FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Simply THE best chili I have ever made in my entire life. Period. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Simply THE best chili I have ever made in my entire life. Period.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Beck's Dark
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Niiice. Too bad you don't get to enjoy it while you're cooking.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I will send it, Primal Curve, and I will send it to anyone who asks. I just don't want to post his recipe on the Internet.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B-HAX
Member # 6640

- posted      Profile for B-HAX   Email B-HAX         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a non Alcoholic dark beer? I'm allergic...
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
No KIDDING. I notified my beer drinking friends and whoever visits first gets dibs.

The chili is now simmering. Should I have the lid on or off?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Off. At least, I didn't cover it. It may need to reduce some.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Good to know. [Smile]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! And she told me to quit lifting the lid to smell it.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Smells good, don't it? [Razz]
mackillian
Member # 586

--I--

(THAT was to Nathan)

[ April 09, 2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Hmmm... where's Ralphie these days? She'd probably like this chili.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oh, a little shredded cheddar cheese and sliced peppers really do well on top of this dish. Just FYI.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, can I get it?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

We had the shredded cheese. [Big Grin]

That was some damn good chili.

Though, it makes a TON, so we have lots that'll be going into the freezer.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Yeah, it does yield a lot of chili. I'm glad you liked it.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I made this today. Haven't tasted it yet, though.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate coffee though...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

You made it but you haven't tasted it yet? Hmmm... have you now?

Kwea, it doesn't taste that much like coffee. I'm not a huge coffee drinker and I liked this chili. My wife hates coffee and she loved it.

mackillian
Member # 586

I also dislike black coffee. You can't really taste it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As a passionate lover of coffee, I find it odd that so many people on this thread are maligning it. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Would it help to know that I WISH I liked coffee?
Kwea
Member # 2199

My father laughed when I went into the Army...he said that I would have no choice but to like coffee by the time I got out.

I did order coffee fairly often when I was in the field, but only becaue holding teh cup warmed up my hands on those cold, snowy MO winter mornings. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kama, I will send it! Anyone else?

Tom, what coffee maker do you use? I am thinking of going with the French press.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
[Imogen here]

We made (probably hideously inauthentic) quesadillos (sp?) last night with the some of the left-overs: I sandwhiched the chilli and grated cheese between two tortillas and dry fryed them until they were all crispy on the outside.

Served with home-made guacamole and sour cream.

They were gooood. [Smile]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That's a chimichanga, sort of. A chimichanga is a deep fried burrito, but yours was in quesadilla form. I guess that makes it a chimichangadilla. And it sounds really good!
Kama
Member # 3022

The Kama family greatly approves of PC's chili.

Hmm, Liz, did you maybe send me yours? I never got it, and I remember I had the same problem getting lusti'd carrot cake recipe. She sent it, and it never came. Anyway, could you pretty please send it to me at cammyk AT interia DOT pl ? This one should work fine.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I didn't know AI programs ate chili....
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
She didn't say she ate it. She said she made it for her family.

I hadn't realized K.A.M.A. was a kitchen/household program. That's sweet.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

MMMmmm... Chili... I should make it this week.

Glad you liked it, Kama!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, Kama, there was no mistaken technology at work, just me not sending it yet!
Kama
Member # 3022

[Smile]
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
This afternoon I made this chili and it was once again completely awesome. I recently got a very nice chef's knife that I love and was looking for a recipe with a decent amount of chopping involved.

I used only 3 cans of beans (2 dark red kidney and 1 black) and a bit extra of each type of meat. I think I will keep it that way from here on out.

Anyway, just wanted to remind everyone to make this chili!

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I should send this recipe to my father-in-law, he loves making food with longer recipes, or lots of ingrediants
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I think I will try this, as I have been thinking about it for a while now. I will go lighter on the beans, as my wife doesn't care for them though.

I'll let you know what we thought of it, although I hope you are right about the coffee taste not being strong, as we both HATE coffee.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to eat things cooked with alcohol, on the theory that the alcohol all cooked out, then I read something very convincing that said it really doesn't. I mean, there is a fairly substantial amount left, not trace amounts, in most dishes. So now I don't have coq au vin anymore or rum cake or kahlua truffles or whatever. Tasty but not non-alcoholic.

Vanilla flavoring, though, is fine. I guess there's really no way to keep the Word of Wisdom in a way that's completely consistent. Maybe that's the lesson we learn by grappling with these seemingly minor issues.

I'll say, though, that giving up caffeine was extremely wise for me to do, when I finally got around to it. I quit coffee and tea long ago, but diet cokes much more recently. With no caffeine intake at all I sleep much more deeply and peacefully, I wake more rested, and my fatigue-fibromyalgia-inflammation-etc. stuff is much less troublesome. Sometimes when I really need extra energy, for instance when I have to travel for work or if I'm sick and exhausted and must push on through, I can drink a diet coke or two and make it through. The trouble is then that I have to pay it back later. There is the inevitable crash, with withdrawal headaches and much rest required, to catch back up.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll let you know what we thought of it, although I hope you are right about the coffee taste not being strong, as we both HATE coffee.
It's not.

Just don't overdo the chocolate, even a little bit - it flattens the flavors out pretty severely.

(I also do a low-bean version, as Squish doesn't like beans either. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Off on a coffee tangent. The 'Words of Wisdom' say no hot drinks, and someone decided that was coffee and tea, but not necessarily caffeine. So...does that include ice tea and ice coffee? They certainly aren't hot drinks or strong drink. So, it would seem not to apply.

Just curious.

steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell you what, Anne Kate: use O'Douls and a cup of strong-brewed decaf and you should be able to purge any lingering guilt. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am glad this recipe resurfaced!
I am going to make it today or tomorrow. I meant to back in, let's see, 2005(!) but never did.

I like a chili that is dark and rich, and this sounds like it. Lately, my favorite chili is actually the "Two Alarm Chili" you can find in the Mexican section of the store, along with taco mix. It is really good.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used that two alarm in my own recipe for a long time. Its a great seasoning packet, and almost always comes out as very tasty, easy to make chili.

I made this coffee/beer/chocolate chili a while ago, and everyone loved it.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Is it similar to the Two-Alarm? It just seems like it would be, somehow.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds interesting. I definitely don't have room in our refrigerator for such an enormous quantity of anything right now (and chiles are hard to acquire in NZ), but I might give it a try when I get back to the States in late March.

I've made sauces flavored with beer, and a few recipes flavored with coffee (usually desserts.) My general feeling is that beer, coffee (when not making something inherently coffee-flavored) and chocolate (when not making dessert) are somewhat unpredictable flavors; combining them is all but certain to make a flavor I'm not going to wrap my mind around before I actually sample it.

I'll have to get some meat-eating friends over to help consume the results, though. [Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.