FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Constructing a Web site

Author Topic: Constructing a Web site
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who's 6 years into Web construction: that is, since 3rd grade. A mathematician and a genius, he knows several languages and many scripting methods and languages (he wrote a JavaScript chat with full Hebrew support, or he's very close to finishing it).

I need a roomy site where I can have freedom to construct my home page; if I ask him kindly enough, he can write it himself, and write it well. I can design it graphically. All I need is a free place to do the site and extensive features: on a fast server that won't crash.

By the way, can I have my own domain for free, anywhere?

Any suggestions?

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean free TO YOU? Or with nobody charged at all? Because to register any domain name, SOMEBODY pays.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You can find domain names for about five dollars or so, so it's really one of the cheapest aspects of owning a web site.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, can't pay an Agora (1/5 of a cent). Basically, it's problematic at 14 to persuade my parents to fund a profitless Web site.

So I need something free, but more robust than any old GeoCities Web site. There must be somthing better...

Thanks, OSC and Jon Boy!

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
How much space do you need? Do you mind being a subdomain? I have a ton of space available on my webspace...
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
JH- Why not just ask that instead of giving you a birthday present each year, they help with funding your site?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Because I'm still fighting over the "Bach Edition" at Brilliant Classics.

JH

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get 6 months free with 1&1.

I don't know if you'll be able to pay after 6 months, but even then it's pretty cheap. It seems like a decent service to me. I registered for the trial, but I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with the domain I have with them.

Package Features
Web Space 2,000 MB
Monthly Transfer Volume 50 GB
1&1 Control Panel included
24/7 Phone & E-mail Support included
Marketing Tools
Chat Channels 5
1&1 WebStatistics included
In2site Live Dialogue included
1&1 Newsletter Tool included
1&1 WebElements included
Site-building Tools
PDF2Web Converter included
DynamicSiteCreator 18 pages
Graphic Archive included
WebsiteCreator 18 pages
1&1 WebDatabase included
Domain Features
Included Domain Names (.com .net .org only) 1
E-mail Features
E-mail Accounts 500
Mailbox space 1 GB
1&1 WebMail included
E-mail Protection included

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Basically, it's problematic at 14 to persuade my parents to fund a profitless Web site.
You should let your parents know that creating a well-constructed and useful website is a great thing to put on your resume and college application.

If you are interested in majoring in logic or philosophy in college, create a website dedicated to those topics. You may even get a university to fund your project if your research is good enough.

You wouldn't need your parents to pay for it forever. If you create a focused niche website, you can earn a little money from affiliate programs like amazon, allposters, audible, netflix, ebay, cafepress, etc.

Good luck! [Smile]

[ April 02, 2005, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You should let your parents know that creating a well-constructed and useful website is a great thing to put on your resume and college application.
That didn't work out in my experience, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

[ April 02, 2005, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Satlin ]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

I'm currently hosting with 1&1 - they're great and very, very inexpensive. If you can't afford anything, Jonathan, I'd gladly host you for free and give you as much space as you need - I'm not using much of my space at all right now. The only hitch is that you'd be a subdomain... eg:

jonhoward.schtee.net

If you like, I can set up a sub-account, ftp, etc. and email you all the necessary info, then it's yours. Be warned: I would have access to everything you post on your site, so if it's going to be dealing with anything confidential, you should get your own private account (which costs). Oh, and I even have a free mySQL database open, if your friend needs to use it.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Wooo... I like that Shaolin Power Armor. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks, Wonder Dog! I'll talk to my friend about it...

quote:
If you create a focused niche website, you can earn a little money from affiliate programs like amazon, allposters, audible, netflix, ebay, cafepress, etc.
So, by advertising to those Web sites, I get money?! Hell, yes!

quote:
focused niche website
Only, what do you mean by this?

JH

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Generally websites that are targeted to a specific topic are easier to market than a general website.

For example, if you wanted to create a website about movies in general, you will probably get creamed by the competition out there. But if you focus your energy on just one very specific genre (mobster movies of the 90s, for example), you have a better chance of getting recognition and decent search engine placement.

[ April 02, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Thanks, Beren! And you're welcome, Jonathan. Let me know when you need me to set up the account and how much space you'll need. (My profile email is good.)

I agree with Beren about niche websites - if you focus on a very specific topic, and cover it well, you'll get lots of specific traffic.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Hmm... I could focus on 5 different topics, in 5 different parts of my Web site, each with its own massive home page... Of course, you'll all be members of my "club"... ;-p
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

<curiosity> What are your 5 topics? </curiosity>
(Leave it on too long and it kills cats.)

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Does it matter? Anything!

I do have rather ubiquitous knowledge and interests, shallow as they are.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.