FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Random Thoughts That Aren't Important Enough to Make a New Topic About (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Random Thoughts That Aren't Important Enough to Make a New Topic About
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in love with a drink and I'm not even 21.

Tonight, in an effort to try something besides root beer or sarsparilla, I got a 4-pack of Reed's Spiced Apple Cider. I ususally don't care for the taste of apple cider, but I just had to try this stuff. It was in the health food section, and nothing there tastes like what you think it tastes like.

Oh, hummina, hummina, hummina. If drinks could reproduce with humans, I would make sweet, sweet love to this heavenly liquid until everybody had a bottle in their hands.

---

The new Weezer song is kickin'. Better than anything I've heard off of Maladroit and much better than most of the stuff off their green album. Everybody I've talked to has only dissed it, though, and I don't think it deserves that.

---

I read As a Man Thinketh this morning. That was cool. It's been a few years since I read that last.

---

A brother in my church gave me a babybluish mint green suit. It's the tightest thing on the face of the earth. I like to think of it as my way of bringing back the 70's, but only in hopes that a 60's or 80's comeback won't be far off. Or as "anti-emo" because I wear it with a pink tie n'stuff so it's happy happy happy happy happy!

---

New Gorillaz out, according to iTunes. Sweet.

---

Wow, it's 11:30 and I still haven't eaten dinner. In fact, I had gone to the store to get something to drink with dinner. I got the drink, but some how managed to not even open the fridge door. I think I'll do that now.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that taste like that apple pucker stuff?

And yeah, the new Weezer song is really good.

Other than that, really can't comment on the rest. [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Apple pucker stuff? I don't know what that is, but it is very gingery. I thought the ginger was overpowering at first, but the more of it I downed, the more I could taste the apple. It's SOOO good.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate trying to come up with names for characters. It's like pulling teeth. Which ones will fit? What difference will it make? Maybe none, but still.

-------------

The deep fried battered cauliflower we had for lunch was seriously good. I'm glad we had that. Yumm! But probably better with another kind of sauce. I'll have to hunt through the cupboards to see what we have to go with it.

-------------

Passing gas audibly with people in the house other than Fahim is probably not a good idea. [Eek!]

-------------

I hate periods. Hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
It's like pulling teeth. Which ones will fit?
Then isn't it more like putting teeth in, a tooth at a time?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
apple pucker, watermelon pucker...basically alcholic liquid jolly ranchers.

Very sour.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
New Gorillaz stuff is out? Seriously?

quote:
I hate periods.
The punctuation kind, the temporal kind, or the . . . um . . . other kind?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Lyrhawn - I can't compare it then, really. This drink has no alcohol in it, so it tastes quite a bit different, I'm sure.

Verily - It's on iTunes, anyway, under there pre-release section. It's called "Feel Good Inc". I wish I could listen to more than thirty seconds of it.

[ April 01, 2005, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I've had apple pucker, but I'm fairly sure apple cider tastes nothing like it. Especially a cider that came from the health food section.

Is the cider organic? I bought some organic Caesar's dressing that tastes awful, but really enjoy this organic tofu chili I found. The strange thing is I never thought I'd actually enjoy tofu in any form.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
So new Gorillaz stuff is coming, then. That is so awesome. It's been so long since we've heard from them, I was starting to wonder if the whole thing was over with.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] The other kind. The kind that causes bloating, headaches, migraines, cramps, nausea, vomiting, and all that other good stuff.

---------------

I'm tired. My head feels like it has a warm cotton pillow stuffed in it.

---------------

I'm tired of waking up at 4 in the morning and not being able to fall asleep again.

---------------

I hate flies. I hate it when they congregate. I hate it when they're so lazy and comfortable that they don't even bother moving when ya shake them off. And I hate it when Fahim hits me in the head with the fly swatter electrocutor thingy and gives me a black eye, even though he was sorry.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't this thread overlap my "Qustions and Comments" thread just a tad?

