FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you fix a computer cooling fan?

Author Topic: How do you fix a computer cooling fan?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Since I put together my new computer, the fan on my graphics card has been making a lot more noise. I don't know what I did to it, but it's driving me nuts. I tried taking the fan off and cleaning off all the dust, but that had no noticeable effect either way. Is there anything I can do to make it nice and quiet again?

[ March 30, 2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Replace the fan. That's about the only thing you can do. What kind of card do you have?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe lubricating the fan with so WD-40?

That's a shot in the dark, and will probably melt your card...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It's an Nvidia GeForce4 MX440.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The fan is probably imbalanced. You aren't really equipped to fix it and a replacement fan will be super cheap. So, just do the easy thing.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestion is to live with it until you make another big computer purchase. Then just buy the fan along with the new part and have them shipped together. Brick and mortar shops mark up fans like that a TON to make a quick buck, so stick to the internet shops when purchasing something tiny like that.

[ March 30, 2005, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yeah, I was thinking about not worrying about it until I just buy a new graphics card, but I don't know when that'll be. At the moment it doesn't sound very bad, so hopefully it'll stay that way.

[ March 30, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be when your video card has fried cuz your fan went out.

[ March 30, 2005, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know how well this will work for you...I think it just sticks on to the GPU with thermal adhesive...Shouldn't be too hard to install. But then, I don't exactly know how big/effective your current fan is. Of course, this one has a cool little blue LED to make it glow (Ooooh, pretty)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I think that one probably wouldn't fit. My computer is a small form factor, so there's very little room between the GPU fan and the side of the case. I think this one should fit just fine, though. The current fan is fairly small—not much bigger than a typical northbridge fan. It's about 15mm high and 50mm across.

[ March 30, 2005, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.