FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gas Prices Near You (Page 2)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Gas Prices Near You
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's around $2.19 in central Florida.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.29 for the cheap stuff in Champaign Illinois.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Love this site... http://www.chicagogasprices.com/

Current low in the entire Chicago area is $2.16 <shudder> The highest in the area is $2.65 in the north Loop <even bigger shudder>

And I have to fill up tonight too, I have to drive to work tomorrow so I can get to a wake and viewing in Arlington Heights after hours. Blech.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
We have 4 main oil companies operating in New Zealand: Shell, Mobil, Caltex (which I think is Texaco), and BP (British Petroleum). It is ALWAYS BP which tries to jack prices up first, and they occasionally have to back down when the other companies don't put their prices up as well. Just yesterday they slapped another .5c a litre on the price, but had to back down because nobody else followed suit. Why anybody buys fuel from BP I can't figure out...
My question is: In the US, how do the oil companies decide to put up prices? Is there one company that takes the lead and the others follow (or not)? Is there much/any difference between the prices of one oil company and another, or do they all sit cosily on the same price? In New Zealand it's virtually impossible to find any price differentiation from one gas station to another.

[ April 05, 2005, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Cashew ]

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Other countries tax gas more heavily, which accounts for most (not all) of the price difference.

I just got gassed up, the prices for regular in Metro Boston seem to be 2.08-2.17.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Prices today that I saw ranged $2.25-$2.29 today for the lowest octane. I would imagine it's a little cheaper (gas tends to run as much as $.10 cheaper) down by my house, since I don't live in the metro area.

[ April 05, 2005, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
About $2.60 here, Montgomery Village, MD.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's around $2.10 around here for regular, on the low end. Where here is Rhode Island. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to gasoline prices anymore, since I buy diesel these days. Which, sadly, is up to $2.41 at the cheapest. I remember only a year ago when diesel was a good 20 - 30 cents cheaper than regular gas. [Cry]

But then, I still end up paying less on fuel than all of you jokers. Except for Bok, of course. [Smile]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Birmingham Alabama area.

Ranges from 2.05/gal to 2.18/gal.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Round 2 people. If you had a post on here from before, state what your gas was then (April 5), and what it is now, and again, what your location is:

Royal Oak, MI (Metro Detroit)
Then $2.37 April 5

Now $2.49 August 9

It's hard to really say Metro Detroit when it comes to gas prices. Neighboring Troy pays well over 2.50, and in Birmingham they pay over 2.60. Over in Grosse Pointe they pay into the 2.70's. Depends on how rich the area is around here.

[ August 09, 2005, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Just filled up for $2.63 for regular unleaded in Union City California (near San Jose)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oops, I forgot to specify, all prices should be for regular, not the more expensive stuff.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Filled up this morning and was appalled to see $2.49/gal. That's the highest I've ever personally seen it, I think.

edit: I'm in Bloomington, IN.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
It's around $2.30 here in Utah Valley.

When they make a hybrid minivan, we'll buy one. I'd love to have a hybrid, but they don't make them our size yet.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Honda has 10 hybrid models planned for the next 5 years. Toyota and Honda want 25% of their American exports to be hybrids by 2015. You shouldn't have to wait too long. Ford, GM and Daimler are nipping at their heels.

Side question, Stray, what do you do in Bloomington (occupation wise), I have a friend heading back there in a week for school.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
is anyone making a hybrid that will carry 7 people?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
It was 2.69 when I posted in April. It's up to 2.92 now, and threatening to go higher. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week, and have been advised to gas up before I leave.

I'm planning on buying a new car this fall, and I'm definitely considering a hybrid. I drive about 15 miles each way to work and back, and I'm hesitant to go anywhere else. It sucks to not be able to drive to the beach because of the price of gas. [Frown]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Toyota Highlander hybrid seats seven and is currently available. I think the Mercury Mariner (Ford's sophmore hybrid car) also seats seven.

The Saturn VUE is being released as a hybrid this year. The Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon, and the Dodge Durango are all in the works too as hybrids.

