I wish I could do that.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You're so sweet, the way you underestimate yourself.

I love you all. (((hugs Hatrack)))

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, your hugs are NICE!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You saying my hugs are nice makes me feel nice. And Hatrack is very huggable.
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so great of you to consider Hatrack as a huggable entity -- it shows how attached you are!

[ April 04, 2005, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: HRE ]

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
HRE, it is so great to know that one like you can think of the thought of a huggable community as something praiseable.

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I can't tell if that's sincere praise or sarcasm, so [Hat] Jonathon.

Is it just me or is it easier to think up fake reasons to be offended than real reasons to praise? [Frown]
I have got to cut back on the talk radio...

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Its wonderful that you listen to talk radio. Only a truly intelligent person would understand why the time must be taken to listen to mindless talk show hosts babble on and on about nothing in particular.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Morbo, I appreciate your recogition of the difficulties of complimenting someone for a simple post and the distress you feel that it is, in fact, easier to insult someone. This, to me, says you're a really nice guy at heart. [Smile]

Steve, I admire your speed of posting, despite the current difficulties it's causing me!

[ April 04, 2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Megan, you are so generous to admire even that which causes you difficulty.

And I love the way you pronounce your name. [Kiss]

Morbo
Member # 5309

Thanks for proving my point, Steve. [Roll Eyes]
Now I don't feel so alone...

That makes me feel better, Megan. And I like your double response format so much I emulated it.

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, I adore the way you respond to multiple people at once, almost as if we were all sitting in a real living room, me perched demurely on the ottoman, instead of being stuck at work and understimulated.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Ketchupmilady, another post in which I can't tell if it's real or ironic... a writer once said irony is a disease, once you catch it you can;t shake it. I should chill with some Amish or something.

Susie, very cool, thank you. [Cool] [Smile] But the Algonquin Roundtable this ain't.

edit: I was going to say that I like that you started your post "Morbo, I adore the way you...: and other newbies would start off well that way...until I realized who you were, oh, Susie-Q.
But hey, oldtimers can start posts that way too. [Smile]

[ April 04, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I admire that your choice of seating would be the ottoman. That's very brave and kind of you.

And Morbo, I admire that you can see more in my words than is there; you must have very good vision. [Wink]

[ April 04, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you thought I would sit on the ottoman as a deferment to the comfort of others. It was mostly just to display my figure to best advantage.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Susie, unless you're an oldbie in disguise, I admire the way you've leapt into game threads right from the start!

And, if you're an oldbie in disguise, then kudos to you for being uber-sneaky! [Smile]

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

Thanks for thinking it was sneaky. I thought it was rather obvious; but then, I read my own profile.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Megan, I like the way you covered your bases there--very prudent.

Susie, after the guess the author V thread, I expect sneakiness from you.

mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
How nice that you appreciate prudence!
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing I respect more than appreciation, myself.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

About that hug - I felt it last night, that's how good you are at hugging a whole community!

And when you said that about hugging Hatrack, I flashed on a memory of Fred Astaire hugging a hatrack as he danced with it, and it made ME want to dance - that's how evocative your poetic writing was for me.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Great flashback OSC - brings the image right to my mind. (Advantage of being an accomplished author)
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.