Academically asking, all hypothetical. I'm not trying to 'steal' credit fom our most respectable Da_Goat.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I hear that, Verily.
quote:
I hate it when they're so lazy and comfortable that they don't even bother moving when ya shake them off.
I never realized how much I envy flies until I read this sentence.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Nausea and vomiting? Really? Yeesh. I knew it was unpleasant and painful, but I didn't realize it got that bad.

Actually, I'm curious as to whether there's a story that goes with the random comment above the period one. But I thought it might not be classy to inquire. [Wink]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Jonny H, by far the majority of topics I've started have been in this vein. And you needn't use all those italicized adjectives. The fact that you included the underscore in my username means that you respect me much more than most, including myself, do.

---

I think "sweat nada" would be a cool catchphrase.

---

I have now eaten dinner.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am writing a story at the moment - kinda quest/adventure thingy. The main character is a 12 year old girl called Kamari - which is also the name of a living goddess in Nepal. The naming is a nod to my little sister who is getting a dog this weekend and calling her Kamari (the living doggess).

The character's last name is Sura. I really liked the name.

Until Tony read it and said "You know that sounds a lot like Kama Sutra, don't you?"

[Mad]

-----

I should be studying corporations law. I thought I'd hate it, but the bit I read yesterday was kind of cool.

It actually originated in medieval England, and became more and more developed as joint ventures became necessary - think the Dutch East India Company. Cool.

----

It's raining here *finally*. Everything was so dry and brown and now it's wetwetwet. But I can't do any washing because our dryer is broken.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Verily, yes, it can get that bad. More than half my periods in the last half year have included vomiting. Much force involved to the point that my eyes are blurry for a day or so because of the pressure buildup around and possibly in the eyes. But I'm a little extreme. Most are not this bad.

-----------

Verily, yes, indeed, there is a story behind that comment right before the one about periods.

Gas.

I am not a girlie girl. I admire and respect girlie girls, I will, however, never be one nor do I aspire to be one. Entirely. Just a little bit sometimes. Like when it comes to being able to figure out what to do with my hair other than having it hang all over the place.

So marrying Fahim, and then the years before that, but especially with Fahim, he's so comfortable and so himself and so doesn't care about things like passing gas or belching in front of me that yes, it's sad to admit, I have also gotten used to passing gas in front of him.

He's the only person in my life I have willingly and audibly passed gas in front of.

Today, the cleaning lady is here. She doesn't speak great English, but that has no bearing on the next comment. I passed gas with a rip-roaring amount of pressure. She was in another room. I have no idea if she heard, or, if she did, if she just assumes it was Fahim.

Nevertheless, not my finest moment. [Angst]

It's all Fahim's fault for me being this comfortable around him. [Blushing]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I reserve the right to delete portions of the above post at will and without notice. [Roll Eyes]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I knew it was unpleasant and painful, but I didn't realize it got that bad.

It depends a lot of the woman, and of the time of her life. Periods were hell when I was a teenager, and I was really happy it didn't happen every month. Since I'm grown and take the pill, I can feel crappy and bitchy, but it is physically easier to bear.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I reserve the right to delete portions of the above post at will and without notice.
[ROFL]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I passed gas with a rip-roaring amount of pressure.
[Eek!]

Ahh, I love a good fart story.

Anyone else pulling April Fools Day pranks? I've pulled off one already. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

When a lady has "the vapours" in an old book, does that really mean she wants to be alone so she can cut one? [Dont Know]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I declared myself gay.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Oh, that was a prank? [Wink]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
it's sad to admit, I have also gotten used to passing gas in front of him.
I don't think it's all that sad. He's your husband. If there's one person in the world who should be allowed to understand that you're human, it's your husband.

