FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Monkees or The Partridge Family?

Author Topic: The Monkees or The Partridge Family?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I say The Monkees.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkees, all the way.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palimpsest
Member # 6897

- posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest         Edit/Delete Post 
Addams Family. That Gomez has quite the voice.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Monkees

Partridge Family sucks.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkees. Zany Comedy over Family Sit Com any day.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Totally Monkees.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
My first real *crush* of any kind, the first time I thought it was possible for me to have those kinds of feelings for a boy--it was on Davy Jones. He was so sweet, cute, unthreatening. It was the first time I thought I could be like all the other girls who had been having feelings for boys for a while.

All my fantasies and dreams revolved around him. Sad, I know. But it was so liberating to finally participate in the "mysteries of crushingness". [Razz] So I was intensely fan-girly about it and watched the show religiously as a young teen.

I never saw the Partridge Family.

Shouldn't be hard to guess what my vote is. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. Davy Jones or David Cassidy? Accent or shell necklace? Daydream Believer or I Think I love you? I'm gonna have to go with the Monkees just because I know more of their stuff. And the whole accent thing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
...And now I'm gonna have, "Hey, hey, we're the Monkees! And people say we monkey around..." going in my head all day. [Razz]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh me too, me too...first thing I thought with this thread [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkees...but I am somewhat biased. I actually briefly appear in a video of theirs done in the 80s at the amusement park where I worked, and I got to meet and shake hands with Davy Jones last summer. [Smile]
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
What was the question again?

Some questions that come to mind:

Who was most popular?
Who do you like more?
Who would win in a rubmle?
Who would in in a DDR battle?
Who would you rather have over for dinner?
Who would you rather eat for dinner?
Which one is more likely to be made into a retro-cheesy movie?

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who would in in a DDR battle?
Pfft--like there's anyone question about that one!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Partridge Family episode with Bobby Sherman.

I must have been confused about my sexual orientation back then.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's totally the Monkees. I remember watching reruns of the show on Nickalodeon when I was at my friend's house (cause we didn't have cable) and laughing my head off.

My friend didn't seem to get the jokes and always thought I was weird.

Oh, and does anyone remember the Brady Bunch episode with Davy Jones? [Smile]

I bought my "Definitive Monkees" extravaganza CD last year and have been enjoying it tremendously ever since. I don't think that there even exists a Definitive Partridge Family CD.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I remember that Brady Bunch episode. But what I thought was even better was when they included Davy Jones (and Peter and Mickey) in the first of the Brady Bunch movies.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
The Monkeys would totally kick *ss on the Partridges.

Mickey Dolanz would clean David Cassidy's clock.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But what I thought was even better was when they included Davy Jones (and Peter and Mickey) in the first of the Brady Bunch movies.
That was a nice touch.

[ April 04, 2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Though David Cassidy was cute, you have to admit. He was so secure in his mulletude, you have to admire a man like that. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kill them both.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Danny Bonaducci would hold his own, but Pete, Mike, and Mickey would trounce 'em.

Davy could fight the little girl, no problem.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Cecily: Oh yeah. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkees.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Of just those two, I would have to say ... Monkees.

Probably because I got pretty sick of David Cassidy when my sister had a crush on him as a teen...

(yes, I'm that old)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkees, definitely.

Anyway, even if I had been a Partridge Family fan, having to put up with Danny Bonaduce at my first job would have completely ruined it for me. You see, my first job when I was in high school (and during the time that the Partridge Family was running originally) was in the snack bar at a Sunday Swap meet - at that time, it was one of the largest swap meets in Southern California. And Danny B. was there almost every Sunday. When he'd come into the snack bar he was such a little jerk - it got to the point where I refused to wait on him, he was so bad.

Oh, and to whoever mentioned that there was a Partridge Family episode with Bobby Sherman - how did I miss that? I only remember the Brady Bunch episode with Davy Jones. And why do I remember any of this stuff at all? [Eek!]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkees!

Crazy I just watched a little bit of an episode that I found at my mother in laws yesterday.... crazy. Had to watch it for nastolgic reasons... Ah Nickelodeon back in the 80s, good stuff.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
The Monkees, without a doubt.
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

The Banana Splits!

Oooh. That Fleagle is sexy!

skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
episode with Bobby Sherman - how did I miss that?
I think that was the episode in which somebody took up residence in the family's garage. They hear music from the garage and find Bobby Sherman in there playing everybody's instruments.

Or was it the episode in which some down-on-his-luck lyricist persuades the family to sing one of his songs.

Oh crap, I am so gay.

It was Charlie's Angels that finally got me straightened out. [Wink]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Here's your Bobby Sherman fix
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkee Monkee Monkee Monkee Monkee Monkee Monkee Monkee Partridge Partridge....
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkees. Davy. Ooooh.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
OH OH OH !!!! Monkees all the way!!

I use to watch them on Nickelodeon back in the 80's and I had the biggest crush on Davey (with a secondary on Mike with his lil hat)

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine. I am not old enough to have watched it when it first aired, but I did watch it on Saturday mornings in the early 70's.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not old enough to remember the shows and I never watched reruns, so I can't choose between them.

But I do know a bit about Davy Jones and David Cassidy, and between the two of them, I have to say I think David Cassidy was much more attractive...and that is accents considered.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

(I agree. Davy Jones' accent is kind of high and whiny and David Cassidy was definitely cuter...a little more rugged.)

But Micky Dolanz? That voice...so sexy. He's the first reason I love the Monkees so much.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia...yes, I was a Mickey sort of girl myself, back in the day. I must have been all of eleven years old.

And Skillery...thanks for the link. I do definitely remember "Getting Together", but I never had a clue that it was a "Partridge Family" spin-off.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in 1980, I'm far too young to "remember" either. That's why reruns exist. I can't say I actually care much for either show, or didn't when I saw them back in high school, but the Monkees had much better music (some of it actually played by the Monkees themselves).

Favorite Monkees song: "Your Auntie Grizelda".

Well, that and "Last Train to Clarksville". But I mean, that one's kind of a given, isn't it.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

"Auntie Grizelda" is a wonderful song. [Big Grin] Actually, the Monkees really did have some good music. They even, as you said, played some of it themselves. [Razz] But you know, I wish people would quit grousing about that. At least they weren't Milli Vanilli, for goodness' sake.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I was saying it in a teasing manner. My understanding is that it irritated them that they didn't get to play their own instruments at first. And they eventually got to, and it turned out they actually knew how after all. So it's not as though they were frauds, like certain other groups I could name.
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

I know. I really didn't think it was a slam or anything. I just heard it so much back then that it's sort of an instinctive reaction, even now.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Understandable. You hear a slam often enough, and you just get tired of hearing it. Like when people try to tell me David Bowie isn't really King of the Goblins.
[Cry]

[Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.