FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three-year suspension of security clearance for destroying classified documents?

Author Topic: Three-year suspension of security clearance for destroying classified documents?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Berger Will Plead Guilty To Taking Classified Paper

quote:
The deal's terms make clear that Berger spoke falsely last summer in public claims that in 2003 he twice inadvertently walked off with copies of a classified document during visits to the National Archives, then later lost them.

He described the episode last summer as "an honest mistake." Yesterday, a Berger associate who declined to be identified by name but was speaking with Berger's permission said: "He recognizes what he did was wrong. . . . It was not inadvertent."

Under terms negotiated by Berger's attorneys and the Justice Department, he has agreed to pay a $10,000 fine and accept a three-year suspension of his national security clearance. These terms must be accepted by a judge before they are final, but Berger's associates said yesterday he believes that closure is near on what has been an embarrassing episode during which he repeatedly misled people about what happened during two visits to the National Archives in September and October 2003.

Lanny Breuer, Berger's attorney, said in a statement: "Mr. Berger has cooperated fully with the Department of Justice and is pleased that a resolution appears very near. He accepts complete responsibility for his actions, and regrets the mistakes he made during his review of documents at the National Archives."

The terms of Berger's agreement required him to acknowledge to the Justice Department the circumstances of the episode. Rather than misplacing or unintentionally throwing away three of the five copies he took from the archives, as the former national security adviser earlier maintained, he shredded them with a pair of scissors late one evening at the downtown offices of his international consulting business.

The document, written by former National Security Council terrorism expert Richard A. Clarke, was an "after-action review" prepared in early 2000 detailing the administration's actions to thwart terrorist attacks during the millennium celebration. It contained considerable discussion about the administration's awareness of the rising threat of attacks on U.S. soil.

I don't care about the fine amount or the fact he's not getting jail time. But why will this man ever be given access to classified documents again? He has twice proven he is untrustworthy - once by taking and destroying documents, and once by lying about it for an extended period of time.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think he deserved jail time until I saw this:
quote:
he shredded them [copies of a classified document] with a pair of scissors late one evening at the downtown offices of his international consulting business.
If this is the crime he's pleading guilty to, he deserves some jail time. But white collar criminals are almost never judged appropriately. [Mad] [Grumble]

Realistically, Dag, I don't think he'll ever have a high-profile job again, even with a future Democratic administration.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
My question is whether those scissors were approved for the use of shredding classified documents. [Wink]

Sheesh, what a weirdo.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
He might have a hard time getting any kind of security clearance in the future.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's a misdemeanor (which surprised me), and first offense misdemeanors seldom get jail time.

I hope you're right about his ability to get another security job.

I can't figure out his motivation - he left copies there. What was he doing? Did one of them have a secretly encoded microdot with incriminating information? Why would he do this?

If my more paranoid and very unlikely scenarios are true, he will get a job in a Democrat administration because someone owes him big. But I can't see that being the case.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I shouldn't be enabling your paranoia, but...

quote:
I can't figure out his motivation - he left copies there. What was he doing? Did one of them have a secretly encoded microdot with incriminating information? Why would he do this?

See, if they punished him too severely, it would give away the importance/advancement of this thing. It all makes sense! [/nutjob]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, you don't think he'll have security clearance again?

Remember the Iran Contra scandal? Elliot Abrams "Today he's Senior Director for Democracy, Human Rights and International Operations at the National Security Council." (Pardoned by Bush Sr.)

John Poindexter: "co-founded a software company and eventually went on to become Senior Vice President at Syntek Technologies, helping to develop the Genoa surveillance system that will be used by the Pentagon's Information Awareness Office, of which he is currently the director." (Convictions overturned on technicality.)

I don't know how high a security clearance either has, but I would think they'd have one.

Here is a (probably very biased) article about Reich. http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,646835,00.html

I'd worry more about a Republican pardoning him and them giving him another job. Even one doesn't, these guys seemed to have landed on their feet. Rather nicely, too.

http://www.hereinreality.com/irancontra.html

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Turns out the judge didn't like the deal and gave him two year's probation, 100 hours community service, and $50,000 fine.

quote:
A federal judge yesterday ordered former national security adviser Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger to pay a $50,000 fine and give up his security clearance for three years as the penalty for smuggling classified terrorism documents out of the National Archives in 2003.

The sentence was much more severe than the $10,000 fine that Justice Department prosecutors and Berger's attorneys had jointly proposed after Berger pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge. But Magistrate Judge Deborah A. Robinson said the punishment, which also included two years of probation and 100 hours of community service, would more "sufficiently reflect the seriousness of the offense."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.