If you feel embarrassed at telling this story, at least you can't blame me for that. You're the one that brought it up in the first place. [Razz]

---

By the way, the women of the world have my condolences. I won't say there aren't unpleasant and painful things men have to put up with, but there are none as regular and as common as the, shall we say, lunar cycle. (My favorite euphemism for it.) When I hear these stories, it makes me incredulous that for millennia, men regarded women as weak and delicate creatures. To any man who thinks so, I say, you try having a searing pain in your gut that gives you headaches and nausea and makes you bleed from a very private location . . . at the same time every single month.

---

While we're talking about things that weren't worth making a thread for, can anyone tell me how to pronounce the name of the Wabash River? I've been pronouncing it "Wobbish", for obvious reasons, but I'm sure that's not what the real-life river is called.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
As a Hoosier, I always heard it pronounced "Waw-bash." Two very discrete syllables, too -- almost like two separate words, but not quite.

[ April 01, 2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Like, to rhyme with . . . uh . . . job-gash?

Is the stress on the first syllable, or the second?

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Waw = like "wall," but you don't pronounce the "l"

bash = your standard "bash." [Smile]

No clear emphasis on either syllable -- almst like they are two separate words. First syllable maybe a bit lower in pitch than the second.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(Mind you, Verily, this is the same group of people who say "Kayy-row" for "Cairo" and "Vee-nice" for "Venice." So, take it for what it's

Edit: Hah! Merriam-Webster has a pronunciation for Wabash. Just click on the little red icon next to the word.

[ April 01, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While we're talking about things that weren't worth making a thread for, can anyone tell me how to pronounce the name of the Wabash River? I've been pronouncing it "Wobbish", for obvious reasons, but I'm sure that's not what the real-life river is called.
Should I be embarrased to admit that I live in the Chicago area and it took me three books to realize that Wobbish country (which I pronounch wob -like lob- ish) was supposed to be the Wabash (wau -like flaw- bash) valley??? LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Well this thread is the first I've ever heard of a "real" Wobbish, so you're one up on me...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I'm with Maui Babe. [Dont Know]

-----------

It rained. A lot. Yesterday. It has me very very happy. Finally, it's cooling down here. Finally, I'm not feeling like I'm burning up. I was actually cold last night. As in, with goosebumps and all. I love it! I miss being cold!

------------

It's at times like this that I wonder if I'm fooling myself trying to be a writer. Plotting doesn't come easy for me. I've got a load of ideas and possibilities, but where's the logic? I'm otherwise a fairly logical person, at least in some respects. But applying logic to the plotting process. Ugh.

It's just going too too slow, and I'm frustrated.

------------

Right. And I just remembered that I have a column due in three days, so I guess I better get cracking on that, too. Sigh.

And I still don't know what I'm going to write on for that. Decisions Decisions.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Mind you, Verily, this is the same group of people who say "Kayy-row" for "Cairo" and "Vee-nice" for "Venice."
Now, are those the Old World cities we're talking about, or local towns in the area? Because I always figure people who live in an area know how local things should be pronounced. Here in Alaska, we have a town whose name is spelled Valdez, but which is pronounced Val-deez. We only pronounce it that way when referring to the town; when speaking of a Hispanic person of that name, we pronounce it Val-dez like anyone else.

Either way, thanks for your help. I can finally pronounce that confounded river's name correctly. Like "wall bash" with no L's. [Big Grin]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When a lady has "the vapours" in an old book, does that really mean she wants to be alone so she can cut one?
Yes. Yes indeed it does.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, are those the Old World cities we're talking about, or local towns in the area? Because I always figure people who live in an area know how local things should be pronounced. Here in Alaska, we have a town whose name is spelled Valdez, but which is pronounced Val-deez. We only pronounce it that way when referring to the town; when speaking of a Hispanic person of that name, we pronounce it Val-dez like anyone else.

