FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BobNDanaCon wrap-up: Follow-ups, stories, and picture links. :) madowl link on page 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: BobNDanaCon wrap-up: Follow-ups, stories, and picture links. :) madowl link on page 2
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
First, everybody, it was so wonderful to see/meet you... I had a great time! Can't wait to do it again!

rivka, I need your address to send you that bag I forgot to bring along. It is sitting happily on my porch, where I left it so as not to forget to bring it. [Wink]

mack & Frisco, Mike & Patty will be picking up your package from Ben at the Union today. I need to know where you want them to send your respective belongings. They will be relatively prompt, I'm sure. [Wink]

I don't have many pictures, but I have a couple that will be amusing. I'll download them tonight, probably and post them.

I ended up leaving Ames a little after 3:00 Sunday. I was hoping to make it to MN before having to stop for a nap, but there was no way. I pulled over just past Clear Lake (1/3 of the way home) and called KrabbyPatty to let her know I was sleeping and wouldn't make dinner, and she asked me to call when I was on the road again. I suggested she just give me a wake-up call in 30 minutes, as I don't like napping much longer than that, and I wanted to be driving again before it got dark.

Just as I was nodding off, the phone rang I answered it with "That was a quick 30 minutes." She asked if dkw had called, explaining that she had just called her and said they were just north of Clear Lake. Mom told them I had just stopped to sleep just north of Clear Lake, and dkw had looked over and seen my car as they were passing the exit. I was busy trying to figure out why the h$*& Mom had interrupted my nap to tell me this, and she said they were turning around at the next exit and coming back, and dkw was going to drive my car the rest of the way home so I could sleep.

I actually still didn't understand the benefit of this, but I just wanted to hang up the phone at that point, so I didn't argue. They showed up a few minutes later, and I stumbled into the passenger seat and we were off. I wasn't able to actually sleep, but we had a nice chat and I got home safely, without losing time by the side of the road.

Oh, and whatever stories Frisco tries to tell, all I have to say is he started it.

[Smile]

[ April 05, 2005, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we already put picture links in CaySedai's thread, but we can repeat here!

I'm still working on mine, but there are some up:

Photo Link

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Frisco, what is it with you and little ones? [Laugh] Can't handle ketchup princess, can't handle Superstation... [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pictures. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Now I keep checking Farmgirl's link waiting for more pictures. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Pick the best GROUP shot

And anyone have any idea how I go about deciding how to label who everyone is in that shot?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Only the last two have everyone in them. The last one almost everyone's eyes are open, although the second to last we're obviously having fun. [Smile] There's some neat pictures there!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Dude, Frisco, what is it with you and little ones?
Aw, go easy on him. I don't think anyone could have made Superstation happy that night. He was just one very tired little boy...

Farmgirl

[ April 04, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Wasn't it something that plaid said (or someone in the back) that made us all start laughing for this one?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember but yeah it was geeky-hatrack funny.

The Baby Quilt was presented to Sophie!

Also the female pastor that was officiating had dana and bob bursting out laughing at the altar. She called their marriage a miracle "second only to the ressurection" and told dkw she'd debate theology with her later. (in fairness the message was Easter themed) And, we got to hear tidbits of the e-mails they sent each other. Though no hatrack posts.

There were quotations from Princess Bride on the back of the bulletin. "Mawwidge..."

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

quote:
Oh, and whatever stories Frisco tries to tell, all I have to say is he started it.

(They both required ice bags afterwards...)

More post-con info at:
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=033351

AJ

[ April 04, 2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone, not sure who, said "Bring out your dead" in a homage to the Monty Python quote. [Big Grin]

As for labeling which one is which, I would just have one version with Photoshop (or even Paint) arrows to everyone.

I hate having to look at some text at the bottom of a screen, and counting from the left or right.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Bob'n'DanaCon was simply amazing.

I had a blast hanging out with everyone, and there was nobody I didn't wish I could have spent more time with. I have too many stories to recount, though I'm sure many will come up at one time or another.

Some particular highlights, though:

The wedding itself. The service was wonderful, everyone was glowing, Princess Bride quotations were in the program, Hatrack got given its due (if not by name), and so much more.

Dancing at the reception. I particularly enjoyed when ElJay taught me the polka super-quickly as nobody else was dancing to that song. Whether or not I learned any of the polka is another question (that dance is hard! I'm impressed with those who polka), but it was fun [Smile]

The ride to take Cay Sedai back. While hanging out in large groups is a blast, it was nice to have some time to sit back in a much smaller group and talk, or just sit there slightly exhausted and look at the scenery for bits of time. ElJay and Cay Sedai were great traveling companions.

