FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Simply THE best chili I have ever made in my entire life. Period. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Simply THE best chili I have ever made in my entire life. Period.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You must make this chili.

You simply have to. I just made it tonight and it is nothing short of EXTRAORDINARY (yes, CAPS even). It doesn't take a lot of effort, just some coffee and dark beer and all the fixin's. I loved it. It was sweet, it was spicy, it was salty, it was earthy.

<sends food-making vibes to Jatraqueros>

Did I mention how awesome it was?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
PC-
I can't get the link to load. Could you post the recipe?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting, PC.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

<scratches head> That's weird.

Okay...

quote:
INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 3/4 pound beef sirloin, cubed
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
  • 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
  • 4 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, ground beef and cubed sirloin in oil for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender.
  2. Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Season with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander and salt. Stir in 2 cans of the beans and hot chile peppers. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
  3. Stir in the 2 remaining cans of beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Not my Recipe, but really good.

[ April 02, 2005, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, PC
Sounds tasty. My family loves chili, so I'll give it a try this weekend.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks at recipe*

Won't be making that...

I like chili with some carmelized onions for a base.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Why kq? The beer? The onions are carmelized. It's part of the first step.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that. I was saying I like that. But

<--- is Mormon. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Although, actually, it says to cook 'til they're tender, not golden. I cook them 'til they're golden, truly carmelized.)
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

You could make it with alcohol free beer.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And coffee free coffee? *hates the taste of coffee and beer anyway* *actually cooks with alcohol occasionally, but that's another story*
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Decaf Coffee. Trust me, it's good.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Decaf coffee is prohibited by the WOW (as interpreted by prophets and explained by a former bishop of mine).

[ April 02, 2005, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

What's the reasoning? (This is curiosity speaking)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The reasoning is that God told us not to. [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Okaaaay... I'm asking for elaboration. I could have decifered that myself.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Are you asking for the reasoning behind coffee and tea in general, or decaf coffee in particular?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Well, decaf especially. I thought that caffiene was the outlawed item- not tea or coffee. I mean, you should have had this Jasmine tea I got at a Mongolian restaurant a couple of days ago- amazing stuff.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's not caffiene, actually; in the original wording, it's "hot drinks". Later prophets have told us this means coffee and tea, and many Saints drink hot cocoa. I, however, limit the cocoa to when it's very cold, and only drink herbal tea as medicine when I am sick, even though they are technically not prohibited by current practice. I had a bishop who got up one day and said, "It seems to me I need to clarify something. When I have people in my office for a recommend interview saying that they drink decaf but they don't drink Coke, so they're following the Word of Wisdom, something's wrong. Caffiene is not prohibited, although like all substances which may cause dependency, it should be consumed carefully. An addiction to anything is not good. However, coffee is prohibited, and drinking decaf is just walking an imaginary line. I am telling you now that, as we are to avoid even the appearance of evil, we should not be drinking decaffinated coffee."
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Original text of section 89 of the D&C, known as the "Word of Wisdom".)
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Thank you for the explaination. I'll leave my opinions and thoughts for another time.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You're welcome. [Smile]

This is such a Hatrack thread-- started off with a chili recipe, and ended up with a discussion of LDS practice...

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks great. Does it taste coffee-y?

I'm thinking I'll buy a 6pack of the beer and then Tony and I can drink the rest while we eat the chilli. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

There's certainly coffee flavour present, but it's not overpowering at all.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us just think coffee tastes nasty added to anything.

And some of us are allergic to alcohol.

But for the Mormons here: It's not publicized, but at least in the past the official answer on decaf has been "Do you have to? Well, go ahead if you must." I know because that's the answer a member of my bishopric got when I was in a Salt Lake City ward back in the late 70s. But maybe it's changed since then.

And I don't mean he got that answer from God, I mean he got it from some official person in the Office of the First Presidency.

But really, is anybody so coffee-happy they have to add it to CHILI?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchupqueesn, I find it ironic that you make the best hot chocolate ever, yet you drink it cold. Just sayin.' Do you serve it cold, too? Isn't that chocolate milk?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
See I *like* the taste of coffee. And I like using it in cooking. A good shot of espresso in a chocolate cake can raise it from just ordinary to sublime.

So I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm guessing it will add more depth and complexity to the taste, rather than just "Wow, coffee-chili."

But, each to their own. [Smile]

Liz - I agree! I had never thought of that! So kq, spill the beans - is it really the best cold-hot chocolate in the world?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am definitely going to try this chili.
Mexican cooking often uses chocolate, so why not coffee? I bet it does add depth and flavor, and does not taste like coffee at all.

One of my favorite foods in this world is beer cheese soup from Mister Up's restaurant in Middlebury, Vt. Doesn't taste like beer in the least. I have the restaurant recipe still, i think. A friend transposed it to family size, bt it was one of those things that never quite worked, or tasted like the restaurant's.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The bread at the Outback contains coffee. It think a lot of the softer, darker breads do.

And I will try that chilli sometime.

[ April 02, 2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Ketchupqueesn, I find it ironic that you make the best hot chocolate ever, yet you drink it cold. Just sayin.' Do you serve it cold, too? Isn't that chocolate milk?
No, I serve it hot-- and limit myself to once in a while, while it's warm, when it's very cold and I need something hot to warm me up, because otherwise I feel like a hypocrite. [Smile]

(I will point out that I am a convert, so I can make it for my dad and his friends and none of them are violating anything by drinking it.)

