FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving to Utah (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Moving to Utah
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Bingo!

You should feel very fortunate, Jonathon, this is a pretty fast moving thread. They don't all move this fast. But when people get riled up, they can go too fast to keep up with.

Also, just when you think a thread is dead, it can be revived by someone.

[ April 04, 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you, i was waiting for someone to finish it, and i would feel silly doing it myself.
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
Well i'm done with this thread, but if anyone wants to revive it, be my guest.
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I was a non-Utah mormon for years, then we moved to Utah... then I couldn't stand to see the 'Utah-Mormons' so I became inactive... Still am, in fact now I don't even really have a religion.

But yes, the only issue I've had is that when they find out I'm not mormon (Well, technically I'm still listed.) They go into 'uber-convert' mode on me. Seems somewhat hypocritical to me being as I don't want them to...

quote:
I miss Utah a lot! [Frown]

I moved to Washington from Utah in May.

*big sad sigh*

The mountains are gorgeous and I always thought the (not too much) rain was a good bonus. Oh! The people are wonderful BTW.

Unicornwhisperer, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I came from Washington to Utah, and I far prefered Washington. Still do.

So my suggestion to you, Jonathan is that since you too are a minor... keep your lips sealed about not being mormon and act like you know what they're talking about when they go into religion. Then you probably won't have issues with them working against your religion. ^_^

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

I'll take you're advice.
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
It is bad advice to try to be deceitful about your religion.

quote:
They go into 'uber-convert' mode on me. Seems somewhat hypocritical to me being as I don't want them to...
It might be annoying, but there is nothing hypocritical about it.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

You're not decieving them, you're just not telling them what you are. ^_^

They teach acceptance of others and their beliefs, yet they can't seem to accept that I'm not one of them, they won't take no for an answer on wanting to listen to what they have to say.

[ April 04, 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
They also teach that they should actively try to share the gospel with others.

You appear to be confused about what the word hypocracy means. It means to profess to believe one thing in public, but then disregard those "beliefs" when not in view of others.

Hypocracy seems to often be used as catch-all for when religious people act in a way that displeases you. This is not what it means.

[ April 04, 2005, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Portabello ]

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

I always viewed basic hypocracy as teaching one thing, but not following it yourself, it doesn't matter whose view your in.

But that's the contradiction. They say to be accepting of others, but also to spread the teachings of the gospel. Then why can't they accept that I don't want to hear the teachings of their gospel?

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Porter, what's up with the mushroom mask? Got tired of Anticool?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
AntiCool hit 1000.

He sold!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I picture him as one of those mushrooms on Super Mario Brothers. [Smile] That's better than a potato head!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

As I pointed out, they are very open about the fact that they want to share the gospel with everyone. You could try to make a point that LDS teachings of "acceptance" (your word) are inconsistent with the teachings of missionary work, but since they are open with their desire to spread the gospel, it can't really be called hypocracy.

But I don't think you could do that, since you appear to not understand the Church's teachings on "acceptance" (your word).

Brinestone -- check out this thread to find out about my new name.

mph

[ April 04, 2005, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Portabello ]

Vadon
Member # 4561

Well, here's the thing. Typically, when it comes to being a missionairy, they will ask if they can come in and teach, if denied, they continue on and try for someone else. That's being accepting of the person's beliefs and they're still trying to spread the gospel.

The problem comes in where there are these kids constantly pelting me with Book of Mormons trying to force me to sit down, read it, pray, and convert. It is them who I have a problem with.

[ April 04, 2005, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The weather sucks. Sucky suck suck suck. Though I hear it's pretty good in the summertime. I wouldn't know for sure. And the mountains are pretty.

and isn't the population of SLC have more nonmormons than mormons? I might have heard that once.

[ April 04, 2005, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan-
I lived in Utah for two years and I jsut loved it. If you like the outdoors, mountains, skiing, and camping, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.

