FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » music at download.com

Author Topic: music at download.com
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
I stumbled across the music portion of download.com and have been enjoying the free (and legal) mp3s of bands I've never heard of. I thought I'd share my thoughts on some of these bands/artists here.

First up, Bard Marc Gunn download music here

Some of you may have heard this artist before as he is credited with over 500 performances at renaissance festivals as part of The Brobdingnagian Bards. He has 4 songs available for download, 2 of which are forgettable. I find that especially disappointing of Buttercup's Lament, since I'm a fan of II]The Princess Bridge[/I].

I enjoyed Middle Earth Bragging Song, where he sings from the point of view of several races (and Tom Bombadil). It's billed as satire but I didn't think it was particularly humorous. Fans of LotR should get a kick out of it.

Killiecrankie is by far my favorite of the 4 available for download. It can be challenging to understand the lyrics it's an infectious and driven piece. I'm not sure driven if the correct word for it, but I lack any deep knowledge of musical performance/composition. All I know is I can't stop listening to it.

If you liked this brief review, are familiar with the artist or actually download the music yourself after reading this, please post and share your opinions. I'd like to turn this into something of a series, but I'll only do that if others are interested.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool site. I recommend checking out some Hayden. He's a great Canadian folk singer. Unfortunately, they only have one of his songs. Fortunately, it's a pretty good one from his latest album.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
Underwhelming response, but I'll forge ahead anyhow.

The Good Folk

This group uses professional child singers for soloists, which gives their songs a different sound that most celtic folk bands.

Come By the Hills
A hauntingly beautiful duet that I love. The best of the mp3s on the site.

I'll Tell My Ma
I've also seen this song titled The Belle of Belfast City. Anyone remember the Asimov robot story where the machine invents interstellar travel but the human travelers go through a bizzare "death." I wish I could describe it more accurately because I feel like this song should have been playing at that moment. It involves 2 soloists with the rest of the band chiming in for the chorus. It feels like 3 seperate performances that happen to overlap like some sort of Flaming Lips experiment. Still, I'll keep listening to it until my Dubliners cd arrives.

Poor Wayfaring Stranger

This song starts with a male solo and appears to be child-free. I like this song mostly because I sang it in choir my freshman year. This rendition sounds a bit like it belongs in the musical Hair.

I can't really recommend any of the other songs they have for download. Overall, I'd say they have an interesting sound that doesn't always work.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also download music for free (legally) at amazon.com here. I've found some pretty cool stuff there.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you tell which sites are legal to download from? [Confused]
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's illegal to say that you are offering legal music downloads when you aren't. So stay away from sites that don't specifically say that their downloads are legal. In other words, if their downloads are not legal, they are forbidden by law to say that they are legal, because that would be misleading and dishonest.

Got that? [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yuppers thanks! [Smile]
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I just assumed amazon.com is legal because it's amazon.com. The company would have to be pretty stupid to offer illegal downloads on their site.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I was mostly being snarky, BTW. [Wink] If you wanted reliable advice from me you'd have to be a robot.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.