FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Rape Prevention Device (yes, device - owie!!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Rape Prevention Device (yes, device - owie!!)
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Men, you may spend the next half hour or so curled up protectively. I know I would.

A Swedish company has begun marketing FemDefence, a tampon-like device supposed to defend a woman against a would-be rapist. Sadly, it's only an imaginary product right now, more of an awareness-raising tool than anything, but no small part of me (the mean part) wishes it were a real product.

I can see it being problematic (what if it misfired?), and possibly causing further violence if the man was able to react back.

Still, very facinating.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
>.<
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBee91
Member # 7475

- posted      Profile for LilBee91           Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't that poke through your pants when you sit down or something?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at the blueprints. it's only supposed to, uh, deploy in reaction to sudden pressure.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems pretty ill-thought out, to me.

I mean, there are a large number of rapes followed by murders out there -- all that would do is piss a would-be murderer off.

Just seems more dangerous than helpful.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

See, that's the thing I'm not qualified to judge. Just how incapacitating would that be?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a, um, cute notion, but seriously, would a woman wear it every day, or merely when she felt she was at higher risk of being raped?

It really doesn't seem that anything like that could ever be practical.

(Which may not be the point, I know, but still . . . )

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
And what if you forgot you had it in during consensual sex?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

>.<
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it's like a tampon, I'm guessing that's not terribly likely to happen, though I'm certain a woman will correct me if I'm wrong . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it's not the latest fashion in chastity belt wear?

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
If we accept that a number of murders follow rapes, the victim has nothing to lose by pissing off the attacker since the inevitable murder follows the assault.

If you're going to violate and kill me, the least I can do is piss you off. I'd hate to think this wasn't in some respect personal.

However, I don't think the device concept is particularly practical because of the delivery method - let's really hope the device doesn't shift or misfire.

As for how incapacitating the device would be - probably not very. The shock factor (sorry) would be more of instinctive fear and not necessarily physically incapacitating. It might, however, be enough to scare off a would-be attacker.

But keeping in mind that a large number of attacks happen while the victim is asleep in her home, I'm not sure about the practicality of the proposed device.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBee91
Member # 7475

- posted      Profile for LilBee91           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should just all follow the infinite wisdom of Men in Tights and call it good. But then, we'd have issues if someone got ahold of the key.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

As for forgetting the device...it'll only happen once.

Even if the woman doesn't remember, her suitor sure as hell will. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an Everlast!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not attach something that will shoot friggin laser beams?

Call it the ZipperZapper.

[ April 04, 2005, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've wondered about this sort of device before. There is definitely a part of me to which the idea appeals. It just angers me that women are preyed upon in this way. I'm all for giving the woman some claws to defend herself with where nature has left her vulnerable.

As for pissing the guy off, I imagine *most* men would be pretty busy recoiling first. Then RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

I do wonder, though, if after being deployed it would hurt coming out?

I imagine if something like this became widespread, more men might seriously reconsider their desire to rape. Or they might look for the little string to pull....

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The page says this device is imaginary; there was a similar device, but this isn't it.

I'd like to see said similar device.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Geeze - just use a cigar chopper and be done with it.

Rape deterrent and portable circumcision device, all in one!

-Trevor

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"Nip the tip!"
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
This seems a lot like the dentata in Snowcrash, except that it doesn't inject the powerful narcotic to knock the rapist out. That's a problem, I think, as now the rapist is almost certainly really angry and not at all incapable of inflicting real harm on the woman after yanking the device out and raping her anyway.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing - it doesn't prevent rape. It's far enough inside the woman that the rapist still penetrates her.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

It's an instrument of revenge.
beverly
Member # 6246

Good point, Mrs. M. But if I was able to stop a rapist after a single thrust and get away with my life, I would call it a victory.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Does Lorena Bobbit spring to mind?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Not until you put her there.

Now you must die. [Mad]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If it were widespread enough, it might be a deterrent though.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Which begs the question - how do you like your cock, original recipe or extra crispy?

-Trevor

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

A more effective device would be some sort of trap door or steel jaw that slams shut.

A little metal toothpick will sting, amputation will teach a lesson.

beverly
Member # 6246

The device I always imagined had teeth that point inwards. You can get in, but going out is like driving over those tire-puncture-thingys.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

quote:
But if I was able to stop a rapist after a single thrust and get away with my life, I would call it a victory.
Very true, beverly, but I think that the time, energy, and resources being spent on this device could be put to better use. If women live in a high-crime area or an area with a large number of registered sex offenders (like mine), there should be rape-prevention programs in place that include a series of courses in self-defense. I never fear being raped, despite the dozens of sex offenders in my area, because I carry a gun and have extensive training in how to use it. I understand that's not for everyone, but it does allow me to live my life free from fear and harm and I do think more women should carry.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

BAD MENTAL IMAGE!!!!!!
[No No] [Mad] [No No] [Grumble]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

I am of the opinion that most self-defence courses for women do more in promoting a fasle sense of security than actually making the women safer.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Absolutely.

Any fool can offer to teach self-defense. There are only a handful of programs I'd put any stock in.

