FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hitchhiker Movie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hitchhiker Movie
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yesterday I caught a preview of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Movie.

Oh, man. What happened? Hollywood once again proves that they can't take a good BBC SF show and not try to vamp it up with too much glitz and action.

I am supremely disappointed. Anyone else feel this way, or know anything that might make me want to see this... thing?

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reserving judgment.

But the teaser was so awesome that I am hopeful that the humour of the original can still be glimpsed in the movie.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that teaser had me wetting myself. It was quite embarassing. [Smile]

Actually, I'm waiting too. I plan to enjoy it anyway, because it'll be a good movie, even if it isn't a stellar adaptation of the book.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I am anxious to hear Alan Rickman read off some of Marvin's best lines. I will enjoy it for that, even if everything else sucks (and I don't think it will).

[ April 05, 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
*resists urge to be snarky*
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

I dunno. Maybe I'm just sick of effects-based movies. Particularly when based upon such a well written show (both radio and television).

What was great about the BBC stuff from the seventies and eighties. Well, it wasn't the effects. It was the plots, the characters, the acting, and the writing . Not the rubber monsters.

Grrr.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always close your eyes in the theatre.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Yeah. That's a great idea.

But I've got a better one: why don't I just shred this $10 bill and save time. [Big Grin]

Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*resists urge to be snarky*
SNARKY?!? Someone's angry enough to make up words
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Snarky is a word
From dictionary.com
quote:
Irritable or short-tempered; irascible

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Snarky is a real word

http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=snarky&x=19&y=22
quote:

Main Entry: snarky
Pronunciation: 'snär-kE
Function: adjective
Etymology: dialect snark to annoy, perhaps alteration of nark to irritate
: CROTCHETY, SNAPPISH

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

My goal for the day is to use the word crochety in casual conversation.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the preview was good. Sure there was the special effects thing...but the humor of the preview fit the books rather well.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

As in "That's a really crotchety sweater?" [Confused]
fiazko
Member # 5812

I don't know, Port. "Snappish" has a nice ring to it.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Did you see the trailer that was a guide entry on trailers?

I would think that would quell most of your concerns as they poke much fun at the hollywood explosions and girls-in-next-to-nothing trailers...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Made-up?! I'm a real person with FEELINGS, thank-you-very-much.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
yay! I just used crotchety.

Cow-orker: "(Other cow-orker) is very grumpy today."
Me: "You mean she's crotchety?"
Cow-orker: "Yeah."

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

*psst* Do you mean "co-worker"? [Wink]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

or maybe she works on a farm?
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe she works with me?
Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

Ok, then what's an "orker"?
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
cow orker: n.
[Usenet] n. fortuitous typo for co-worker, widely used in Usenet, with perhaps a hint that orking cows is illegal. This term was popularized by Scott Adams (the creator of Dilbert) but already appears in the January 1996 version of the scary devil monastery FAQ, and has been traced back to a 1989 sig block. Compare hing, grilf, filk, newsfroup.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orker
Member # 7737

- posted      Profile for orker   Email orker         Edit/Delete Post 
I am what I am.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

I stand enlightened.
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks neat. I’m just hoping it’s better then the book. I read it for the movie but didn’t like it. So…. I’m just hopeful.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hollywood once again proves that they can't take a good BBC SF show and not try to vamp it up with too much glitz and action.

Wait, are they basing it on the show based on the book, or the book itself?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

AFAIK, it's based onthe book, but every version is slightly different, i.e. there's a new character inthe movie that was written specifically for the movie by Adams.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

And remember, the book was based on a show before they based two shows on the book.

DNA said somewhere that he deliberately tried to make each version a little different...

fiazko
Member # 5812

I forgot about that, Jim. (I skipped the intro this time through. Oops.)
Portabello
Member # 7710

He goes on and on about that in his introduction to The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide.

Talking about The Hitchhiker's Guid to the Galaxy: The Original Radio Scripts, he says:
quote:
The book is, as the title suggests, a collection of tall the radio scripts, as broadcast, and it is therefore the only example of one Hitchhiker publication accurately and consistently reflecting another. I feel a little uncomfortable with this -- which is why the introduction to that book was written after the final and definitive one you are now reading and, of course, flatly contradicts it.

Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
Both trailers I've seen have me thinking they might accually pull it off. The first and very short one with the song, "What a wonderful world" and then stopping abruptly to destroy the earth and in the middle of it for just a second show the words, "Don't Panic!" and the other trailer that's a guide to trailers was pretty darn funny. Especially the deep voice part.