[ April 02, 2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have a friend who(for non religious reasons) has to have coffee in the following way:
Brewed hot and full strength.
Watered down by half.
Barely warm when she drinks it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My dad likes his coffee. A lot.

I make very good coffee. I love the smell. I just don't drink it-- never have, I don't like the taste at all.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm telling you, OSC, this chili is awesome. It is rich and tasty and doesn't taste like coffee (it has a hint of it, yes, but it doesn't take over the dish).
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

My wife, who hates beer and coffee, really liked this chili too. She even forgave the number of hot peppers in there [Smile] .
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
What about iced coffee and iced tea? Is that permissable?

And as long as we are discussing LDS curiosities... ever since reading Lost Boys, I've wondered exactly what the deal with underwear is. I mean, why would someone have an odd reaction to LDS underwear?

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try the chili. [Smile]

mimsies, this is a sacred matter to those of the faith, so we probably won't get too specific. As I recall, it isn't a matter for casual conversation. These are sometimes referred to as "temple garments," and they serve to the wearer as both a reminder of vows and as an element of chaste dressing. At least, this is how I understand it.

If you are still wondering, I expect a websearch on "Mormon" and "temple garments" would give some more thorough answers, although you will of course find links to some sites which are derogatory of the practice of this faith. Such is the wonder that is Google. [Smile]

[Re-Edit: [Link Deleted] is a pretty specific page, and it seems relatively decent. I will, of course, remove the link if there should be any objections to it.]

[ April 02, 2005, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

why thankyou! researching "Mormon" and "underwear" gave too many weird places. "Temple Garments" is probably a better search parameter. Thanks Again!

I think i'll try clusty.com which clusters result by topic. I might avoid the negative ones that way.

EDIT:Thanks for the link. That is VERY interesting. It seems silly to ridicule people for that. Then again, I never understood people ridiculing other people for their beliefs and their faiths.

[ April 02, 2005, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: mimsies ]

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Hat]

Delighted to be of service. And, if I've missed it before, welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

CT, the link does seem pretty decent-- except that it's explicitly discussing things I'm really not sure should be discussed. :|

And no, iced tea or coffee are not permissible. Basically, the original language has been clarified for us by later prophets to be coffee and tea.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

When in doubt, delete it out. Just call me The Deletinator. [Wink]

[I ain't afraid of no buttons ...]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thank you. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Eh, no worries. I'm always willing. [Smile] And you have my apologies, as well.

[ April 02, 2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

'Sokay, it purported to be from a faithful, endowed member, so I can see where you wouldn't have known it really was too explicit. [Smile] I don't blame you.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I've been here long enough to realize that the details are not for casual conversation (honestly, I know this, and I should be held accountable). I just was fretting about mimsies plowing through goodness-knows-what, and I figured a heads-up along with hanging around to delete if desired would do.

Mind you, an email would have served better, come to think of it, but I'm kinda sleepy. [Smile] I need to nap before the cello concert tonight, that's for dang sure.

Ah, well. We muddle along with as much grace and caring as we can. [Kiss]

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued by this recipe, but then I rememer the time my friend brought me some chocolate flavored beer on the premise that I like chocolate, and I like beer, so I'll love this. [Angst] Some things should not be.

Beer in chili though...yum.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But really, is anybody so coffee-happy they have to add it to CHILI?
Me! Me!

This chili sounds amazing.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'd be suprised if anyone didn't like this chili. You'd really have to be a tasteless wonder to not.
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
You had me until the coffee...
My interpretation of the Word of Wisdom is pretty liberal. I have no problem cooking with alcohol, because most of it cooks out, and what's left isn't enough to worry about. (My own favorite chili recipe has a bottle of beer in it. My nonmember husband drinks the other three bottles.)

But darn it, coffee doesn't cook out, and even I can't think of a rationalization that will let me use it. [Grumble]

By the way, most grocery-store brands of coffee (Maxwell House, etc.) smell and taste icky. More expensive coffee like Gevalia, on the other hand, smells and tastes good. I liked it with milk and sugar. Sometimes I miss it. Oh, well, if it wasn't tasty, it wouldn't be a particularly worthwhile sacrifice to give it up. (Why can't there be a religion where we vow to give up something unpleasant, like sticking our fingers into electrical outlets?)

Before I converted, back when I still drank coffee, we belonged to the club that Gevalia has where they send you coffee shipments every few months. Once, we quit the club, and they gave us a free canister to rejoin. Then we quit again, and they gave us another free canister. The next time we quit, and we got a free coffeemaker for rejoining. Then we quit for good and moved to another address, so we never knew what they would have offered us to rejoin. (The free bathrobes, maybe? Those looked comfy.)

[ April 03, 2005, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnHansen
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for JohnHansen           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a chili that had beer and coffee in it before. It was horrible.

My chili usually wins the annual Chili cook-off at work but it isn't a recipe that is written down anywhere. I always make it to taste. It's a ground beef, chili bean, chili powder, tomato sauce, and crushed tomatoes sort of chili.

Posts: 398 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

I hate chili (and I grew up in New Mexico!) I hate beer (but LOVE Bears) and only tolerate coffee for my asthma!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.