FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Replay to Magic : the gathering

Author Topic: Replay to Magic : the gathering
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
After a long long time, we decided my friends and i to replay to Magic, the collection carts game. We get out our dusty decks, stayed in the end of a trunk during around 5 years... And we played all the night ! What a pleasure !
We remembered all the adolescent time, in the lycée (high school for you) during leasure times.

The return of the Giant growth, the sorceress queen, the fire ball, the desenchant...

If you played it when you was younger, try it again. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I only played Magic a little, but it was fun. I really want to play the Lord of the Rings TCG again. I have a good set of the Fellowship edition (every common and uncommon, and nearly every rare). My ex-boyfriend had a complete set (four of each card). We courted over the game. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I played it hardcore for about 2 years but then realized that I was spending way too much money on cardboard cards.

But I do still have a binder of all of my really good cards. I look at it every once in a blue moon and feel this huge pang of regret that I don't play anymore.

What is it about Magic the Gathering that makes it so appealing?

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonoreDB
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for HonoreDB   Email HonoreDB         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic just had a renaissance, in a big way, in my dorm. We went from no magic playing to weekly draft tournaments, and the lounge is always covered in cards.

The new ones include ninja, and I think they captured the flavor exactly. It's awesome.

Posts: 535 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss magic... The rules just changed too often to keep up with my deck design...

I was the top ranked woman in the world for a while. I still have my DCI card...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I haver a box a little larger than a shoebox jam-packed full of Magic cards. I almost tried to sell them a few months ago.

My five year old came home talking about the Yu-gi-oh cards his friends have, so I showed him my Magic collection. He doesn't know exactly what they're for, but he was in awe. I think I climbed a few notches on the ladder of cool.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still one card away from having all of Third Edition. I don't have enough to play a game, but the set is worth a lot of money.

But who would buy it?

[ April 01, 2005, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean Revised? I didn't think they started numbering the editions until Fourth Edition. But I could be wrong.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It was called Third Edition when I was buying booster packs for it. It only started being referred to as Revised later on. But yes, I mean revised.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan and I have been playing a LOT of magic lately. I found my old cards and decks and we went to ebay and got some more cards.

Tons of fun.

Except when we get mad at each other. [Wink]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven;t played Magic since January. *twitch* I miss it. [Frown] I had an infinite loop deck where I could get infinite life and manna, and then FIREBALL! [Evil] That was fun.

I play a lot of LotR CCG, too. I used to be 5th in the state, but my ratings dropped a bit. *sniff*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a ton of cards that go all the way back to Arabian Nights.

I should dust them of some night.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If anyone has any TE (Revised) let me know if you want to get rid of it!
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, that is pure eee-villll.
Imagine playing that with your PMS-y wife with a Fork and a Fireball in her hand.

We've playing since Legends. I usually play red/green direct damage/stomy creatures decks. Now our two older kids are playing- Matthew is into just stompy creatures, Olivia has a fairy deck. One of my proudest moments was watching her crushingly defeat her older bother, dad, and dad's best friend with her fairies.

I'm actually right now ordering some cards to revitalise my old Verduran Enchantress deck, now that I can use it again.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for gossip           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.magic4you.nu/MTG/onlineplay.php

There is a program called apprentice which allows you to build decks through it and play online. Or so the theory goes. Never actually done it, but have made a couple of mock decks, which, now looking are apparently deleted.

So if you ever want to play against me, I'll build my deck in there and we'll play, although, I don't know squat about what rules are now. Jamie and I just sort of play with our own understood rules, so to speak.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have apprentice. But it's not on my desktop. Have to ask hubby about that.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
adam, the traditional way to do the "denial" deck is to put in a coupla millstones. That way you deny them the ability to do *anything* while you millstone off their deck and watch them whine as their good cards go into the graveyard.. then you win when they run out of cards.

I had 4 extra devine offerings in my sideboard just because of that.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

My hubby has the most annoying denial decks.

I like to use millstone in my extra big direct damage decks. I use mana flare in those decks too. I get lots of mana that way, and can often kill just with DD.

Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to lockdown with winter/static orbs then mill and grind away. It's such an aggravating build to play against sometimes.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite was my drain life deck. I'd sit behind a wall of will o the wisps, with terrors and ashes to ashes in my hand, a royal assassin, and (back in the day when dark ritual was legal) sit and wait for a drain life and a whole mess o mana. Of course, the 2 nightmares in an all swamp deck helped in case of counter spells [Razz] I had ways, in that deck, of dealing with almost anything.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a deck that comes back from the dead. Constantly. Nathan hates it.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, i have the most powerful creatureless Tourach game i can paly.
Maybe Underworld dreams can be a good addition...

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I made up rules to Magic back when it was big. We spread them around at summer camp and it was extremely popular for that summer. I can't remember how we played, but I liked our version a lot better.

Everyone who plays the real way would probably hate it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

I have never played a creatureless deck.

We finally got apprentice, but I haven't made a deck yet.

Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
I've stayed current in M:TG since third edition. Still play in tournaments. It's nostalgic to hear all of you guys talk about "fireballs" and "forks". I remember when the game was so different then it is now, and has been since Alliances. At first, I hated the fact that WOTC was increasing the power level of everything and starting to do expansion sets in groups of 3, but I stuck with it and it is so much more fun now. The nuances of each set and the new mechanics they design keep me coming back for more. Ravnika just hit and it's currently blowing my mind. I don't know if any of you guys remember Invasion, but if you liked that set, Rav will make you into a cardboard crack junkie ^_^. Magic is by far the most entertaining, dynamic, and non-repetitious game I've ever encountered.......FNM anyone?
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

I do like the new "dual color casting cost" feature they've started with Ravnica.
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
I do like the new "dual color casting cost" feature they've started with Ravnica.

I also like how they fixed the problem of local enchainments being wak as hell by making them into Auras that all have some CIP triggered reaction. [Wink]

(CIP = come into play)

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

and "Dredge" rocks
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I played a fair bit as a teenager, but dropped out about the time Visions was released. I got back into it during the Invasion block but stopped again after that. Then when Mirrodin was released I rediscovered my love of the game anew. I enjoy playing in Limited formats, mostly sealed deck (where you construct a 40-card deck from a random set of cards), since Constructed formats are too expensive for me and I don't like most of the sets that are currently legal in Standard (formerly "Type II;" Mirrodin block dropped from the Standard rotation last month).

Vintage (formerly Type I) is also too rich for my blood, since I don't own the requisite playset of dual lands, Mana Drains, Mishra's Worksops... the list goes on. Extended (formerly Type 1.x) consists mostly of sets I skipped. Basically, for Constructed play my hope rests with the new Legacy (formerly Type 1.5) format -- Legacy had its banned and restricted list separated from that of Vintage recently, and is now a format unto itself. You could loosely describe it as "unpowered" Vintage, but that would be doing it a disservice. Basically, you can play with everything except the most hideously broken cards. The format is new, and just begging to be busted wide open with novel deck designs. The barrier to entry isn't high because old singles that aren't chase rares are pretty cheap.

I kind of want to throw something together for Legacy, and it's been simmering along at the back of my mind since the format was officially launched. There are a couple of places that hold weekly Legacy tournaments within a 1-2 hour drive of me, but I don't want to go until I've put together something that could be faintly competitive. Most of my best cards are in green and black, because for a long time my best deck was black with a green splash for Pernicious Deed. It seems, though, that Pernicious Deed is too slow against stuff like Goblin Piledriver. I think the solution lies in Sphere of Resistance, but I'm not sure how to break it...

Er. Sorry. I'm rambling. [Razz]

Really, though, when it comes to card games I much prefer Richard Garfield's second effort, Netrunner. Sadly, I don't have many people to play it with.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

If any of you are looking for some play R.I.W. hobbies, located at 5 Mile and Middlebelt in Michigan has a FNM every Friday and the prize support is ridiculous......pay out to top 16. let me know if anyone needs more specific information as I go there all the time and am good friends with the owner.

