FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Death of the last man everyone liked.

Author Topic: Death of the last man everyone liked.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pope lived a long, good life.
Everyone liked him.
Even the guy who shot him
proclaimed love for the Pope.

So there he goes,
into the sunset,
the last man on Earth
everybody liked and respected.

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're forgetting about Vanilla Ice.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
And what about Shinehead O'Connor?

[ April 05, 2005, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right. Sinead is one of the men I adore.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we all liked Colonel Sanders, too.

With or without his wee beady eyes.

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean everyone likes her. I mean she didn't like the Pope. Or at least not pictures of him.

[ April 05, 2005, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
my dad is such a clergy hater. I think it runs in the male side of his family. He's getting worse each year. [Frown]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
A fundamentalist Christian friend of mine was distributing pamphlets in the late 80s about how the Pope had been a child molester in Poland! Serious.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really a 'friend', more of a work associate.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

They'd be lynched be Polish fundamentalist Christians if they tried to do it over here. [Wink]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

quote:
I don't mean everyone likes her. I mean she didn't like the Pope. Or at least not pictures of him.
I know. That's why I'm funny.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Could I just note that I wasn't very fond of yon Pope?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't come as much of a shock, KoM.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordache Dailey
Member # 7699

- posted      Profile for Jordache Dailey   Email Jordache Dailey         Edit/Delete Post 
no offense to anyone but dont you find it odd that the leader of one the largest religions most strainuis activitys is drooling?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I might find it offensive if I could figure out what you're talking about.

I *think* you said that I might find your drooling offensive-- let me reassure that I do not. But for pity's sake, get a napkin-- you'll short out your keyboard.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[Kiss] Scott

[ April 05, 2005, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of people didn't like him because of his conservative tendencies. In particular, near the end of his papacy he did a lot to put the brakes on tendencies to be more open to birth control, homosexuality, married clergy, and female clergy.

I disagreed with his beliefs on these issues, but I think he was a very good person with whom I simply did not agree. I base this not merely on the fact that he was pope, but on having read his life's story and seen the areas on life where our outlook is more common.

I'm actually quite pleased with how positive/generous the comments made both here and in the press have been in the wake of his death. In the last couple of years, I had read/heard a lot of people basically looking forward to his death as an opportunity to get someone more progressive in the office. I'm glad I haven't seen much of that tacky sentiment at this time.

EDIT for arrant pedantry.

[ April 05, 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
On top of the homosexuality issue, I also didn't like him for his oposition to the war in Iraq. Now I don't want to debate the war for the 15 millionth time, but I just wanted to point out that I was someone else who wasn't fond of the Pope.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it goes to show that if you have a bowl of cheerios, somebody will go out of their way to come and piss in it.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the Pope.

However, I didn't really hate him either.

So, I'm sort of indifferent here.

I guess the title is misleading. [Wink]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Kennedy died? [Eek!]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Porter, are you saying I have done this?

I don't think so.

[Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky, I don't think you did this. In fact, you did the opposite. [Smile]

*goes on to ponder what the opposite of pissing in cheerios is*

*reaches conclusion*

If anything, you put some sugar in the cheerios! [Big Grin]

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well now that we established that we should all get back to the real purpose of this thread, admiring how funny I am or this whole thread shall be wasted at the time of my coming.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess it goes to show that if you have a bowl of cheerios, somebody will go out of their way to come and piss in it.
You have to admit, this particular bowl of cheerios was asking to be pissed in. I understand that John Paul II was admired by a larger portion of the non-Catholic world than previous popes, but when someone says that everyone likes someone or something, you have to expect that people who do not like that person or thing will come and express their dissent.

I don't think it was anyone's intention to smear the man--at last, anyone who could write coherently. I think they just wanted to prove that the absurd overstatement that everyone liked John Paul II was false.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Thanks, Porter. [Smile]

-o-

quote:
*goes on to ponder what the opposite of pissing in cheerios is*

*reaches conclusion*

If anything, you put some sugar in the cheerios! [Big Grin]

But . . . if I'm diabetic, I could actually be doing both at the same time! [Angst]
Portabello
Member # 7710

>.<
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I have had lots of bowls of cherios in the past, and noone has ever tried to piss in them.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Corn flakes, on the other hand . . .
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
yeah.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

The word piss is just crass enough to make you think it's Anglo Saxon in origin. But it's not! It's French!

Yes, even the refined Latinates resort to onomatopœia from time to time.

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

Also, once the Pope was coming to Denver for World Youth Day. My mom decided to invite him to dinner while he was in town. She sent him a nice letter with the invitation, and we got back a very nice letter declining. It was written by one of his cardinals, and said "Thank you for your gracious invitation, but His Holiness must regretfully decline." It was quite polite, and came on very fancy stationery.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just crass enough to make you think it's Anglo Saxon in origin
I resent that.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

quote:
I resent that.
Eh.... so does yer momma Grendel.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.