The late, late, late night conversation/pillow fight/gnaw-fest. There's something about lying on a bed and collectively blathering (actually, I thought we managed to be quite deep at times, though I have a hard time remembering specifics . . .) on about random topics, late at night, that's always special. It takes a certain chemistry between people for it to work, and we certainly have that.

The long, long trips there and back, and all my travel companions for those: Stray, AJ, Kat, Plaid, and Frisco. There was much sleep, which is nice, and surprisingly little stress, which was nicer -- lengthy trips can often be a trying time, and we weathered them quite well.

I know I'm forgetting something I'd love to talk about, but this is the annoying part of being too busy to sleep much at all on the trip -- forgetfulness.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
I particularly enjoyed when ElJay taught me the polka super-quickly as nobody else was dancing to that song. Whether or not I learned any of the polka is another question (that dance is hard! I'm impressed with those who polka), but it was fun
It probably would have seemed easier had ElJay actually remembered how to polka. [Big Grin] But thanks for the dance, regardless. [Wink]

I got to dance with fugu, Frisco, punwit, Bob, Shigosei, Kat, and Ivygirl! And Poseable Nurse, of course. I think that's it, but it's hard to remember, sorry if I left anyone out. [Smile] Oh, and Brian, but he's not a Hatracker.

fugu13
Member # 2859

quote:
It probably would have seemed easier had ElJay actually remembered how to polka. But thanks for the dance, regardless.
Any time [Smile] . By which I actually mean, possibly this summer. I'm looking quite strongly at a trip hitting Chicago and then going towards Minnesota this summer.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
The pics I have from CaySedai are here. If anyone has more photos they'd like added to the album, send them to me.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, Xavier -- I have PhotoShop (that's what I used to compress them to be web-ready) but I haven't ever done the "arrows" thing with it. Let me try it over this afternoon and see if I can figure it out.

Farmgirl

Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good, I've been looking for a thread like this all...well, since I finally got out of my meeting this morning and then got back from lunch. So not long, actually.

I wanted to let everyone know that we made it home just fine yesterday. But more importantly, I wanted to say how much fun we had and how wonderful it was to spend the weekend with Hatrackers. It was such a blast! I just loved taking over the whole 5th floor - it felt very "college" and homey.

So, uh...when can we all get together again? Soon, right? I miss everyone already!

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually don't know anything about photoshop, I just meant little arrows drawn to the people with their screen names at the other end. Nothing fancy [Smile] . Are you saying there's a photoshop tool for this purpose? That would be cool.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need to have a large Billtmas celebration. The advantage of Billtmas is that we can have it whenever we want, and it doesn't interfere with the holidays that non-Jatraqueros celebrate.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
in Photoshop, you should be able to do an outline thing and put numbers on the heads or something, then make a list in the caption with number/name

and

quote:
Dude, Frisco, what is it with you and little ones? [Laugh] Can't handle ketchup princess, can't handle Superstation...
I beg to differ - Frisco was doing a good job with Superstation, feeding him so that Mama Squirrel could eat. At least, that's how it looked to me. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he was happy, but I think that was mostly due to the fact that I had applesauce.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
in Photoshop, you should be able to do an outline thing and put numbers on the heads or something,
ooo - that sounds neat. Let me try to find that.

I did find how to make arrows to point to everyone in Photoshop, but I couldn't seem to make the arrows anything but black (which didn't show up well) and it was too crowded.
So the number thing would work better.

Farmgirl

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
The trip was fabulous. For me, it's still not over. Frisco and I were planning on wandering through Chicago today, but we need to be back here at five and it's 1:00 now, so I don't think that's going to happen.

Oh, let me think of everything that happened. This will probably be disjointed.

1. Mooselet is the man. He was the most enthusiastic dancer out there. He danced with every little girl aged six and under, and he kept switching partners. They were literally lining up for the chance. One little girl (3)started crying when he ditched her for an older woman (5).

2. Punwit is a fabulous dancer, and we did some Western swing. He spun me hard enough my skirt would twirl. It was wonderful.

3. The late night conversation in a series of hotel rooms. Icarus sat on a chair and just watched, inscrutably. Everyone else piled on and played Flux and talked. Fugu says it was deep. I knew I was missing things - maybe that was one of them. I will say that it's like a switch - 1:00 and the collective sense of humor became one large out of context conversation.

So many things...braiding Eddie's hair in the car, and then watching him seriously contemplate a white suit, orange shirt, and mint bowler hat for the wedding. I think he refrained out of a desire to not be camera fodder. So much for that. [Razz]

And now Steve is urging me to get off the computer so we can go to lunch.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Gah! Where's he taking you??

AJ{-- stuck at work, missing out on the fun. [Cry]

(and it isn't like you are the only person he's ever told to get off the computer and come to lunch [Wink] )

[ April 04, 2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Man - do I feel stupid! In playing around with PhotoShop, I just found a way to create an entire web-ready photo gallery of all my images in about 10 seconds --

...duplicating what took me ALL MORNING to do on my own manually.