(and yes, that is the same R.I.W. that had 6 of the top 8 at Nationals, for any of you that keep up on the tournament scene)

twinky
Member # 693

I don't think that's very far at all from where I live... just on the U.S. side of the border, of course. However, my local store has Friday Night Magic as well -- my problem with FNM is that the Constructed play is all Standard, and I wouldn't exactly say that I thought much of the Kamigawa block. Ravnica is okay, but it's no Mirrodin. So I'm not particularly interested in making the financial investment required to play Standard. I think WotC's "one block per year" thing makes Standard too expensive. I'm also no good at draft, which is why I prefer Sealed. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

Draft is prolly the most fun / balanced way to play.
twinky
Member # 693

But you have to know the sets inside out to know what to draft and when. [Razz]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never found that to be true, though knowing the general shape of the set is useful.

Of course, I hardly come in first with any consistency, but I do okay for myself. Its a matter of picking cards that allow you to manage the resources important in draft play and disrupt your opponent's management of those resources. Combos don't really come into play except in terms of generally complementary cards that are good on their own.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I blew a lot of money on Magic. A lot.

After starting a bit late, after The Dark was released, I was able to trade, buy and win my way to a full set of Arabian Nights, my favorite expansion to this day.

Sadly, I sold most all of my collection during the great "Oh Crap I Lost My Job E-Bay Event" if 1998. That Juzam Djinn nicely paid my electricity bill.

I miss the tournaments and the just downright fun of getting together and playing.

I tended to play either "White Weenie" decks or a really weird black/green monster factory.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
I've never found that to be true, though knowing the general shape of the set is useful.

Of course, I hardly come in first with any consistency, but I do okay for myself. Its a matter of picking cards that allow you to manage the resources important in draft play and disrupt your opponent's management of those resources. Combos don't really come into play except in terms of generally complementary cards that are good on their own.

In that respect it doesn't seem terribly different from Sealed. The trouble is the competition for cards and colours... the draft itself, that is.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*sad sigh* I still miss Jyhad/V:TES. Magic's okay, but it's really not in the same league.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, it helps to be familiar with how people draft. I typically just find out which colors have decent support for a deck type I like in their commons, then draft based on whichever of those archetypes I see more cards for early on. It usually works fine. By focusing less on getting certain "good cards" I'm typically able to reap many "second tier" cards which then proceed to kick the "good cards'" butt [Wink] (for instance, they may get a better creature out, but I'll have three mediocre creatures. Guess who comes out on top?)
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Definitely, Jyhad is really, really fun, but you need a good group to play.

Oh, and in draft, there are certain cards you should always draft: fast mana, cards that let you ditch them (from hand or play, whatever) to draw new cards (one of the most important parts of draft games is the mid-game, when everyone's drawing too much land), cards that can directly remove some threat at any cost 4 or less, creatures costing one or two mana that are potentially three power/ two toughness or greater, multi-purpose cards (even if each purpose seems dinky, they're usually a great value), creatures with protection from some color or another, and powerful anti-specific color spells (you get a sideboard, after all, and most decks will be multi-color), roughly in that order of precedence.

twinky
Member # 693

Maybe I'll see if my local store does drafts. Perhaps I can get better through practice. [Wink]
romanylass
Member # 6306

I haven't played Jyhad in forever! I still have a cool Gangrel deck somewhere in the deck boxes tnhat fill our lined closet. (And the custom fangs I always wore to play)
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever play Doomtown? It was the CCG based on Pinnacle's Deadlands RPG.

Really great concept and a hoot to play.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

quote:
Perhaps I can get better through practice.
A great way to improve your deck building is to go the the Magic website and build decks based on tournament winning decks. As much as you can afford to, of course.
twinky
Member # 693

Like I said before, though, I don't play in Constructed tournaments. I might start playing in Legacy tournaments, but if I do, I probably won't netdeck (copy tournament-winning decks). I don't like to netdeck, as it's called, because when you netdeck everyone else is ready for you. When I'm looking to look at internet decks, I find a much better deckbuilding resource is The Mana Drain, a forum devoted to the "classical" formats (Vintage, Extended, Legacy). I find the level of deckbuilding there is way higher than pretty much anywhere else on the internet. [Smile]

Deckbuilding isn't my problem, drafting is. [Smile] Given a sealed deck I can often build something that faintly resembles the card pool's optimal deck. Drafting is what I need to get better at.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.