Local towns in the area. Or so I would assume, Cairo is featured hugely in American Gods, or I never would have heard of it. The correct pronounciation of Wabash in my esteemed opinion is the pronounciation Goody S gave.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my rabbit.
He's so cute and has a tail like a deer. He's the cutest thing in the whole world.
But very naughty. He keeps trying to go at my wires!!!!

One day I need to finish this novel, but I'm afriad too. It might not be good enough and I really lack life experience.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
Midwesterns are good at naming our towns after famous places but changing the pronounciation.

Nevada (neh-vay-dah) and Madrid (mad-rid) are both small towns near Ames, Iowa

While visiting the house of Christopher Columbus in Valladolid, Spain (which is a musuem) I saw a map "New World" cities that were named after Spanish cities. Madrid, IA was on there and I thought to myself, "I wonder if they know we mispronounce it?"

Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I think that Americans founding towns in America are entitled to anglicize pronunciations. If you want to be intolerably didactic about it, we "mispronounce" Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and San Francisco as well. But you know, as long as Spanish-speakers insist on calling England's capital "Londres" and America's largest city "Nueva York", I can certainly live with it.

Edited to add: And if some folks in a Spanish-speaking country founded a new town and named it "Anchorage" in honor of my home town, but changed the pronunciation to "an-cho-RA-huh" to fit better in their own mouths, I certainly wouldn't be offended. I'd be flattered that they thought of us at all.

[ April 02, 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Me: Mom, I'm thinking about coming home this weekend so that I can cook this chili I really want to try, watch a movie that's only showing in Bloomington, and start putting in my garden. But I can only do it if I finish this paper for my psych class because I'm totally swamped with stuff.

My Mom: Great! Why don't we drive up to South Bend for the weekend and visit your grandma in the nursing home.

Me: Um...

My mom: Or if we don't we'll go and visit your other grandma (day trip)

Me: I'm only going to be home one day....

I'm really getting the feeling my mom doesn't want me to come home.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad used to tell me "it's all in your head" when I was having period problems (not as bad as quidscribis!) ...

My response: "um, Dad, it's a bit lower down."

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I had a migraine once, but it turned out to be purely psychosomatic. I thought I had a migraine, but it was all in my head.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I got a sunburn playing tennis yesterday. That means it's spring!

---

Somebody want to come work at a Domino's? We're so understaffed right now, it's not even funny.

---

Whatever happened to the phrase "it's not even funny", anyway? To me, it seems like it died off when I left elementary school, but I don't know if that was a culture shift nationally, locally, or personally.

---

Speaking of elementary school, remember when you used to dare kids on the bus to hold five Warheads in their mouth at a time. Aw, that was awesome. Sour candy games top drinking games every day of the week.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing you don't get a hangover (or DUI ticket) for playing sour candy games.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to learn Quechua. Or Old Church Slavonic.

What college did Ivan go to in Enchantment, I wonder . . .

-------

I realized today I'm not exactly motivated to do much. I decided to change this, but I lost interest.

-------

This afternoon I painted my bathroom. How do you get paint out of everything?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

I haven't had a period, like, ever. Does this mean I'm pregnant?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Wow. If you're not motivated and managed to paint your bathroom, I'd be amazed to see what you're like when you are motivated.
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I had no idea the walk I took today was 3 hours long. That's a long freaking walk, It didn't seem that long at all, but I listened to about 43 songs so I guess 3 hours is about right.

I cannot wait until the summer. Only four more weeks until I go back to NJ. Hooray! [Party]

I really should clean my room.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

quote:
Wow. If you're not motivated and managed to paint your bathroom, I'd be amazed to see what you're like when you are motivated.
My dad's a sort of synthetic motivation.
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

Speaking of Domino's, what's up with that commercial where the guy calls up with 2 friends but they all want different things? The helpful pizza guy informs them of the 5-5-5 deal so they can all have their own pizza.

Who calls the pizza place not knowing what they want?
"Please help us decide what to order, Restaurant Employee! Could you give us any suggestions on how to pay for the food when it comes?"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.