I really ought to read the help menu more often..

Farmgirl

ElJay
Member # 6358

Vana, for the midwesterners, we need to have a goodbye gathering for Carrie before she leaves for Arizona. I think we need to start planning for that. Someone in WI up for the task?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I nominate Tom Davidson.
[Razz]
AJ

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to -- but when does she leave? I ask because every single weekend through May is already booked.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah, Christy and I have talked about scheduling stuff and I figured if you could fit it into yours...

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Tom -- did I caption your daughter's photos right? Do you call her Sophia or just Sophie?

Farmgirl

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I call her Sophie, but her name is Sophia. [Smile] Other names include Muffin, Bubbles, and Daddy's Little Larva.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco,

You should be shot for wearing that shirt. It reminds me of 8th grade yearbook photos. [Razz]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I vote against the top six photos. [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah - I guess I should just delete the ones that you and Cor didn't get in. We didn't realize you were missing at first....
ElJay
Member # 6358

Tom, I believe she leaves in July, which would make a weekend in June quite possible. [Smile]

Farmgirl -- Don't delete them! There are some neat pics! Just make the bottom two the top two, and pic one of them as the "official" group shot.

[ April 04, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, that's exactly what he said. "I have to do this to AJ all the time." Eddie even came into the room to get me to get off - darn pushy men. [Razz] We went to an Italian restaurant and talked about corruption and Eddie's transformation into Indiana Jones.

More memories:

I curled AJ's hair - she looked like Drew Barrymore from Dick Tracy. Together with the pink ruffly shirt, she said it didn't even look like her, but I think it's just another aspect. I didn't put enough gel in the front, though, so the curls fell out too soon. It was adorable.

Dana and Bob looked so happy. Dana was just glowing, and Bob looked like he could fly. The posable couple on the top of the cake were very cute, and the posable couple by the guest book kept getting caught in, um, compromising positions. In the church, no less. They weren't even ashamed of themselves.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Eddie even came into the room to get me to get off
[ROFL] I know where this is going!....
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Kat, that's going into the OOC. And you deserve it.

AJ
(farmgirl beat me to it!)

[ April 04, 2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a wonderful time. I did my level best to keep up with the younger crowd and fared reasonably well but fell a little short on Saturday when I crashed on the couch. Fugu, Frisco, Icarus, Shigosei, AJ, Eljay,and Kat politely moved to another room and I woke up alone. [Cry]
Oh, BTW, if any of you are interested, I managed to NOT sleep in the wet spot.

I loved dancing with: ELjay, Kat, Farmgirl, Shigosei, AJ, and the incomparable Sophia. (I can't believe how light she is on her feet.) I wish I'd got to dance more but I'm old and I got winded. It's safe to say that I'm at least energetic for short stints but I have a hard time maintaining that level indefinately. Fugu and I considered a waltz together but, alas, it did not come to pass. If I have missed anyone my humble apologies.

Getting the chance to converse one on one with some of you was also a highlight. I wish there had been time to do that with everyone. The ceremony was absolutely delightful and filled with humor. I wouldn't have missed this for anything. I have a few pics and will upload them later. Love you all!!

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*interested*

Did you decide who would have led? It's very difficult switching to start on a different foot than you're used to.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang! Wish I had more time to post right now and read all these follow-up threads...

ElJay's nice enough not to mention it, but part of the reason she was late on Sunday was that I spaced out on doing the navigating when she was dropping me off in Des Moines. (But, since it worked out that way for dkw to drive her back, then, yeah, maybe it was a good thing that I was so bad at paying attention to where we were going,)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, punwit's the better dancer, so I would have lead (since he'd then have been the one switching).
punwit
Member # 6388

Plaid, Do you instant message? I've got a question for you.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I want more pictures. And more stories. Actually, I just want us all to be back together again. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

(hee hee) ( I get to put punwit in the OOC thread)
punwit
Member # 6388

quote:
Oh, punwit's the better dancer, so I would have lead (since he'd then have been the one switching).
Somebody's not being totally honest about their years of ballet training.
fugu13
Member # 2859

We can qualify that, then, better ballroom dancer [Razz]
punwit
Member # 6388

I didn't take very many pictures, [Cry] but I'm linking a few of them. Here is the link.

#1 fugu caught in a moment of domestic bliss.
#2 The obligatory semi-nude Frisco pic.
#3 The Hatrack Hotel, notice the halo? This is also the Student Union. It is almost beyond belief that our combined goodness is enough to offset the sin generated by college students.
#4 Swans on the lake directly in front of our hotel.
#5 Another early morning picture of our hotel.
#6 Farmgirl and Ivygirl picking me up.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Fugu irons! I am morally opposed to ironing.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.