FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Twenty-Eight Hour Days

Author Topic: Twenty-Eight Hour Days
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
This summer, I propose to switch to twenty-eight hour days. It will require a good alarm and careful clockwatching, but pretty much I'm going to wake eighteen hours each day and sleep ten. The purpose of this is to see how well the human body adjusts to a different sleep cycle. Since I have no job and school, of course, will be out, I'm not worried about my irregular hours.

Anyone else have a free schedule and willing to join me?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish. [Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
If that dang Earth rotation would just slow up a bit…..
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I've wanted to try an experiment for a while now, where instead of sleeping once a day for 8 hours or so, I would sleep twice a day for about 4 hours each time. I often find that I'm more awake after sleeping for a short amount of time than I am after getting a full night's rest. But then I crash later in the day from lack of sleep.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, your body needs to get into the REM cycle for the sleep to be "effective." If you sleep in little session for too long you will start reaching REM cycle faster, but also suffer from side effects (can't think of what they are off hand).
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw on TV that they did an experiment concerning this. They stuck a guy down in a cave (so he couldn't see what time of day it was), and had him live down there for a month or so. He ate when he was hungry, and slept when he was tired. It turns out that his natural cycle was 25 hours, not 24 hours.

Moving to Mars may someday be an option for those that want a slightly longer day.

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't you going to have issues with your natural body clock trying to kick in?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I could get away with that. I spend most of each day like a mole down here in my basement office. It's not uncommon for me to nice at 3:00 in the afternoon that it snowed last night.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
My natural body clock adjusts very easily. Last year I just tried twenty-five hours. This year I want something more drastic.

I'd like to see what it's like, because I'll suddenly be awake at times I normally sleep. See a whole new world.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.