And I'm going to throw something at the first idiot to mention Tae Bo.

-Trevor

beverly
Member # 6246

My husband just yelled at me from his computer to "KNOCK IT OFF!"
[Monkeys]

Mrs M, certainly we shouldn't rely on such a device as the only defense.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
The device I always imagined had teeth that point inwards. You can get in, but going out is like driving over those tire-puncture-thingys
Yeah but how awkward would that be once the trap is sprung? It's a rather precarious position to be in, how do you get yourself out of that situation once you are in it?

This is where the virtue of my ZipperZapper and trap door idea come into play. None of that post attack awkwardness, just a clean attack, and lots of running away.

TMedina
Member # 6649

What's the marketing strategy, Bev?

quote:
One little prick deserves another?
[Big Grin]

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

Actually, the device should slide free after the jaws slam shut.

That way, the would-be attacker is more pre-occupied with the metal rat trap clamped to his appendage and less concerned with his victim escaping.

The jaw mechanism should have rows of serrated teeth, not unlike a shark's jaw - not designed to sever the head/shaft, but rather dig in and resist any casual attempts to dislodge the device.

Any attempt to actually "pull" the device off would result in substantial injury to the offending member and could only be removed with benefit of a key kept at hospital emergency rooms.

-Trevor

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

quote:
I am of the opinion that most self-defence courses for women do more in promoting a fasle sense of security than actually making the women safer.
Oh, I completely agree. Especially since most classes are 1-2 hours and it takes 2,000 to 3,000 reps for muscle memory to kick in. That's why I wrote series of self-defense classes and I sould have elaborated more.

quote:
And I'm going to throw something at the first idiot to mention Tae Bo.
Do people really think that Tae Bo is a method of self-defense? That's alarming.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
could only be removed with benefit of a key kept at hospital emergency rooms.

I like that little twist!

Now all we need is some sort of klaxon or alarm to go off. Not unlike a car alarm to alert others to help. Maybe even a GPS transponder to tell the police where to go that goes off when the device is activated.

Not sure how women will feel about having their nether regions lowjacked though.

[ April 04, 2005, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Listen to some of the ads - they don't specifically mention "self defense", but one of the clients claims "a sense of security" from taking the classes.

That terrified me.

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

From the Tae-Bo website:

quote:

Tae Bo® is not just about martial arts itself, because it teaches you to punch and kick. Tae Bo® trains you to respond mentally and physically with speed and accuracy. By using Tae Bo®, you discover how powerful your body is and how to use it to defend yourself. Although, we hope you never get into a situation where you have to call on these skills. However, a key to self-awareness is that anything can happen and one should always be prepared for the unexpected. Practicing Tae Bo® will provide you with confidence, self-awareness, tone and quick reflexes if you enter a bad situation. All individuals should know how to protect themselves. They can learn by applying the Tae Bo® philosophy and techniques (punching and kicking).

http://www.billyblanks.com/About_WhatIs.asp?Section=Taebo

-Trevor

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Wow, I had no idea. That is very disturbing.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, if you thought the risk of gettings AIDS was bad enough before...
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not sure how women will feel about having their nether regions lowjacked though.
[ROFL]
And, abusive partners could use it, complete with GPS, to keep down their women. [Frown]

Storm, I thought of that too. The advantage of Stephenson's dentata is the narcotic that knocks out the assailant.

May's female "elves" in her Many-colored Land series had natural vagina dentatas.

Also, related vagina dentata cultural trivia, ignoring Freud.
quote:
* In the Middle Ages some Christians believed witches could grow fangs in their vaginas.

* To medieval Christians the womans genitals were sometimes equated with the "yawning mouth of hell".

* The early Jews spoke of the vagina as beth shenayim, the toothed place, and stressed the need for vigilance while entering.

* The ancient Greeks had a myth of the laminae -- lustful she-demons born from the Libyan snake goddess Lamia. Laminae meant either "lecherous vaginas" or "gluttonous gullets". Lamia was also the Greek name for the Indian Kundalini, the sexual/life force energy sometimes envisioned as a snake goddess.

* Mouths and vaginas sometime have overlapping symbolism in other cultures. Among the Yanomamo of South America the word to eat is the same as the word for copulate, and the word for pregnant is the same as the word for satiated or full-fed.

No links because, uhh, googling "vagina dentata elves" (I was looking for the ancient Celtic myths) led to some really grusome Photoshopped pictures [Angst] , that are best left to the imagination. It also led to punk and heavy metal, and some gross Tolkein fanfic, and fittingly, the archives of boingboing.net. [Monkeys]

[ April 04, 2005, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does Lorena Bobbit spring to mind?
Heh, spring... genius.

[ April 04, 2005, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To medieval Christians the womans genitals were sometimes equated with the "yawning mouth of hell".
[ROFL]
Officially my new favorite euphemism for the vagina.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

There's a punchline in The Decameron where the euphamism for sex is "putting the devil back into hell." We had to read it in LitHum my first year in college and we all thought it was the funniest thing ever and still use it.
Shan
Member # 4550

It's probably my only ever successful pun, PC . . . frightening . . . [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.