FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Paypal safe?

Author Topic: Is Paypal safe?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about opening an account there. Has anybody had any good or bad experiences with it?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a Paypal account for several years, no problems.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used paypal many times and I've always had a good experience.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Only one problem in years - cancelled a transaction and it was very difficult to get Paypal to return the money they had already taken out of my account.

The reporting system wouldn't allow me to report it because it said the transaction was still pending.

It was frustrating for a bit, but got straightened out. And, I don't think it's any less frustrating that dealing with the bank or anything else. Trying to get refunds is always a hassle, no matter what.

On the flip side I've had well over 100 Ebay transactions as both a buyer and a seller, all through PayPal, and this was the only hiccup.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
ish
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Never have had any trouble with my PayPal account. I'm glad I have it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Add me to the happy list. It comes in real handy with transferring money to my out of state bank account.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I have also been very happy with my Paypal account.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Dittos. Happy happy joy joy
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Had mine for years and never had a problem. For two years my tenants used to pay their rent through paypal. That was a win-win situation, let me tell you.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
And the best part is when you sign up, they actually deposit 50 cents into your account! [Razz]
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Had mine for years with no problems and I've never heard of anyone else having problems, either.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had an account for several years and have never had any problems.

just remember when someone sends you an e-mail saying that you are paypal and that you need to click a link and enter in your account/password info that it is a scam. Paypal doesn't send out e-mails like that.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard of some recent problems, but they were resolved fairly quickly as well. I have a paypal account, and I like it a lot. I haven't had it long, but I did have a refund due to an item broken in the mail, and the refund posted in 5 days...same as most banks.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with paypal, I've had an account there for two years, and I buy off ebay all the time.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just remember when someone sends you an e-mail saying that you are paypal and that you need to click a link and enter in your account/password info that it is a scam. Paypal doesn't send out e-mails like that.
Yeah, I was going to mention that. Glad you did. [Smile]

When Paypal sends you a message about your account, it specifically does not include links, Instead, it instructs you to open paypal in a separate window and log in.

I like that. [Smile]

[ March 31, 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
And Paypal always has your name in the text of the message. Not your email or screen name, but your legal name that's on your account. So it's very easy to know when you're in the midst of an attempted scam or phishing expedition.

I also like that it's easy to report those scams. Just forward them to spoof@paypal.com (ditto for spoof@ebay.com... I get them for both).

Add me to the list of very satisfied Paypal/ebay users for >4 years.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Then Fahim and I are the lone dissenters.

Fahim had an account for years, opened it up while he was in the US. Moved back to Sri Lanka, kept using the account. Sri Lanka's on the blacklist as far as PayPal is concerned, along with a whole lot of other countries.

PayPal clued into the fact that we were not in an approved area and shut down the account. It took well over 9 months to get the money from them - several hundred dollars - after they took nearly a hundred dollars in service charges for the inconvenience we caused them by having to have them shut down the account.

Whatever.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd advise against moving to Nigeria if you want to keep your paypal account as well...my guess is that they are blacklisted as well.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Quid, perhaps the lesson here is that Sri Lanka doesn't deserve Paypal? [Wink] j/k
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.