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a software programmer at the IU cyclotron facility, or at least I am for the next two months. Not sure what I'll be doing once this project winds up.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Love this site... http://www.chicagogasprices.com/

Current low in the entire Chicago area is $2.16 <shudder> The highest in the area is $2.65 in the north Loop <even bigger shudder>

Current average prices I see in Dupage County is 2.55. In the past week, I've seen as high as 2.80!!! And I haven't been downtown or North Loop to tell just how bad THOSE are.... The site I posted before shows lowest at 2.34 (out in Will County) and highest at 2.83.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My friend goes to IU, but I doubt you'll ever see her in the cyclotron facility. Unless there's a keg in there.
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
just paid $2.21 to gas up yesterday.

this BITES. $25.00 gets us a half-tank.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Where are you at Gryphonesse?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dayton, Ohio prices seem to mostly be around $2.49 today, or so my coworkers who went out to lunch reported.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
$2.51 (Regular) at the Gallows Road Exxon in Fairfax, VA
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go. The Toyota Sienna hybrid, due in 2007.

I'm going to start saving.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
review says you have to drive about 125k miles in the toyota to break even on gas compared to non-hybrid version at $250 a gallon

That's a long way before it starts paying off...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't factor in the value of the lack of pollution. And the less-polluting-than-thou smugness.

$2.23-$2.35 in atlanta.
$2.92?? Yikes, mauibabe.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Houston Texas, 2.42

Yippeee, sure pays to have Oil Men running our country.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
For the midrange it's $2.45, just outside of Tampa, FL.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.49 here in Oregon, WI.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Around $2.25 in Sussex, NJ (tippy tippy top of the state)
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
CDN$0.905 per litre here in Sarnia, Ontario (Canada). That's US$2.82/gal.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

ALso doesn't include the tax incentives from the government for buying hybrids.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.27 in Central New Jersey. We have plenty of oil refineries in the area, so it cuts a few cents off a gallon of gas, due to decreased shipping expense.

So, it is well worth it.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
An hour north of San Diego in the middle of nowhere...(well not really but sometimes it feels like it) it ranges between 2.57 and 2.63... I go broke trying to fill up my truck.... [Frown]
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I paid $2.26 this morning in Central Texas.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.39 in Central Pennsylvania. The highest I've ever seen it.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.44 here in Dallas.

I am moving closer to work in August, and the price of gas makes me very happy about that.

Of course, I then start commuting to school two days a week, but I'd have to do that anyway. Maybe I could even ride a bike to work. Once I buy a bike.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
ALso doesn't include the tax incentives from the government for buying hybrids.

That's a tax rebate on the price of the vehicle, though, not a rebate at the pump as far as I'm aware.

Gas prices in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Quebec were in excess of CDN$1.00 per litre when I was driving through them last week.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Gas around here seems to be about $2.47-$2.75/gallon. Icky (and not the cool one from Florida) - it's not unusual for me to drive 100 miles in one day.

[ August 10, 2005, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
That's a tax rebate on the price of the vehicle, though, not a rebate at the pump as far as I'm aware.
Yeah but, the original post was that you have to drive so long until your gas savings equals out to the increased price of a hybrid. But that doesn't include the tax incentive, which means it really is more cost effective to buy a hybrid, it doesn't just equal out after a long time.
twinky
Member # 693

Oh, I see. I wasn't aware that there were similar incentives in the U.S. in any case. How big is the rebate?
ludosti
Member # 1772

I thought the US discontinued the incentives for purchasing hybrids earlier this year. That, combined with the high cost of replacement batteries (every 2-3 years), really dampened my interest in a hybrid.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.tulsagasprices.com/
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
The Chevron near where I work in San Francisco just hit $3.10.

Luckly, I commute via public transportation.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Those incentives were discontinued yes.

New ones were created under the recently passed Energy Bill that Bush just signed.

The amount you get is based entirely on the fuel economy of the vehicle you buy. The better the MPG, the more you get back in incentives, up to 3 grand I think.

stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
Cashew, where are you getting your petrol for that price? Its averaging $1.39 here in Christchurch. And I've heard of it being around $1.44!!!! in Dunedin. Owning a car is expensive [Frown]

Edit: oh I see that was in April. Well I am paying $1.39 for just regular petrol and not super. Petrol has gone up lots since then.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay -- since oil prices on the stock market went through the roof today (66.65), the price at the pump jumped 20 cents per gallon just since I got to work this morning!

Now at $2.49/gallon.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

holy............... moley Farmgirl!!! I'm afraid to wonder what I'll get home to.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.