Park City is different from other towns in Utah in that the "non-Mormon" population is higher. Enjoy Utah for what it is. Don't deceive people about not being Mormon. Let them know that you are happy where you are. Most people will respect that [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

quote:
The problem comes in where there are these kids constantly pelting me with Book of Mormons trying to force me to sit down, read it, pray, and convert. It is them who I have a problem with.
While that might be rude and obnoxious, it's still not hypocracy.

What could be hypocracy is if somebody buddies up to you in an attempt to befriend you into conversion, and then drops you like a hot porteiro when you make it clear that you're not going to covert.

Of course, being a member of the LDS church doesn't make anyone exempt from being insensitive, a jerk, or an ass.

mph

Vadon
Member # 4561

That's probably the best way to put it, yes.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you wind up around insensitive jerks of Mormons (anywhere, not just in Utah), ask them to recite the 11th article of faith for you. If they can't, tell them to go look it up before they speak to you. If they can, ask them to abide by its advice.

quote:
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Utah Jazz is the local basketball team. I guess it's cool, if you're into that
I grew up with Hornacek... wonder what he's doing now...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's interesting and a little sad how some people always need to have someone to look down on in order to feel good about themselves.

For example, non-Utah LDS who perpetuate a "Utah Mormon" stereotype.

Or, for example, non Utah-County Utahns who adopt a fashionable "Utah County" paranoia.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I grew up with the Chicago Bulls, who always SMOKED the Jazz. [Evil]

Ahem. Sorry, continue with your discussion.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dante, I've met enough of them who are totally insufferable that I'm not going to give it up. And it doesn't make me feel better about myself.

I've heard about it from enough Mormons who live in Utah that I believe it's real. It probably would happen anywhere the Church had a high enough concentration of members.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

I'm back for lunch.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It probably would happen anywhere the Church had a high enough concentration of members.
It would probably happen anywhere Anything had a high enough concentration of members. That's why I'm a bit less prone to the Bubble!Utah theory. The bubble around Utah is no bigger than the bubble around Arkansas, or anywhere else with a lot of people who tend to think the same way.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I grew up with the Chicago Bulls, who always SMOKED the Jazz.
I seem to remember them coming darn close to losing the championship to the Jazz once (and I seem to remember some appallingly bad calls that decided one pivotal game).

<—bitter Jazz fan

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel compelled to point out that a "hypocracy" would be a government of hypocrites. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
The bubble around Utah is no bigger than the bubble around Arkansas, or anywhere else with a lot of people who tend to think the same way.
What bubble?

And I don't have to deal with many people from Arkansas. [Razz]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

quote:
What bubble?
Exactly. [Smile]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I feel compelled to point out that a "hypocracy" would be a government of hypocrites.
Actually, it would be a government from below; perhaps a government of subordinates, which doesn't make sense.

But that's not nearly as funny.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what part? Because I lived in Logan for several years, and I adored living there. It was absolutely wonderful.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I grew up with the Chicago Bulls, who always SMOKED the Jazz.

Ahem. Sorry, continue with your discussion.

Narnia, I'm a Chicagoan too... Jeff Hornacek's younger brother John was one of my high school friends and we spent a lot of time around Jeff during the summers.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 7528

- posted      Profile for Hammer           Edit/Delete Post 
JK: I've spent a lot of time in and out of Utah. Found a good bridge once up by Park City. Slept all night.

Let me dispell some myths that seem to be bouncing around here.

