FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Advice to your younger self

Author Topic: Advice to your younger self
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
If you could give advice to your younger self (say 5 to 10 years younger), what would it be?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*thinks*

I actually think my mom was so good at that, there is no advice I'd need to give myself that I didn't already get. [Smile]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my advice to myself involves not letting fear take over my will. *senses a Yoda moment coming on*
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't take the life you have for granted.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, that's a good one too. *nod*
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Don’t bother going out with so and so.
Don’t help so and so with this.
Be sure to say yes to this one.
And here’s some stocks to buy

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
"See this book about a boy trained to lead an army? Yes... Ender's something. Throw it away. Now...see this www.hatrack.com URL? Never type it. You'll be a more productive person." [Wink]

"Oh yes...and the lottery numbers for next week are..."

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't eat that toy, it's going to hurt coming out. Oh sorry that was more like 15 years ago.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes me laugh and cry that 5 to 10 years younger doesn't seem that much younger anymore.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let stagefright drive you out of performing.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Follow your heart, not other people's advice.
Keep up with the friends you have, even if it's hard.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I would quote Indigo Girls song lyrics to myself in hopes that I would lighten up and relax a bit. "It's only life after all."

I would try to convince myself that the end of the world doesn't come so lightly, and that there WILL be other boys. [Wink]

Oh, and I might have said "Change your major now you silly before you waste more money."

[ April 04, 2005, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Take it easy. Most of your insecurity is just you not letting go. Don't worry about what other people think about you (but don't get all eccentric, either). People will like you just fine if you're relaxed and secure. Also, not having a clue doesn't matter so much as you get older.

I didn't have to deal with a lot of the crap some kids have to deal with, and I didn't suffer badly from lack of identity. But I was (and still am) self-conscious, and socially awkward. But at least now I can recognize that and be OK with it.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, DO NOT GO to Uncle Bobby's farm! And when he tells you "Sometimes the sheep really needs to be pushed through the fence," DO NOT BELIEVE HIM!
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
"Question Authority. MORE!!!"
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't made a decision in five years that I really regret.

I have made a few in the last ten that I regret, but since most of those are directly responsible in one way or another for my current life, I wouldn't risk changing any of those, either.

So if I got the chance to go back, I'd just tell myself, in those darker times, "It does get better. Be patient."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Me: Do what you want, if I tell you what to do you might not turn out to be me.

Younger self: I sold my liver to the shaman for that advice? I'm going to kill you!

:scuffle ensues:

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't Marry Him!!!!!"

[Big Grin]

[ April 04, 2005, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

If I went back to when I was young, I cannot think of any advice that would help me be happpier that I would actually listen to. It's all stuff that I was taught in abundance but ignored anyway.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just kill myself and take his place.

*paradox ensues and Crotalus finds himself stuck in a time loop*

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

That time loop would only last until you died of old age.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't stop lifting weights and exercising regularly."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Try new Time Loops!

Fortified with more Chronons, Time Loops will bring more reflection into your life!

Enjoy them: again, and again, and again, and again....

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
"Work a little bit harder, geez."

"Oh, and come to love tae kwon do."

"Also, dad is wrong, anime is not a phase."

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't eat your brother's homemade sushi. Botulism ain't fun.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd have to quote Mostly Harmless:

quote:
"This is your advice then, is it?" said Arthur, leafing through [the pages] uncertainly.

"No," said the old lady. "It's the story of my life. You see, the quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead. Now, as you look through this document you'll see that I've underlined all the major decisions I ever made to make them stand out. They're all indexed and cross-referenced. See? All I can suggest is that if you take decisions that are exactly opposite to the sort of decisions that I've taken, then maybe you won't finish up at the end of your life..." she paused, and filled her lungs for a good shout, "... in a smelly old cave like this!"

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
"You're depressed, you idiot. You know the symptoms, and you have them, so don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Go see a doctor about it."

Also..."Relax and lighten up a bit. Socialize more. See those people over there? They're good people. Make friends with them."

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think myself 5-10 years ago would have more good advice for me now, than I could give her. In fact I think life was better then, and I knew it too. I was very appreciative of my childhood and the potential that was before me. Trying to live up to the expectations I set in those days is what makes life more difficult today.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Dont pull the gear shift of your mom's Datsun just to get yourself to the front seat of the car!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Don't see how much you can peel out on a gravel road the week you get your license.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't drop out of college.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry. He wasn't the right one anyway. I know it feels like the world is ending and you don't want anyone but him.... But someone *better* WILL come along and he WILL marry you.

By the way... That "Saving for a rainy day" thing you're doing? Good Job. Keep it up.

[ April 04, 2005, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
You're even uglier than you think, trust me, you wont get through life on your good looks.

Stop whinning, no one thinks it's cute.

Actually that one's pretty good adivce for me now...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Echoing Farmgirl... Don't marry him!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice!

*takes notes*

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Just go to film school to start with. You'll really want to later, believe me. Computer animation is cool, but not as fun and easy as it looks.

Oh, and quit eating at McDonald's so much.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.