FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone interested in a computer?

Author Topic: Anyone interested in a computer?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Or most of one, anyway.

I just upgraded my old computer, so now I've got a bunch of parts left over that I really have no use for. Here's what I've got:

• ATX mid-tower case: 300W power supply, 4 5.25" bays, 4 3.5" bays (2 internal, 2 external)
  • Epox 8KTA3+Pro motherboard: AMD Athlon & Duron support, VIA KT133A, 1 AGP, 5 PCI, 1 ISA
  • AMD Athlon 900 MHz processor with fan (though you might want a new one—it's starting to sound bad)
  • 768 MB PC-133 RAM (3 x 256 MB)
  • 15 GB hard drive (generic brand—don't know RPMs)
  • 3.5" floppy drive
  • 56K modem
  • 2 NICs
  • 1 case fan
It needs a graphics card and a CD-ROM drive (and keyboard and monitor and all that stuff) in order to be a usable computer, though I'll probably replace my monitor fairly soon, too, so it could be included.
I'm not sure how much it's all worth. Make me an offer and I'll decide if it sounds reasonable. Anyone interested?

[ March 28, 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Not worth much to be honest. I take pieces though and make systems that I’ll give to college or high school kids that don’t have one. If you don’t sell it and want me to do this with yours drop me a line.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect computer for the average home user who just wants to 'surf the net and do e-mail. You might clean it up and advertise it as such for a reasonable price.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Egad, Jon Boy. You have excellent tastes in mobos. [Smile] My spare PC -- the one I nearly gave away to another Hatracker -- is also an AMD 900 T-Bird on a 8KTA3+. And 800 MB of memory. *grin*

But lest someone think this system is a clunker, let me point out that, with a Radeon 8500 AIW, it was successfully able to run Half Life 2 at 800x600 with good frame rates and decent detail.

So don't look askance at Jon Boy's old system, people! [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Will it run World of Warcraft well with a good video card?

I'm tempted... how much are you willing to sell it for?

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, with the RAM it's worth about $200-$250. (Just the ram will sell for about $20 for 128 megs, depending on where you sell it.)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tom: Spooky. o_O

unicornwhisperer:

World of Warcraft requirements:

Processor: 800MHz or higher CPU.
RAM: 256Mb or more.
Video: GeForce 2 or better
Hard Drive Space: 3Gb or more available.
DirectX 9.0 or above.

I had a GeForce 4 MX440 card in it (which is now in my new computer), and it ran games like Far Cry pretty well (not the maximum detail levels, but still respectable). The card only cost me forty bucks, so the same card should be even cheaper now. So yeah, it could definitely run World of Warcraft.

I think Boris's price estimate is probably pretty good. From what I've seen, I could probably get about ninety bucks just for the RAM on eBay.

[ March 28, 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*bump*
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, if no one wants all the parts I may take the processor (possibly another part or two) off your hands.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
JB, I couldn't pay you money but I'm interested in it. I would come down and take the whole thing off of your hands if you wanted.

[ March 29, 2005, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the max processor the mobo can take? I'm considering making an offer, as I could use a linux/windows dev box.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tick: I'll keep that in mind. Frankly, I thought no one would be interested in a computer that needs a graphics card, CD-ROM drive, and possibly a new CPU fan, so I was surprised that a couple of people have already expressed some interest.

Porter: I'd like to get at least a little money out of it to help recoup the costs of the upgrades.

fugu: Not sure, but I think maybe 1.4 MHz or so. I'll check the documentation when I get home.

Edit: If I understand this correctly, it can handle an Athlon XP 2400+ 266 MHz FSB if you update the BIOS.

[ March 29, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

I completely understand. If you even sell just part of it, I might be interested in the rest.

<-- likes having lots of computer parts

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Sure thing. If I can't sell the whole thing (and if I decide not to keep anything for myself—I might keep the hard drive for a backup), you can have dibs on what's left.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

[Cool]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you ship to Israel?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh. You have floppy 3.5?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'll ship to anywhere in the world as long as you pay for the shipping.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also selling a pad of paper and a pencil to anyone who wants to go really oldschool.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Sweet. What games will it run?
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard tic-tac-toe runs like a dream on it.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
HI,

This post got me thinking about a post I started asking for video card advice. In the course of the thread, I mentioned:
quote:
EDIT II: My mother board is as follows...
Board: ECS P4S5A 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

And Boris said:
quote:

(BTW, when I say bottleneck at your RAM, I mean the Bus speed. 100MHZ is a REALLY slow Bus speed.)

SO I am thinking of buying a motherboard...or new computer to combine the two. I was surprised my motherboard is not that good--considering it is a 2G processor.

My quesiton is how do you compare motherboards? What should you look at to make sure it can handle a good processor, Ram, Video Card, and Sound Card?

I see a motherboard on overstock.com with " Front side bus supported : 400/533 MHz." for $50.

Are there any good motherboard learning resources out there?

[ March 29, 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard tic-tac-toe runs like a dream on it
[ROFL]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the new motherboard you're planning to buy is the same speed as the old one.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

To clarify, Pentium four motherboards quad pump their fsb. So when it say 100 MHz it's really 100 MHz x4. You really wouldn't get any benefit from the borad you want to buy.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I was under the impression that even though it's still running at 100/133 MHz, it's pumping through four times as much data, which is why they say it's 400/533 MHz.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. That motherboard can handle 400Mhz RAM, which is the important thing. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*bump*

Anyone still interested? How about $200 or best offer? If no one wants it (of if the offers aren't good enough), I'll start selling the parts on eBay this weekend.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.