FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LDS General Conference Against the Backdrop of the Passing of the Pope

Author Topic: LDS General Conference Against the Backdrop of the Passing of the Pope
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
LDS General Conference is carried live on KSL radio and television here in Salt Lake, and usually during the two-hour break between sessions there is a special program on television focussing on the LDS church in some part of the world. For this particular conference that special program was preempted by coverage of the passing of the Pope. Somehow the coverage of the passing of the Pope did not seem out of place between conference sessions.

I had certain feelings as I listened to the coverage, and I went outside to set my flag at half staff. I do not yet know how to put those feelings into words, but I would be interested to know the feelings of others here of the LDS faith regarding the passing of the Pope.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Okay, well, I'll take a stab at it.

Mormons have celebrated and thanked God for the opening of the Eastern Bloc countries to the missionary work and for the building of LDS meetinghouses and temples.

Today we were reminded of the large part that Pope John Paul II played in opening those countries.

The fact that Pope John Paul II was the first non-Italian Pope in 450 years, and that he happened to come from Poland, and that his background and personality were uniquely suited for influencing the leaders of the Eastern Bloc...this unique Pope at the head of the world's largest and most powerful Christian denomination...possibly the only organization that could have influenced the leaders of the Eastern Bloc...it seems miraculous to me.

There's is no doubt in my mind that Pope John Paul II was acting under the direction of the Lord.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rav
Member # 7595

- posted      Profile for rav           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know much about him, but I have heard nothing but good things about the man.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting skillery.
I'm curious too about LDS reaction to the Pope's death.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the LDS reaction be anything other than RIP? It's not like this Pope and the LDS church had much contact or anything, right?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Is the success that the LDS missionary effort has seen in Latin America due in part to the renewed religious zeal inspired by Pope John Paul II and his particular attention to that part of the world?
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, despite Theological and Authoritative differences, the Pope held many moral and political views similar to LDS members. As such, he was seen by many LDS as guided by the Lord as as one of His Servants. During his time, I have seen more positive statements about the Catholic Church among Mormons than at any other time that I am aware.

The only other people I know of that a non-LDS person was seen in such light during their life would be C.S. Lewis, President Reagan, and Mother Teresa.

[ April 03, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think President Hinckley expressed the love of the LDS people for the pope very well during the two Saturday session of conference.

During the first session, when the pope was in his final hours President Hinckley said, "I extend to our Catholic neighbors and friends our heartfelt sympathy at this time of great sorrow. Pope John Paul II has worked tirelessly to lift the burdens of the poor, to speak fearlessly on behalf of moral values and human dignity. He will be greatly missed."

At the beginning of the afternoon session, shortly after the pope had died, President Hinckley said, "We join those throughout the world who mourn the passing of Pope John Paul II, an extraordinary man of faith, vision and intellect, whose courageous actions have touched the world in ways that will be felt generations to come. The pope's voice remained firm in defense of freedom, family and Christianity. On matters of principle and morality he was uncompromising. On his compassion for the world's poor, he has been unwavering."

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.