Action doesn't have to be a bad thing, as long as they remember first that it's a comedy which they seem to be making sure anyone who doesn't know the books know it.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Well, I feel a little better about it now.

But I'm watching them.... [Grumble]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

quote:

cow orker: n.
[Usenet] n. fortuitous typo for co-worker, widely used in Usenet, with perhaps a hint that orking cows is illegal. This term was popularized by Scott Adams (the creator of Dilbert) but already appears in the January 1996 version of the scary devil monastery FAQ, and has been traced back to a 1989 sig block. Compare hing, grilf, filk, newsfroup.

.... Dang... you really can tell where I've been by my slang.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
nark = irritate
uh [Roll Eyes] sure...
"snap'n'bark"y

[ April 05, 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I have but one question. Are we going to hear about how towels are the most useful thing in the galaxy? Because I was planning on taking a towel with me when I go see it......
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

I've always wanted to use the term "scrotal"
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

Towels, the lightsabers of Hitchhiker's guide. That's not a bad idea to bring to the threatre

*imagines people snaping towles at each other on opening night*

[ April 05, 2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Mr.Gumby ]

aspectre
Member # 2222

If yer gonna hitchhike, the first thing ya gotta do is scrotal: ie score a towel.

[ April 05, 2005, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I need to remember that. I'll call my friend, we're going to go see it together because I forced him to read the book, and say," You need to scrotal!" He'll be so confused. In one of the trailers Ford says something about needing a towel so I'm taking one. Maybe it could be a Hatrack (and friends) statement. Take a towel with you to see the movie. Who wants to do it?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Cause a mall patrol riot: sell towels while waiting for the showing to start.
"I saw you bought a ticket to Hitchhike. Need a towel?"
Shake head and tsk with pitying look if they refuse.

[ April 05, 2005, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'll do it if you do. [Big Grin]
Member # 7476

I just saw the trailer in the right before Sin City. It looked amazing. I can't wait! But then again I'm a fanboy. Of course I'll have my towel.
On a side note I have the 42nd post. I'm in fanboy heaven. [Wink]

[ April 05, 2005, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm ABSOLUTELY bringing a towel with me when I go see it! Dad and I are planning to go opening night (cause we're weird - we don't usually do opening day shows - and cause Mom has the day off to watch my kids for me)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I was going to go the night it came out and take a towel with me......thats all I had planned. I think they need to make a real Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the way it was described in the books, except for Mostly Harmless; I don't want a bird to explain stuff to me. [Razz]
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with the Executive Producer, Robbie Stamp, a few days ago. After seeing his presentation the previous night as part of the Melbourne Comedy Festival and spending half an hour with the guy for an interview for the magazine I write for I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Stamp was a friend and business partner of DNA's for the 10 years leading up to his death. When the team chose the writer to massage the last draft Adams' was working prior to his death they went with someone who worked exclusively with material that Adams himself had written - they felt it was vitally important for no-one else to try and be "Adams-y", but to dip into the huge pool of writing that was left. Stamp had DNA's entire hard-drive copied to his. Apparently there was just tons of stufff - as anyone who's read "Salmon of Doubt" knows.

Obviously the presentation and the interview is all a part of the sales pitch for the movie, but it's heartening to know that most of the character and plot choices were ones that Adams himself had proposed. Even Humma Kavala - if you've heard enough to know who that is.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Adams himself constantly maintained that none of the various editions of his work were consistent with each other and (to paraphrase) always relished a chance to set the record wrong definitively.

Adams was the only celeb that I felt a personal connection to, with absolutely no justification, of course. He once replied to an email I wrote. That's it. But he's only celeb who's passing I mourned... I've given away that many copies of "Last Chance To See"....

So to cut a rambling post short: Yay Adams! (Cautious) Yay Hitchhiker's Guide Movie!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Man was I wrong:

http://www.planetmagrathea.com/shortreview.html

There's a spoiler and non-spoiler version. Neither written by me, in case it was in question.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! Guess I'll be waiting for some of the 'Rackers to go and tell me if it's worth eight bucks.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
Featurette on the Guide

That quelled any doubts I had about this movie.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
The meeting between Ford and Beeblebrox is one of my favourite bits in the book. It looks like they changed it completely in the movie to make them actually happy to see each other.

EDIT: Plus I don't know how British Humour can be carried out without British accents. It's an elemental part of it.

[ April 10, 2005, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.