FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » She's like a little robot...

Author Topic: She's like a little robot...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
...only cuter.

If you say "yaaay!" anywhere in Sophie's earshot, she'll look for you, grin hugely, and start clapping -- every now and then looking at you with grave concern, as if she's not clapping in the proper way. She is as regular and dependable in this regard as a Swiss brass monkey might reasonably be expected to be, if the Swiss were to make brass monkeys.

She will also open tupperware to see what's inside, but then -- I think out of a sense of completeness -- replace the lid with stern determination, clearly aware that extracting whatever is inside is not nearly as important as returning the tupperware to its pristine, sealed state. She does not, however, burp it first.

She does not crawl. She does, however, do this bizarre sort of butt-scooting, corkscrewing motion that eventually gets her where she wants to go, albeit considerably more slowly and with significant effort. I theorize that she does this for artistic reasons.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

That's so sweet!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Both ElJay and I did the butt-scooting rather than crawling. We got quite fast at it.

It is a mark of superior intelligence.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former butt scooter, I'm going to have to agree. I did both, though, depending on my mood.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
What Dana neglects to mention is that they really only stopped a couple of years ago.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

They stopped? That's not what I was told.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized that I have no clue how I got around as a child. For some reason (Probably the same reason we have no more than 10 pictures of me between ages 6 and 21), my mother has chosen not to tell me what I was like as a baby.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Boris was force-grown! Boris was force-grown!
nyah...nyah...nyah...nyah,nyah,nyahhhhhhh.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I skipped the crawling stage and went from sitting to standing to using furniture as a zimmer frame to move around.

Ah, the many inventive methods of the child.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

My little brother used to do a kind of commando crawl - flat on his stomach, pulling himself across the floor by his elbows.

He got amazingly fast - especially on the polished wood floors.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Boris was force-grown! Boris was force-grown!
nyah...nyah...nyah...nyah,nyah,nyahhhhhhh.

You all wish you could be me, though... [Razz]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* Sophie sounds like a peach, Tom. [Cool]

Hmm. I can remember not knowing how to stand upright, but I don't have any memory of actually learning how to. Weird.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
My nephew was a roller - he would orient himself correctly, and then roll to the target. He was much faster at that than he ever was at crawling.

And Tom, the look of determination is so cute on kids that age. Whatever they are doing is clearly the most important thing in the whole world ever.

Unless someone says, "Yaaay!"

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sophie sounds like a peach, Tom."

You get weird fruit out there, eh? Mine's never tried to open tupperware, thank God. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever Ryan sees a gator, he raises both hands over his head. I'm not sure where he picked that up.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sophie sounds like a peach, Tom."

[Insert appropriate baby-eating joke here]

I'm sorry, I don't have the strength to do this this morning.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whenever Ryan sees a gator,...
Um...I believe the proper response to teach him is to RUN LIKE HECK!!!!

[ March 30, 2005, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Those UF fans are crazy.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Bob, didn't you know that if you freeze, you're OK. Gators are attracted to movement.

Besides, ff he learned to do the chop whenever he saw a Native American he would be deemed politically incorrect. I think this is for the best.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]

I stand (motionless) corrected!

Noemon
Member # 1115

Zotto, that's really interesting. I have memories from that time period too, but I don't have any that really focus on it. I do have memories that focus on crawling and scooting. I thought that scooting was a better way to get around, generally.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the butt-scooting thing, and my sister did the commando-crawl. She eventually moved up to regular crawling, but I didn't learn to crawl until after I'd already learned to walk.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, but Sophie is an apricot!

Don't you remember?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I stand (motionless) corrected!"

Unfortunately, Bob, that only works for gators. The crocs love their food standing still.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

That's because crocs are fat, slow and stupid. Gators are a much more deadly adversary.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love when babies learn tricks! They're so much fun to show all your friends [Smile]

And thanks for beating me to the link, Rivka. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're welcome.

Only next time, could you name your thread something with "art" in it? Would've been much easier to search for. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here to challenge and hone your search skills, Rivka. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I both did the butt-scoot before we learned to crawl. One of my friends, however, when learning to walk, would crawl to the middle of the floor (where there was no furniture) THEN try to pick herself up and walk.

This actually explains a lot about her.

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
superior intelligence.
Hatrack genes...
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert was a butt-scooter. We have it on video. [Big Grin]

She sounds really cute. [Smile]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, we've got all sorts of weird food here. Had some tomatoes that went bad one time...STOLE my CAR. O_O

*ba-dum-bum-pssh*

Oh and riv...that was a distuuuuurbing link. *laugh*

Noeman: Isn't that weird? It's like that for me for a lot of things. I remember NOT knowing how to do something, but I never quite recall the moment when I actually learned it. I have vivid memories of trying to decipher how to spell words, but no recollection of when I actually learned to. Strange.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Oh and riv...that was a distuuuuurbing link. *laugh*
Don't look at me! Blame Annie. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.