FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blech - my credit card was stolen, which lends an interesting twist to this weekend

Author Topic: Blech - my credit card was stolen, which lends an interesting twist to this weekend
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone got my credit card on Monday, and I'm on the phone with the bank getting it cleared up. I'm not responsible for the charges, but they have to close my account.

That's bad.

I do have another credit card that I've had for ages, but unfortunately, I was very clever and hid it from myself so I'm not tempted to use it. I did a very, very good job. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

The hotel is reserved under that card - will it still work? Do I need to find the other one? Hmm...

I think it's a conspiracy of the traveling gods. Ever since the airlines came up with that "be there 30 minutes ahead of time if you want to check baggage" rule, traveling has become sadly uneventful. Obviously, the universe is trying to get back in balance.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.

Good luck - ignore the omens of impending doom.

Or at least omens of impending stories told to the amusement of others. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: For incomplete thoughts.

[ March 30, 2005, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
eek!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest calling the hotel just in case, you don't want to show up and not have a room because they decided to run a verification check on the card and saw it reported as stolen.

Other than that, you should be fine - usually at checkin they'll ask you if you want to keep it on the same card or change it, and you can switch it over then.

I'm sorry that happened. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Currently, I don't have another credit card. I have another credit account, but I hid the card. Maybe it's in my filing cabinet?

[ March 30, 2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I have washed (and Dried) my debit card and the only credit card I use (once each) and they still worked. But I only found them just before I had them cancelled as being stolen.

Because I'm a doofus.

But some credit card companies can rush you a replacement card. Ron had his overnighted to him once. Perhaps if you talk to credit card company#2, they can help you.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Olivetta said - I've been overnighted a new credit card.

Why do these things always happen at the worst possible time?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, just pay for the hotel in cash. Don't assume they take checks, though- that can backfire (few hotels- especially limited service hotels accept checks). You don't need the credit card. Just have the cash ready when you check in. You'll be required to pay the full amount in cash up front and might have to add another 10% for incidentals. Remember to calculate tax in with the total amount since most municipalities charge a bed tax above and beyond the total state tax.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
kat they probably won't care as long as they get paid... I'll cover it [Wink]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

For a variety of reasons, I prefer not to use cash.

AJ, is that okay? I certainly have enough to cover food and things, but not this. You're a doll.

I'm still going to try to get a card over-nighted, just in case. It makes me nervous to travel without a way of blowing my budget in case of an emergency.

[ March 30, 2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm on the phone with the bank getting it cleared up.
Your bank should be able to advise you on how to handle the hotel situation as well.

Like you said - they should be able to send you a replacement card pronto.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

(Kudos to AJ. [Smile] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah at the time when you made the reservation I was swamped with puppies, which was why I told you to make it in the first place...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

*pictures Banna at the bottom of the puppy pile*
BannaOj
Member # 3206

lol, wait till you see them in person... will be even easier to visualize [Wink] When you see 10 little heads all look up at you at once, and ten little beady eyes staring at you and then 10 puppy mouths barking...
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

[Eek!]

Now I'm picture a canine version of The Birds.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
If your card is a visa, call 1-800-VISA-911. They may be able to arrange an emergency replacement card (usually w/i 24 hours, if you are traveling).
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

They're cuter and less dangerous than The Birds, but yes...

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Do all of the puppies have one eye, or do half of them have two and half not have any?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna ask that.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
So was I!

But I won't complain about my line being taken, cuz I figger the bride is entitled. (That counts as my wedding present, right? [Wink] )

[ March 30, 2005, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.