1) Nothing wrong with a Utah Mormon or otherwise. They are the nicest and kindest people you can meet.
2) they won't try to convert you unless you ask them too. Although, you can expect several warm loaves of fresh bread when you move in. Cookies are also in abundance. They love what they have and will tell you if you ask.
3) Beautiful scenery. Mountains, rivers, lakes, wildlife, trees, you can really enjoy the outdoors here more than most places.
4) Valley life. Crowded? How the heck can it be crowded when you can see open land for hundreds of miles?
5) Park City. Great place if you like liberals, Just kidding. It is a great place though--skiing, outdoors, up in the mountains, not too far from the valley and lots of movie stars looming about. Nothing better than a hot Mormon girl--except for maybe the hot bread.
6) The concept that because of someone's religius beliefs they cannot be unfriendly is simply hogwash. Everyone has good and bad days be you Jewish, Christian, Hindu or a bum like me. If you expect every Catholic to act a certian way you'll be disappointed. Same with Mormons. I call some of them Morons. [ROFL]

Anyway, they have some great soup kitchens, comfortable parks and a free dentist office downtown.

I try to get there once every year or so to check the teeth. They keep doing construction on the bridges though.

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still trying to get used to Utah and I moved here almost 10 years ago. I don't mind it, I love the mountains, but I have a hard time with the climate. Even though I'm LDS I suffered major culture shock when I came out here the first time. But it's not such a bad place to live.

On a recent work trip up to Portland, however, I remembered how much I like wetter, greener climates.

quote:
By the way, it saddens me that nobody commented on the "ten densest" thing. Shame on all of you.

I was going to say something, but this thread was already 3 pages long and you had already cursed us all for not commenting.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
they won't try to convert you unless you ask them too
Some of them will. But that's Mormons everywhere. [Wall Bash]
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

I'm back again.
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

Oh and by the way, that was a great post hammer, one of the few informative ones, not that i dislike any of the others.
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How the heck can it be crowded when you can see open land for hundreds of miles?
Open land? You must not be in the valleys. There's plenty of open land outside of Utah Valley and Salt Lake Valley.
quote:
I was going to say something, but this thread was already 3 pages long and you had already cursed us all for not commenting.
I suppose I was a little impatient. But the thread was moving fast, so it seemed like my poor comment had been buried.

[ April 05, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Snarky ]

Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Jonathon K., you post like you're in a chatroom. [Smile]

Jon Boy, I imagine Utah Valley is so crowded because there's a lake on one side and mountains on the other. Once, several years ago, my wife and I drove around Utah Lake. From the west side, Provo/Orem look like they're on this thin little strip of land bordering the mountains. It was hard to believe that so many people could live on that little strip of land.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

Is that an issue? It's a pretty light subject and I figured no one would care. We're not talking about anything very important here.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Nah. *coughpostcountwhorecough*

[Big Grin]

Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

I never understood that either, who really cares how many posts a person puts up. Should I limit my posts so it will make you feel more comfortable?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Oh come on, I'm just playing with you. Post however you want. Stay here long enough, and you'll find your own happy medium. There aren't any rules about how many posts you can rack up in 5 days. Don't worry, be happy. [Smile]
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jon Boy, I imagine Utah Valley is so crowded because there's a lake on one side and mountains on the other. Once, several years ago, my wife and I drove around Utah Lake. From the west side, Provo/Orem look like they're on this thin little strip of land bordering the mountains. It was hard to believe that so many people could live on that little strip of land.
Oh, I definitely agree. It's a ridiculously narrow corridor to try to fit so many people into. And then traffic is awful because everyone's trying to squeeze through that little space. Ugh.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

well I'm happy no one's too uptight
advice for robots
Member # 2544

The only people who are uptight are the ones who don't get my sense of humor. [Wink]
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

if it wasn't for the little happy faces, it would be too subtle
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
I seem to remember them coming darn close to losing the championship to the Jazz once (and I seem to remember some appallingly bad calls that decided one pivotal game).
That game was not THAT pivotal. [Wink] And I seem to remember in that same series that the Bulls beat the Jazz by over 40 points...and was that the same game that they won even though Michael Jordan was sick with the flu (he still scored over 20 points if I remember right) or was that another one? [Big Grin]
Narnia
Member # 1071

<---- snarky Bulls fan
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
: comes into thread late :

I love Utah. Love visiting there, love the scenery, and love a certain special guy there.... *sigh*. That was a long time ago...

: leaves thread :

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.