FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is mildly irresponsible...

Author Topic: This is mildly irresponsible...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think it is a bad idea to champion abstinence and downplay contraceptives. They are correct in speaking about the limitations of contraceptives, but there are a lot of risks involved in that kind of thinking.

CNN Article

Here is the actual page of the site. I looked through some of it, and it's not really as bad as CNN slants it as. And it's not as bad as the oppositions groups say either. However I disapprove of calling homosexuality a lifestyle choice, and I think more should be made of the benefits of contraceptives.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey who cares about teen pregnancies when morals are at stake?

What was the point of morals again?

As a side note: You have to love the actual site. Look at all those ethnicities! Black people, and asian people and white people and I think that guy with the fro is mexican. I feel there are no barriers between anyone when I look at that photo.

I'm paraphrasing maddox here: Because we all know the differences between us are skin-deep.

[ April 01, 2005, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me why condom effectiveness depends on the number of lifetime sexual partners?

Is this biased? "In reality "safe sex" does not exist outside of a committed, monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner, preferably marriage."

Here we go... What if your teen has alrady had sex?

quote:
If you find out your son or daughter has already had sex, it's important for you to take them to a health care professional to be screened for pregnancy and/or sexually transmitted diseases. Be sure to tell your teen that having multiple partners in their lifetime can be one of the biggest threats to their physical and emotional health. Tell them it's not too late to stop having sex, that it's never too late to make healthy choices. They are worth it! If your teen decides to stop having sex, some tips you can give them for sticking to their decision to wait are shown below. These tips can also be useful if your teen has not had sex yet.

Be Supportive: Be available, treat each other with respect and trust.

Ask Questions: Ask your teen questions about their opinions, friends, school or movies, but let them tell their story.

Goal Setting: Ask your teen about their goals, both for the long range and for the short term.

Encourage, Educate and Empower: Give your teen the support, information and skills to be successful.

Hmmm... Very loaded phrasing in my opinion. But they don't tell you what to do if your child decides not to stop. Apparently at that point, just keep telling them it's not too late to stop. Thanks.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some major problems with abstinence-only education. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However I disapprove of calling homosexuality a lifestyle choice
Here's my question...Why is it bad to say that homosexuality is a choice?

edit: I believe abstinence should be taught. I also believe it's important to help teens understand sexuality and sexually transmitted diseases. The problem is that these two methods of teaching almost completely conflict with one another in the minds of most. People seem to think that if you teach a teenager about sex, they're going to have sex as a direct result. For some reason, other people think that not teaching them about sex and the danger of irresposibility will cause them to not have sex at all. I don't think either view is completely truthful. I think that people are underestimating teens and their ability to be responsible in many cases. Sure, there are the stupid kids out there who don't give a crap and think that nothing they do will affect their lives. But I don't think they are in the majority.

[ April 01, 2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

First of all I don't think homosexuality is a choice, and all too often that is used condescendingly to blame homosexuals for problems inflicted upon them. "Well you know, you shouldn't complain, you chose to live that way."
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mildly irresponsible? More like detrimental. Using a tiny bandaid normally used when cutting oneself shaving for a gaping, life-threatening wound.
Yes, abstinence is the most effective way to avoid pregnacy and sexually transmited diseases. But this doesn't mean a person shouldn't know how to use a condom and that kissing doesn't spread AIDS.
It doesn't mean that they shouldn't know the honest facts about sex, sexuality and all of the things that come with it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well when I was first naming the thread it was something like "this is the most stupid thing I have ever seen" or something similar. But I didn't want to come out swinging quite that hard. Figured more people would respond if I toned it down.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
You can argue that some people may "choose" the homosexual lifestyle for various reasons, but by and large it's not a choice - my buddy didn't choose it and I'm going to assume neither Telp or Karl consciously chose their orientation.

I'm heterosexual - I didn't choose what turns my head and while I enjoy a nice set of curves, it wasn't a conscious choice.

I didn't wake up one morning and decide, "Ok, I'm going to be straight." But there's no denying that's the side of the fence I'm on.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Best strategy: Just go on all your kids' dates with them. This works. You don't even have to sit between them.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Your poor kids. [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, what a funny image...

Makes you look at Geoff in a whole new light. [Wink]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is a good companion thread to mothertree's thread.

I was going to say they should be consolidated, but I don't really think so. Though they are talking about the same site, they are approaching the issue from different perspectives. I'm going to watch them both.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Makes you look at Geoff in a whole new light.
I know! Geoff had his father go on all his dates with women?! He's such a papa's boy!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
It also makes you look differently at his women... suddenly, they're all going on dates with Orson Scott Card. I bet that's something they didn't bargain for. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
*is weirded out because that's the first OSC post I've ever seen*
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC spends all his time on the other side. I guess he loves topics about himself [Big Grin]
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. That is so cold.

The other side is where people post questions about me, to which only I have the answer.

And once I'm there, I look at other posts, too.

I just want people to talk about me. Is that so wrong? [Cry]

[ April 02, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it is wrong - they're too busy talking about your books to be bothered with you. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just want people to talk about me. Is that so wrong?
[ROFL]

oops, I mean "There there now. It's OK. You're OK."

[ April 02, 2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: mimsies ]

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Authors? I haven't noticed any authors around here.

[ April 02, 2005, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: dread pirate romany ]

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
yes
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
****shhhhhhh****
[Smile]

[ April 02, 2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Best strategy: Just go on all your kids' dates with them. This works. You don't even have to sit between them.
Or just be the date. Yeah, dating your children solves all the problems. Or perhaps that is a bunch of new problems.

um

never mind.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The other side is where people post questions about me, to which only I have the answer.

Oh, I don't know. Sometimes your wife gets there first.

Which is why my husband is not allowed on Hatrack. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could see my husband doing this. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.